Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,749 Members 40,225 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Should I buy the Skyrocket?

Tip us?

icenight89
Old
Thanks Meter 718

DONATE TO ME
And from both my original post and the one u JUST quoted, I succeeded that, I never claimed snapdragon to be faster. Quite the contrary, I did state exynos to be faster. I challenged u to prove it was significantly so, and u could not. My point was that the difference was negligable.

As for your lack of a rebutle for the rest of my arguments, and i guess u admit defeat? U are of course entitled to your opinion, but the majority votes in my favour my friend.

*#* Google dropbox, its useful.
https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTcwNDE0ODUyOQ *#*

chappatti
Old
(Last edited by chappatti; 24th April 2012 at 04:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 167

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by icenight89 View Post
And from both my original post and the one u JUST quoted, I succeeded that, I never claimed snapdragon to be faster. Quite the contrary, I did state exynos to be faster. I challenged u to prove it was significantly so, and u could not. My point was that the difference was negligable.

As for your lack of a rebutle for the rest of my arguments, and i guess u admit defeat? U are of course entitled to your opinion, but the majority votes in my favour my friend.

Admit defeat? NOOOOO way...

Firstly, let's face it, based on processor and graphics this is not a compelling reason to pay EXTRA for the "same" phones, right? So based on this criteria I should chose the SGS II and save a good amount of money. That we have agreed on..though indirectly. Even for the SGS II, is 480x800 really a resolution to go with ? F%%K, man, those days should have gone long ago.

So you say I should get the phone ONLY for LTE.....?????

Other things:

** Here is tomtommy306 quote from this thread:

"Number one was the feel of the phone is a little cheap to me. It is a fairly sturdy phone, but it doesn't feel like that to me"

When I first got the phone, I was seriously pissed that the back case "door" was a thin piece of plastic that has no locking mechanism. This is like a toy from toys'rus that I would get the kids. I have to use my finger nail to pull it up, and man I get scared it will just rip if I pull too hard. What the f%^&k, I say. I mean, the poor old Captivate is so much better in this regard.

HERE IS Endgadget's opinion: "and we felt right at home with the Skyrocket, with only one major exception: its battery cover is as smooth as a baby's cheek, making it incredibly slippery in our hands. We appreciate the textured back found on the other phones in the series because they add just enough friction to keep the device from getting dropped."

The SGS II has at least the textured cover.........

What are they going to gives us next? Saran Wrap?

I maintain the build is not what I and lot of people expected from a supposedly "advanced" phone

** GPS function on Skyrocket decreases with the Qualcomm set up.....look it up on Google. I am tired of re-searching. I AM NOT SAYING IT SUCKS, it is pretty darn good, but has lost some performance.

** AUDIO chip: This is another sucky thing. OF course, SGS II is just as ****ty we the damn Yamaha chip. Going from Captivate to the Skyrocket they just dropped the ball.heavily, and on my foot. Ask Supercurio, the developer of Voodoo. I mean, the chip is probably not worth his time to develop anything.

HERE is Endgadget again: "As music player, Galaxy S II performance can be described as:

Average for a smartphone.
Below average for a high end smartphone.

Yamaha’s MC-1N2 codec has some nice theoretical specs, but the promised sound fidelity turns into a boring rendering affected by several outstanding issues, relegating Samsung flagship far from the audiophile category. Worse: only some of those issues can be remedied by using additional equipment like an attenuator or an active headphone amplifier."

** Why the heck are we getting screwed like this.....AND for this much more money? JUST FOR LTE ???????? What about the thousands of places where LTE is not enabled??

HERE'S MY FINAL TAKE: WITHOUT LTE, I CAN BE JUST AS HAPPY OR UNHAPPY WITH THE PLAIN SGS II. At least, its graphics will be better, and cost much less !!!!!

This thing is getting me heated up..... I am overall generally pissed that the Skyrocket is NOT soooooo much better than the previous version, - I MEAN IT BARELY SQUEEKS BY - that I should have gone and run to get it. With the new stuff coming from Sammy, THIS PHONE IS ONLY A "STOP-GAP COOK UP" TO SATISFY AT&T'S LTE needs. AT&T were so far behind on LTE, that this was the best Sammy could come up with, and we got stuck with it.

I'll say it again...between SGS II and Skyrocket WITHOUT LTE, THE SKYROCKET BARELY SQUEEKS BY....Do you feel happy about that??

GEEZ !!!

EDIT: This is not a personal rant against any member, just a philosophical argument !

EDIT AGAIN: To answer the OP, NO DO NOT BUY THE SKYROCKET.....WAIT FOR HE NEXT OFFERING FROM SAMMY. It will be more along what we expect from Sammy.

EDIT AGAIN AND AGAIN: AND now I have a headache....!!!!!!!!!!!

icenight89
Old
(Last edited by icenight89; 24th April 2012 at 04:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 718

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappatti View Post
Admit defeat? NOOOOO way...

Firstly, let's face it, based on processor and graphics this is not a compelling reason to pay EXTRA for the "same" phones, right? So based on this criteria I should chose the SGS II and save a good amount of money. That we have agreed on..though indirectly. Even for the SGS II, is 480x800 really a resolution to go with ? F%%K, man, those days should have gone long ago.

So you say I should get the phone ONLY for LTE.....?????

Other things:

** Here is tomtommy306 quote from this thread:

"Number one was the feel of the phone is a little cheap to me. It is a fairly sturdy phone, but it doesn't feel like that to me"

When I first got the phone, I was seriously pissed that the back case "door" was a thin piece of plastic that has no locking mechanism. This is like a toy from toys'rus that I would get the kids. I have to use my finger nail to pull it up, and man I get scared it will just rip if I pull too hard. What the f%^&k, I say. I mean, the poor old Captivate is so much better in this regard.

HERE IS Endgadget's opinion: "and we felt right at home with the Skyrocket, with only one major exception: its battery cover is as smooth as a baby's cheek, making it incredibly slippery in our hands. We appreciate the textured back found on the other phones in the series because they add just enough friction to keep the device from getting dropped."

The SGS II has at least the textured cover.........

What are they going to gives us next? Saran Wrap?

I maintain the build is not what I and lot of people expected from a supposedly "advanced" phone

** GPS function on Skyrocket decreases with the Qualcomm set up.....look it up on Google. I am tired of re-searching. I AM NOT SAYING IT SUCKS, it is pretty darn good, but has lost some performance.

** AUDIO chip: This is another sucky thing. OF course, SGS II is just as ****ty we the damn Yamaha chip. Going from Captivate to the Skyrocket they just dropped the ball.heavily, and on my foot. Ask Supercurio, the developer of Voodoo. I mean, the chip is probably not worth his time to develop anything.

HERE is Endgadget again: "As music player, Galaxy S II performance can be described as:

Average for a smartphone.
Below average for a high end smartphone.

Yamaha’s MC-1N2 codec has some nice theoretical specs, but the promised sound fidelity turns into a boring rendering affected by several outstanding issues, relegating Samsung flagship far from the audiophile category. Worse: only some of those issues can be remedied by using additional equipment like an attenuator or an active headphone amplifier."

** Why the heck are we getting screwed like this.....AND for this much more money? JUST FOR LTE ???????? What about the thousands of places where LTE is not enabled??

HERE'S MY FINAL TAKE: WITHOUT LTE, I CAN BE JUST AS HAPPY OR UNHAPPY WITH THE PLAIN SGS II. At least, its graphics will be better, and cost much less !!!!!

This thing is getting me heated up..... I am overall generally pissed that the Skyrocket is NOT soooooo much better than the previous version, - I MEAN IT BARELY SQUEEKS BY - that I should have gone and run to get it. With the new stuff coming from Sammy, THIS PHONE IS ONLY A "STOP-GAP COOK UP" TO SATISFY AT&T'S LTE needs. AT&T were so far behind on LTE, that this was the best Sammy could come up with, and we got stuck with it.

I'll say it again...between SGS II and Skyrocket WITHOUT LTE, THE SKYROCKET BARELY SQUEEKS BY....Do you feel happy about that??

GEEZ !!!

EDIT: This is not a personal rant against any member, just a philosophical argument !

EDIT AGAIN: To answer the OP, NO DO NOT BUY THE SKYROCKET.....WAIT FOR HE NEXT OFFERING FROM SAMMY. It will be more along what we expect from Sammy.

EDIT AGAIN AND AGAIN: AND now I have a headache....!!!!!!!!!!!
I have the phone in a case, so the smoot back doesn't affect me, but I can see what u mean by it possibly posing an issue.

I still disagree with build quality, when clasped in, the battery cover s solid and almost feels like one piece.

GPS on STOCK skyrocket AND gs2 is crap at best. Not so much a hardware issue as a software one. AGPS path fixe this problem.

I will also agree that the audio on both phones is crap. This is a known issue.

As I again state, your gpu isn't as good as ours, my benchmarks proved it. This will only become more obvious when an official Inc is released for our phone.

