Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Fascinate Bluetooth stereo bug in Samsung code fixed in cyanogenmod

OP Zong00

16th April 2012, 04:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
I've been happily running the GEEWIZ 2.6 ROM alternately with GEEWIZ kernel and KGB kernel. No problems at all except for the Stereo Bluetooth connection to my car.

The phone works great on newer versions of my car 2009 Acura TSX and other phones work fine on my car.

Well I (via Google) finally narrowed the problem down. There is a bug in the native android 2.2 and 2.3 code that Samsung pushes right through. HTC for example fixed the code in their phones.

Google this: "Issue 9888:Poor A2DP sound quality". I added the word Acura as well.

Cyanogenmod 7.2 RC1 does not have this bug and the phone sounds fine on my car. Would it be possible to extract or port the A2DP code from Cyanogenmod 7 and place it into GEEWIZ or other more stock ROM's?

The reason I want to stay more stock is that I can't get SMS delivery confirmation to work in Cyanogenmod 7 or 9 or Gummy 1.0 and SMS confirmation works well in GEEWIZ 2.6.

I have tried GO and HandCent SMS clients in addition to stock and have checked all combination's of receive and sent notifications and delivery requests and reports. None work. Texts get through fine just no confirmation. Verizon to Verizon should work.

I don't have enough posts to post in the Dev/GEEWIZ thread. Can someone help or cross post please? I've read until I'm blue in the face on both of these issues. ;)

BTW, I have 2 fascinates and both act exactly the same.

Thanks!
17th April 2012, 05:25 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 989
 
801 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zong00

I've been happily running the GEEWIZ 2.6 ROM alternately with GEEWIZ kernel and KGB kernel. No problems at all except for the Stereo Bluetooth connection to my car.

The phone works great on newer versions of my car 2009 Acura TSX and other phones work fine on my car.

Well I (via Google) finally narrowed the problem down. There is a bug in the native android 2.2 and 2.3 code that Samsung pushes right through. HTC for example fixed the code in their phones.

Google this: "Issue 9888:Poor A2DP sound quality". I added the word Acura as well.

Cyanogenmod 7.2 RC1 does not have this bug and the phone sounds fine on my car. Would it be possible to extract or port the A2DP code from Cyanogenmod 7 and place it into GEEWIZ or other more stock ROM's?

The reason I want to stay more stock is that I can't get SMS delivery confirmation to work in Cyanogenmod 7 or 9 or Gummy 1.0 and SMS confirmation works well in GEEWIZ 2.6.

I have tried GO and HandCent SMS clients in addition to stock and have checked all combination's of receive and sent notifications and delivery requests and reports. None work. Texts get through fine just no confirmation. Verizon to Verizon should work.

I don't have enough posts to post in the Dev/GEEWIZ thread. Can someone help or cross post please? I've read until I'm blue in the face on both of these issues. ;)

BTW, I have 2 fascinates and both act exactly the same.

Thanks!

No problem, I'll have a look at it for you and see if I can fix that in GeeWiz for the final release. Thanks for PMing me, by the way, I was about to post GW 2.8, but I would like to be able to include this too!
The Following User Says Thank You to djp952 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 06:24 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Smile thanks
I would be happy to test any change. I'm getting used to flashing every night now. ;)
18th April 2012, 06:23 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 989
 
801 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
Well, I ported over what I *thought* was everything they did in CM 7.2 and all that I managed to do was destroy the ability to pair with a device so far

I dug out my old BT audio receiver and I can certainly hear that it sounds like garbage by default. Well, it wasn't THAT bad but I do see, er hear, what you are talking about.

My concern is that my receiver is old and crappy (it is), and I may never be able to actually hear any difference. That said, I will keep trying for a while, if I can at least pair with the receiver after changing something I will pass it along to you and see if it does something useful for ya!
18th April 2012, 11:26 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
From what I understand the Fascinate with stock software works on older Bluetooth devices OK. I don't know that for sure because I don't have an older bluetooth device. On my car, the stock Fascinate does not have any fidelity, it produces sound via bluetooth like an AM radio with clicking sounds. When updated to Cyanogenmod 7.2, the sound is very FM like with no clicking sounds.

I appreciate the effort!

thanks,
Last edited by Zong00; 19th April 2012 at 11:47 AM.
25th April 2012, 05:43 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 989
 
801 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
OK, I finally got back to this. I was replacing too many modules, I toned it down a bit to just replace the bluez audio module and the a2dp module. I can absolutely hear a difference now!

It's still Bluetooth, aka not perfect, but I can crank the volume on the Fascinate up much louder before it "splats" (that's a very technical audio term) and overall it just sounds much much better.

I've attached a test version of an update-zip you can try. Should work with Clockwork Mod and/or my GeeWiz Recovery, but I've only tested with the latter of course . I will be making a more official version for GeeWiz 2.8 (I may go ahead and release a 2.8.1 with this, it's a pretty big fix -- who cares if I said there would be no more updates, right? LOL)

THANK YOU for pointing this out to me!! Let me know what you think!
Attached Files
File Type: zip bt-update-test.zip - [Click for QR Code] (258.3 KB, 12 views)
26th April 2012, 03:42 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Not yet
No joy -

First I tried loading the patch over fullwipe GEEWIZ 2.8 and KGB 12/31.
Next I tried loading the GEEWIZ kernel over the KGB kernel.
And finally I tried loading the full 2.8.1 system file.

The sound is still not nearly as clear as Cyanogen 7.2 RC1.

I'm sure if the new build is somewhere in the middle or not. Seems like the full fidelity is present now but the clicking sound is still present.

Cyanogen BT is as clear as a direct audio connection. At least to my old ears.

I'll revert back to 2.8 and try the audio test again.

Do you think a full wipe would help - can't imagine why.
26th April 2012, 04:29 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 989
 
801 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zong00

No joy -

First I tried loading the patch over fullwipe GEEWIZ 2.8 and KGB 12/31.
Next I tried loading the GEEWIZ kernel over the KGB kernel.
And finally I tried loading the full 2.8.1 system file.

The sound is still not nearly as clear as Cyanogen 7.2 RC1.

I'm sure if the new build is somewhere in the middle or not. Seems like the full fidelity is present now but the clicking sound is still present.

Cyanogen BT is as clear as a direct audio connection. At least to my old ears.

I'll revert back to 2.8 and try the audio test again.

Do you think a full wipe would help - can't imagine why.

Full wipe probably wouldn't do anything for ya, no. When you say clicking, is it fairly often, or more like once per song? I get what sounds more like a skip (to me) about once per song, I didn't think it was the same complaint, but perhaps it is? If so, at least I can duplicate it, so that's good.

I'm not sure if much more can be done, the only remaining difference is the audio.conf (trivial changes) and the libbluetooth C library itself, and replacing the latter causes the Fascinate to not be able to pair. I think source would be required to properly replace that module (CyanogenMod has that particular luxury). It could be in the Java code, though. If that's the case it can still be fixed.

I'll poke around some more and see if I can do anything else for ya. I was jamming all night over bluetooth last night, honestly I didn't even know the device could do that a few days ago - LOL.
27th April 2012, 12:26 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp952

Full wipe probably wouldn't do anything for ya, no. When you say clicking, is it fairly often, or more like once per song? I get what sounds more like a skip (to me) about once per song, I didn't think it was the same complaint, but perhaps it is? If so, at least I can duplicate it, so that's good.

I'm not sure if much more can be done, the only remaining difference is the audio.conf (trivial changes) and the libbluetooth C library itself, and replacing the latter causes the Fascinate to not be able to pair. I think source would be required to properly replace that module (CyanogenMod has that particular luxury). It could be in the Java code, though. If that's the case it can still be fixed.

I'll poke around some more and see if I can do anything else for ya. I was jamming all night over Bluetooth last night, honestly I didn't even know the device could do that a few days ago - LOL.

The clicking sound in my car occurs several times a second and its really obvious. Acura blamed the phone (Samsung) saying just that the phone wasn't compatible but I wasn't convinced until I found the Android bug ID.

I really appreciate the effort and it sounds like you fixed a problem just not my problem. ;)

I'm considering a Galaxy III this summer but Samsung has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Let me know if you come up with anything else to try.

thanks!
30th April 2012, 07:10 AM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 989
 
801 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
Well, I spent some more time on this, and found that Samsung actually does include the BT code with their public distribution. So ... I spent some time merging that with the Cyanogenmod code that's currently available on github, and gave it a try. Short version: fail. Sounds like crap again and still skips intermittently for me. I can't replicate your more frequent skip, I'm afraid, but this was certainly a step backwards regardless.

Next I tried replacing all the modules my custom build generated with the ones from CyanogenMod 7.2 RC1. Even bigger fail, no bluetooth at all.

Using custom build with the BLUEZ modules from CyanogenMod restored the sound quality but it still skipped. Basically back where I started, so fail. I don't see the code edits they made that improve the fidelity so much, maybe they haven't committed them yet?

Last try was to set Master=true in the system/etc/bluetooth/audio.conf file on top of everything else. Still skips, but maybe a little less often? Still chalking it up as a fail.

So I think I'm not going to be able to fix this for you. There's a chance that what they did in CM 7.2 RC1 is just not posted yet and I can still make a custom set of binaries that will work, but I'm not very optimistic about it. I think what I did in GW 2.8.1 is pretty much as good as I can get it. Sorry

I did the best I could. For what it's worth, BT audio on my Fascinate is light years better than it is on my Galaxy Nexus at the moment. Not much consolation for you, but it's something I guess. The fact that I was able to generate a set of working BT binaries from source is also a good thing, even if they didn't solve anything since that means if I even stumble upon the fix it's something I can build myself!

You're welcome to try my final attempt, I've attached the .zip to this post. This is a custom BT module build with the BLUEZ modules with the ones from CM 7.2 RC1 and the master=true setting in audio.conf. I really don't think it will solve anything for you, but the only way to be sure is to try, right?
Attached Files
File Type: zip bt-update2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (649.7 KB, 11 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to djp952 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes