No registration required

the ics update is "almost here"

OP samwest39

26th April 2012, 07:14 PM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 13

59 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabGuy

I'm selling my couch. It hasn't had any upgrades in the 3 years that I've had it. I'm mad as hell and not gonna take it any more. And, it cost 4 times as much as my Galaxy Tab so you can imagine how mad I am at the manufacturer. I'm never buying their products ever again.

**Picture me stomping my feet with my fists clenched and eyes squeezed shut**

But wait. My wife says to me, "Honey, the couch still does what you bought it to do. Let's keep it."

Geez, did she have go and be so logical just when I had a my child-like pout going?

If there was a manufacturer that did yearly cushion upgrades, I think you would be pretty upset if yours didn't.

Apple has raised the bar in customer satisfaction AFTER the purchase and many companies are struggling to keep up. They have thrived on the user experience throughout the products life cycle, while many companies are still only giving you the product. While that business operating scheme may have worked in the past, companies like Sony know it doesn't work anymore.

Delaying updates on perfectly good hardware because you are trying to push your new hardware will simply turn people off and send them elsewhere now. That is exactly what you are seeing with most manufacturers. The first one to realize this, besides Apple, will do quite well in the future.
Last edited by phat78boy; 26th April 2012 at 07:22 PM.
26th April 2012, 09:44 PM   |  #32  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 63

313 posts
Well, this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy: Sony Tablet S gets ICS today.

Thats TODAY. Not, some unspecified time in the future, not soon, not next month, not when pigs fly or when hell freezes over and the flying pigs are turned into pig popsicles. Actually today. Go figure. http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/26/s...ream-sandwich/
The Following User Says Thank You to Digital Man For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th April 2012, 09:50 PM   |  #33  
Thanks Meter: 94

1,255 posts
Thanks, you made me chuckle.
26th April 2012, 09:54 PM   |  #34  
Flag Apopka, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,205

2,489 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man

Thats TODAY. Not, some unspecified time in the future, not soon, not next month, not when pigs fly or when hell freezes over and the flying pigs are turned into pig popsicles. Actually today. Go figure. http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/26/s...ream-sandwich/

You've seen police helicopters, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to eXplicit815 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th April 2012, 11:43 PM   |  #35  
El Lay / Hollyweird
Thanks Meter: 63

377 posts
More
The leaked Verizon update list on Droid - Life shows an OTA for their GT 10.1 for 5/03. Whether it be ICS or a bug fix, who knows....

Make of it what you will.
27th April 2012, 02:10 AM   |  #36  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 1,863

3,306 posts
More
Samsung replied to one of my Facebook posts yesterday saying "we are working closely with Google to create an update for the p7510"... That's BS, Samsung has everything they need from Google. So obviously it's not close to a release from their reply.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
27th April 2012, 02:41 AM   |  #37  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
got me
Quote:
Originally Posted by badogg

as funny as that is, you are spot on. My gtab 10.1 works just fine on hc3.2. I have the option to run an ics rom. I am perfectly fine being patient for the ota.

i really thought it was a bug on my screen!!!!!!!! Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!
27th April 2012, 02:54 AM   |  #38  
Flag Oil- and Cowtown, AB
Thanks Meter: 48

215 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towle

Samsung replied to one of my Facebook posts yesterday saying "we are working closely with Google to create an update for the p7510"... That's BS, Samsung has everything they need from Google. So obviously it's not close to a release from their reply.

It could be that some drivers for the p7510 (camera?) give some issues with the ICS port. As I said in another post: it looks to me that the relationship between Samsung and Google has degraded a bit and Samsung has been demoted from preferred customer to somewhere in the middle of the pack. As the specs of the Tab and Tab 2 do not differ that much it would be easy to release both ICS's at the same time. Marketing could be holding back the upgrade, or just some issue-resolution could be at the back of this...
27th April 2012, 02:56 AM   |  #39  
Flag Valencia
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man

Thats TODAY. Not, some unspecified time in the future, not soon, not next month, not when pigs fly or when hell freezes over and the flying pigs are turned into pig popsicles. Actually today. Go figure.

**** that... My mom called me to ask if it was ok to go ahead and do an "upgrade thingie" to her Sony Tablet S, when I asked her to be more specific and she told me "it's something like system version 4.0.3..." I almost broke my phone in rage hahaha
**** my mom got ICS before me hahaha Thank you Samsung I despise you!
27th April 2012, 04:59 AM   |  #40  
Thanks Meter: 2

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phat78boy

If there was a manufacturer that did yearly cushion upgrades, I think you would be pretty upset if yours didn't.

Apple has raised the bar in customer satisfaction AFTER the purchase and many companies are struggling to keep up. They have thrived on the user experience throughout the products life cycle, while many companies are still only giving you the product. While that business operating scheme may have worked in the past, companies like Sony know it doesn't work anymore.

Delaying updates on perfectly good hardware because you are trying to push your new hardware will simply turn people off and send them elsewhere now. That is exactly what you are seeing with most manufacturers. The first one to realize this, besides Apple, will do quite well in the future.

It's funny to have you mention about Apple. Did apple allow Siri to run on other devices? Or they just use it so that they can sell more 4S? And for updates, have you try to update your iDevices from 5.0 to 5.1? Can you see any different?
I know a lot people got frustrated because "even my mom have ICS now". But you can ask any friend of you who have Galaxy S2, they was crying for ICS also. When S2 have the update, they all get excited, but after a few days they realize that it cannot transform their S2 into S3. Asked them how much it have changed and their reply is "don't know, but it's great to be updated with the latest Android build". That's all. Although you can see that usually, Android updates have much more features changed in compare with iOS.
I think many people was like, just ICS, what is a big deal, a lot of devices already have it. Even some hobbyist developer can do it so what take Samsung so long to make it. But things are not as simple as you may have thought. Because what Samsung need to deliver to us is not just ICS. It is another version of ICS that fully customized, optimized for your devices. The more customization, the more work need to be done. And that why some devices with less customization got update first. Even if they have done the work with the customization, optimization, there are still plenty of things for they to do: testing and improve the firmware until it get to the satisfaction level. For example in Galaxy S Froyo update, There was plenty of leak builds in this XDA forum, and a few months after the first Samsung's Froyo Firmware leak before Samsung released the official build to everybody. Xda-developers always have statement like "Flash at your own risk" but Samsung cannot say so. Xda-developer can release build even daily but Samsung cannot do so. It would be very bad if everyone need to update their devices after a short time. The stability is also a very big issue, there are no point to have ICS but when you try to do something simple, it go wrong...

My 2 year olds Galaxy S still have update last month so I think it is not like Samsung totally forgot the customers after they have sold the device.But yes, I think Samsung could pleased us more if they hire more man power to providing updates (but i think there are no point to move man power from new device development to update development, the fact is new firmware work best with new hardware). I hope with the great profit they've just made last quarter, they should invest more in that area to give their customers more satisfactory.

I'm still waiting for the ICS but I think there are no point to be pissed off because it's haven't came yet. I still can use my tablet now. But I will be really pissed of if Samsung deliver it poorly, buggy, laggy..., they should better make it worth the wait.

The Following User Says Thank You to ronaldo5285 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread