Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,274 Members 39,329 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help me decide between the Galaxy Nexus and 4G LTE

Tip us?

Flowsick
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Galaxy Nexus all day. It's a Nexus, what more do you need?
Sprint Galaxy Nexus
CM10 Nightlies
Franco's kernel

Retired: Motorola backflip, Droid X, Motorola Atrix, OG Evo, Galaxy S

“Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?” -Bill Hicks

patass
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
upgrades and new lines
The Following User Says Thank You to patass For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vanshmack
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Samsung had it's day, and the last decent Samsung smartphone IMHO was the i700, circa 2004. Since then, build quality has declined, and the devices feel cheap. Hardware is no contest when comparing to the EVO LTE. Cell signal will be superior due to the processor, the camera will be unbelievable, and the audio system will be unparalleled in the Android world.

The Galaxy Nexus is already old news, outdated, and halfway through it's life cycle.

I'll take the superior hardware of the HTC any day, as I know there will be Dev support, and if you must have AOSP, you know that will be on the way, with it only being a matter of time. The original EVO was first rooted 2 weeks prior to it's release, so I have no doubts the same will be true for the LTE.

Overall, the HTC is just a vastly superior phone.

patass
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
yes yes, and then the galaxy s3, and then super pone 87, and then 2012 and the world ends. It's impossible to keep up unless you want to shell out roughly 500 bucks every few months. I like the nexus, I wanted the on screen touch buttons, i'm sure i'll be happy.

scottspa74
Old
Thanks Meter 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanshmack View Post
The original EVO was first rooted 2 weeks prior to it's release, so I have no doubts the same will be true for the LTE.

Overall, the HTC is just a vastly superior phone.
This is where I have some concern. The OG Evo was rooted immediately for 2 reasons. 1) they were handed out freely at Google IO before release, and 2) Android 2.1 had way more holes. ( #2 is just speculation on my part).

Since the Evo, HTC has stepped up its bootloader locking game. Some of the newer devices have had to wait quite a while before getting s-off or even root (if I remember correctly). I know HTC has set up the HTC dev site, but from what I understand, that still leaves S-on. Unlocked, but S-on OOW (which, I'm not really concerned with the OOW since I accept that warranty is void once I root)

IDK. Just some thoughts. If anyone wants to correct me on any of this, please do. I'm sure I got some stuff wrong here.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium
Evo LTE=$XXX.XX ~ XDADevs = PRICELESS
------
Evo LTE. AKA "the beast" . Thanks regaw_lienad, you're a genius.
ROM: AOKP
Kernel: komodo v7
Hboot: lazy panda S-off 1.12.222

Evo 4G HW002
Rom: Deck GB
Kernel: SZ 0.savaged zen21
Recovery: AmonRa 1.80

- thanks whitslack & fastRX8 & Netarchy & Toast, of course. - my Evo: the house that toast built (& many other XDAers)- thank you all

vanshmack
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by patass View Post
yes yes, and then the galaxy s3, and then super pone 87, and then 2012 and the world ends. It's impossible to keep up unless you want to shell out roughly 500 bucks every few months. I like the nexus, I wanted the on screen touch buttons, i'm sure i'll be happy.

A phone is a highly personal choice, so I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Aside from the camera, it's an upgrade from our EVO, but I just don't think it's the quantum leap over the LTE will be. And that's what made the choice for me, as well as handling a Galaxy Nexus that my sister-in-law just picked up. It wasn't much faster than my CM7 equipped EVO. Really, it's a testament to how amazing the OG EVO was: Even now, 2 years later, there is not yet a phone on the market that is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the EVO. But I think that changes with the LTE.

I just wonder what you would have bought if the EVO LTE was available right now at the store, along side Nexus!

Anyway, enjoy your purchase!
Smartphone Resume:
Audiovox Thera (2004)
Samsung i700 (2004-2005)
Verizon PPC 6600 (2005-2006)
Audiovox 6700 (2006-2007)
HTC 6800 (2007)
HTC Touch (2007-2008)
HTC Touch Diamond (2008-2009)
HTC Hero (2009-2010)
HTC EVO 4G (2010-2012)
HTC EVO 4G LTE (2012-2013)
HTC One (M7) (2013-2014)
HTC One Harman Kardon Edition (M8) (2014-Present)

patass
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
the latest cm7 rc crashes my evo constantly, with all the kernels ive tried including stock. yes of course i full wipe with the latest cwm. my evo was largely a laggy mess even on stock.

scottspa74
Old
Thanks Meter 2,810
I would likely attribute that to using CWM instead of amonRA.

Also, I can't, for the life of me, find the sgsIII VS Evo LTE thread ANYWHERE all of a sudden, so I'll put this here. Hope that's OK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17862656

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium
Evo LTE=$XXX.XX ~ XDADevs = PRICELESS
------
Evo LTE. AKA "the beast" . Thanks regaw_lienad, you're a genius.
ROM: AOKP
Kernel: komodo v7
Hboot: lazy panda S-off 1.12.222

Evo 4G HW002
Rom: Deck GB
Kernel: SZ 0.savaged zen21
Recovery: AmonRa 1.80

- thanks whitslack & fastRX8 & Netarchy & Toast, of course. - my Evo: the house that toast built (& many other XDAers)- thank you all

patass
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
i used to use amon ra too, it was the same story. i probably just had a weird phone. i had two instances of a perfectly working phone, once with cm7 rc1 and once with one of the evo 3d copy cat roms by mik

vanshmack
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I've flashed CM with both AmonRa and CWM with no issues from either one. I also wipe everything in the same order 3x before each flash, too.

Still, I'm sure it's possible to have hardware that doesn't play well with certain updates.

I'm actually on my second EVO now. The first one was replaced under insurance about 7 months ago when it popped out of it's holster and landed on the concrete at Disneyland, shattering the screen. The thing I've noticed with the replacement phone is that the battery life was much worse than before...And that's with the same battery as the first one. I've finally found a combo on the new one that gives good battery life, but that's after flashing Tiamat 4.1-SBC over the April 22 CWM nightly, underclocking the CPU, then undervolting by 100 MV across the board. My old phone didn't need any of that to get me through a couple of days of normal use.
Smartphone Resume:
Audiovox Thera (2004)
Samsung i700 (2004-2005)
Verizon PPC 6600 (2005-2006)
Audiovox 6700 (2006-2007)
HTC 6800 (2007)
HTC Touch (2007-2008)
HTC Touch Diamond (2008-2009)
HTC Hero (2009-2010)
HTC EVO 4G (2010-2012)
HTC EVO 4G LTE (2012-2013)
HTC One (M7) (2013-2014)
HTC One Harman Kardon Edition (M8) (2014-Present)