Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 44,013 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Old Versions .... ???

Tip us?

mojosingle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Question Old Versions .... ???

Is there any site or source on the web that provides downloads of old versions of Android Market apps? This would be for apps that are now updated or no longer available on the Market? I am looking for a site similar to "OldVersion.com" which has some old/classic PC software (but this would be something for android apps instead)?

Thanks if anyone knows of a source or sites.

mojosingle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Unhappy CustomShortcut gone?

The app that I am looking for in the above post was a free one called CustomShortcut APK. I now have it on one of my two phones (the other phone had it but was lost and replaced). I have tried looking for a developer page for this app but no luck as everything seems to point back to android market as the source link for download.

Does anyone know of a way or source for me to get this APK back on my other phone? Is there a way to copy it from one phone to the other? I am assuming that it was removed from the market because it may not be compatible with ICS but I am not running ICS. The application was made by appli.club.

85gallon
Old
Thanks Meter 678
Are you rooted? If so use root explorer to look for the .apk in the /system/app folder and copy or email it to the other phone and install it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

mojosingle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85gallon View Post
Are you rooted? If so use root explorer to look for the .apk in the /system/app folder and copy or email it to the other phone and install it.
No sadly I am not rooted. Is that how this could be done? I have an HTC phone (Sensation) and I like my "sense" gui. Don't want to wipe it out by rooting (that is what would happen, right?) If access to the apk is possible with rooting, then I guess my question would be, does anyone else here have CustomCut on their rooted phone? (Or possibly know of any website that would have those apk's available for download). I would be willing to pay if someone would take the time to send me a replacement copy.

texten
Old
Thanks Meter 1,543

DONATE TO ME
just google for any app you want like this:

"title" "versionnumber" "apk" "download"

for example:

android market 2.9 apk download
The Following User Says Thank You to texten For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

85gallon
Old
Thanks Meter 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojosingle View Post
No sadly I am not rooted. Is that how this could be done? I have an HTC phone (Sensation) and I like my "sense" gui. Don't want to wipe it out by rooting (that is what would happen, right?) If access to the apk is possible with rooting, then I guess my question would be, does anyone else here have CustomCut on their rooted phone? (Or possibly know of any website that would have those apk's available for download). I would be willing to pay if someone would take the time to send me a replacement copy.
Rooting will not wipe out your phone or change it other than giving you super user privileges. That way you will have access to get to the system apps folder.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
The Following User Says Thank You to 85gallon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spunker88
Old
Thanks Meter 333
I notice apktop keeps old versions around. But part of the reason I like Titanium backup is because I have a fail safe if a new update to an app is bad, as I can just restore from the last backup the older version.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1
The Following User Says Thank You to spunker88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mojosingle
Old
(Last edited by mojosingle; 27th April 2012 at 07:10 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85gallon View Post
Rooting will not wipe out your phone or change it other than giving you super user privileges. That way you will have access to get to the system apps folder.
Well I am not really too concerned about it wiping out my phone, but I thought I had read many posts here talking about once you root your phone the native skin from the manufacturer is eliminated (for HTC that would be the "Sense" user interface). Can you please confirm? Is this not true? HTC Sense will remain exactly the same after rooting my phone?

The other thing that has made me cautious is that my phone runs perfectly now and I see so many threads on the xda boards here and over at various android forums that start off with "My ____ app is not working right since I rooted...." Just a little daunting for a newbie like myself.

mojosingle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunker88 View Post
I notice apktop keeps old versions around. But part of the reason I like Titanium backup is because I have a fail safe if a new update to an app is bad, as I can just restore from the last backup the older version.
Thanks very much for the site suggestion. I have been trying to search for the CustomShortcut APK over there but no luck ...so far (the site search is not that easy to use). I have even tried to seach the site externally using google but, unfortunately, still no luck.

85gallon
Old
Thanks Meter 678
Wait for someone else to confirm on the htc, but nothing changed on my droidx. I just had superuser privs. All of the "this app quit working" is when people flash custom roms. You don't do that when you just root. But you have to be rooted in order to do things like that. Lol.

Rooting gives you the power to do that if you want to.

When I rooted my droidx, I did it just so I could have the power to do other things if I wanted. I am still on factory rom. But I am able to get to parts of the phone that are off limits if I wasnt rooted. I made it where I could tether, later I got rid of bloatware, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to 85gallon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]