Let it be know that on some level, I understand that the skyrocket was released to fill a gap. Exynos LTE still hasn't been released, and the skyrocket has been out for months. But, the open NEVER posted a question about migration from s2 to skyrocket, it was atrix > skyrocket.

My advice, if want LTE and see none of the points of disagreement between myself and chappati an issue, get a skyrocket. If u do, wait for the S3, guaranteed to be bad ass.

The Following User Says Thank You to icenight89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chappatti
Old
Thanks Meter 167

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I have the phone in a case, so the smoot back doesn't affect me, but I can see what u mean by it possibly posing an issue.

I still disagree with build quality, when clasped in, the battery cover s solid and almost feels like one piece.

GPS on STOCK skyrocket AND gs2 is crap at best. Not so much a hardware issue as a software one. AGPS path fixe this problem.

I will also agree that the audio on both phones is crap. This is a known issue.

As I again state, your gpu isn't as good as ours, my benchmarks proved it. This will only become more obvious when an official Inc is released for our phone.

Let it be know that on some level, I understand that the skyrocket was released to fill a gap. Exynos LTE still hasn't been released, and the skyrocket has been out for months. But, the open NEVER posted a question about migration from s2 to skyrocket, it was atrix > skyrocket.

My advice, if want LTE and see none of the points of disagreement between myself and chappati an issue, get a skyrocket. If u do, wait for the S3, guaranteed to be bad ass.

Hey, ice, it was fun man !! Please don't take anything personal.....Big props to you for sticking with the debate. It was very informative for me, and I hope others will take some info from it.

FOR THE RECORD: I HAVE THE SKYROCKET, TOO, in white !!

Happy xda-ing !!
The Following User Says Thank You to chappatti For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

icenight89
Old
Thanks Meter 718

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappatti View Post
Hey, ice, it was fun man !! Please don't take anything personal.....Big props to you for sticking with the debate. It was very informative for me, and I hope others will take some info from it.

FOR THE RECORD: I HAVE THE SKYROCKET, TOO, in white !!

Happy xda-ing !!
Dude, no worries! . I didn't take any of it as a personal attack, and I'm glad u didn't either. Its great to see someone else on these forums capable of having a discussion and sticking to it, focusing on arguments and points of contrast, rather than stooping to an online verbal pissing match.

I knew all along u had a skyrocket, from other posts you've made lol. After being here for awhile, u remember the more prominent members.
nrm5110 Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Dude, no worries! . I didn't take any of it as a personal attack, and I'm glad u didn't either. Its great to see someone else on these forums capable of having a discussion and sticking to it, focusing on arguments and points of contrast, rather than stooping to an online verbal pissing match.

I knew all along u had a skyrocket, from other posts you've made lol. After being here for awhile, u remember the more prominent members.
Hey winning pissing matches is an art bro lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

atomoverride
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Bro, I had the motorola atrix. its crap compared to the skyrocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby_Skunk View Post
I have a Motorola Atrix right now and was looking to buy the Skyrocket. I had the Samsung Captivate and really loved Samsung's Android devices.

Some questions I have about the phone:
-The Galaxy Nexus has a 720p screen, since the Skyrocket only has a WVGA screen, does that mean less icons on the screen?

-We don't have LTE in Seattle yet, but how is the battery life while on HSPA? And how is it on LTE?

-Since the processor that is in the Galaxy S II isn't compatible with LTE, is Qualcomm's dual-core as fast and smooth?

-Is the camera take good pictures, and is the video quality good?

Thanks for those who help!
Current: AT&T Galaxy Note 3 (STOCK - with KitKat & Google Experience) | Apple iPhone 5C (Blue / AT&T)

vincom
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3306

DONATE TO ME
just got my sg2 lte today on for rogers network, got it from costco, price $79.99 +13% tax= $90.39 , i get $100.00 in gift cards which can b used towards buying phone, meaning they give me almost $10 to get the phone.

regarding gps, i get a lock almost instantly (2sec) in my house with wifi and data turned off.
regarding screen, my son has sg2 non lte, side by side there us no diff except mine screen is bigger, he paid over 130 over 6months ago, i get 10 bucks in my pocket

regarding speed, mine is a little faster than my son's sg2 non lte phone

i could of waited for sg3, but would have to wait who knows how long for a canadian carrier to get it and then pay easily between $150-200 + %13 tax to get it . so for me a nobrainer in getting this phone.

we can always wait for a better advanced phone, but with technology, as soon as u buy it its outdated the next day