5,606,650 Members 36,773 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

DHD GPS issue fixed, 100% working

Tip us?

Stoffl_
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Tried to improve GPS reception by applying solder to the gold contacts on the antenna cover but ended up making it much worse - Struggling to get a fix even outside with clear sky.

Never touch a running system. :/

rakesh2002
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoffl_ View Post
Tried to improve GPS reception by applying solder to the gold contacts on the antenna cover but ended up making it much worse - Struggling to get a fix even outside with clear sky.

Never touch a running system. :/
Soldering has never been recommended in the main post. I would request every DHD owner with soldering in their mind to first use standard repair procedure which must work by the way. The alternative is to invest $5 on the antenna casing which could be found in Ebay or other popular E-shopping websites.

Only those with soldering expertise could take the extreme steps because extreme heat can burn the internal circuitry or adversely hamper the very intention of this post.

Stoffl_
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Yeah I've allready ordered a new GPS antenna, it's not that I lack soldering experience, probably just had the soldering station turned up to high and destroyed the thin layer of gold paint.
Tried to fix it yesterday but no luck.

It's rather embarrassing tbh, just the usual process of me trying to improve something which is allready working *just fine* and ending up breaking it in the process.
I never touched the circuitry, I was just messing about with the antenna.

sashank
Old
(Last edited by sashank; 17th April 2012 at 03:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 561
Talking Brilliant!

I just did this on my DHD and I'm getting a 10 satellite fix in my room! That's never happened before. I used to catch satellites only when I stood in my balcony or next to my window, that too after quite a long time. Big thanks to rakesh2002 for this guide. Anyone who's having a GPS problem that doesn't improve no matter what they try on the software side, I advise them to try this out. It's the only sure shot way to fix it. I knew for sure it was a hardware problem on my DHD, because I used to get a crappy 3-6 satellite fix even when driving, but when I lightly pressed and held down on the GPS antenna cover, it immediately jumped to 10 satellites or more and went back to 2-6 satellites once I released the cover. Try this out first with your DHD to check if the hardware is at fault. If you're getting a good satellite fix normally, then no problem. Also, if you're scared of doing this, an alternative is to get a tight fitting silicone/hard case for the phone and putting that on when you want to use GPS (if you don't like using cases for regular use). The case will press down on the GPS antenna cover and give you a good satellite lock. I used to use a silicone case and never had a problem with GPS for more than a year since I got the DHD. I started experiencing problems only after I stopped using the case because it looked like crap.

Point to note - The bottom of the antenna cover has a strange clip. It's just a plastic projection unlike the standard clips on the top and right side. It's quite hard to put back into the phone because you can't just press it in like the other clips. You'll want to be careful with this to avoid breaking it. Mine broke as I was prying open the cover itself and is sort of dangling in its place now. I put it back into place and stuck it with super glue, but I was unable to put the cover back into the phone without breaking it again. So I gave up and just let it be. But it doesn't affect the result at all. I bent my spring contacts upward and even with this clip broken and the GPS antenna cover subsequently not having a tight fit at the bottom, I'm still getting a perfect 8-10 satellite fix in my room.
The Following User Says Thank You to sashank For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rakesh2002
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashank View Post
I just did this on my DHD and I'm getting a 10 satellite fix in my room! That's never happened before. I used to catch satellites only when I stood in my balcony or next to my window, that too after quite a long time. Big thanks to rakesh2002 for this guide. Anyone who's having a GPS problem that doesn't improve no matter what they try on the software side, I advise them to try this out. It's the only sure shot way to fix it. I knew for sure it was a hardware problem on my DHD, because I used to get a crappy 3-6 satellite fix even when driving, but when I lightly pressed and held down on the GPS antenna cover, it immediately jumped to 10 satellites or more and went back to 2-6 satellites once I released the cover. Try this out first with your DHD to check if the hardware is at fault. If you're getting a good satellite fix normally, then no problem. Also, if you're scared of doing this, an alternative is to get a tight fitting silicone/hard case for the phone and putting that on when you want to use GPS (if you don't like using cases for regular use). The case will press down on the GPS antenna cover and give you a good satellite lock. I used to use a silicone case and never had a problem with GPS for more than a year since I got the DHD. I started experiencing problems only after I stopped using the case because it looked like crap.

Point to note - The bottom of the antenna cover has a strange clip. It's just a plastic projection unlike the standard clips on the top and right side. It's quite hard to put back into the phone because you can't just press it in like the other clips. You'll want to be careful with this to avoid breaking it. Mine broke as I was prying open the cover itself and is sort of dangling in its place now. I put it back into place and stuck it with super glue, but I was unable to put the cover back into the phone without breaking it again. So I gave up and just let it be. But it doesn't affect the result at all. I bent my spring contacts upward and even with this clip broken and the GPS antenna cover subsequently not having a tight fit at the bottom, I'm still getting a perfect 8-10 satellite fix in my room.
Thanks Sashank.

stutunaru
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Awesome!!!! it worked beautifully for me....thank you very much Rakesh2002

limct
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The mod doesn't work for me . It only work if the wire is hanging outside the case. Once the cover is closed, they is no signal .

Got a new antenna cover from ebay for $5 and it solve all my problem . For those who don't want to mess around with soldering . I will advise you change the cover instead . It save all the trouble on soldering and might even damage your phone .

jfphillips
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
I'm sorry but I can't believe this is a hardware issue. In my view, the GPS problem is a software issue.

Let me tell you about my HTC Desire HD. Google navigation worked fine on the stock ROM. I then decided to root it and to put CyanogenMod 7.xxx onto it. That's when my gps problems started. I would get a lock on very quickly but then it would hunt for satellites after about a minute.
I tried all sorts of solutions, none of which worked. I then put the stock ROM back on and the GPS worked flawlessly.
After a while I thought I'd try an experiment with an ICS ROM. I tried MIUI, Virtuous and PrimoS and the same GPS problem came back with all of them.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

rakesh2002
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfphillips View Post
I'm sorry but I can't believe this is a hardware issue. In my view, the GPS problem is a software issue.

Let me tell you about my HTC Desire HD. Google navigation worked fine on the stock ROM. I then decided to root it and to put CyanogenMod 7.xxx onto it. That's when my gps problems started. I would get a lock on very quickly but then it would hunt for satellites after about a minute.
I tried all sorts of solutions, none of which worked. I then put the stock ROM back on and the GPS worked flawlessly.
After a while I thought I'd try an experiment with an ICS ROM. I tried MIUI, Virtuous and PrimoS and the same GPS problem came back with all of them.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium
Google navigation worked fine for me too because they use my Wifi/radio network to locate me. Even a Standalone GPS nav system takes minutes to connect sometimes. may be different kernels have different SNR thresholds to lock coordinates, stock rom could have higher threshold since HTC needs to ensure that the coordinates have smaller error margin for its customers.

High threshold requires larger antennas since length of the antenna is directly proportional to the wavelength of the signal. In the case of our phones, all we could do is ensure that the antenna and contacts are firm so as to allow more current to flow/to improve the impedance matching.

The GPS code is very simple and the possibilities of it to be bugged is extremely small. Ironically the custom roms offer more flexibility in terms of being able to change individual parameters for GPS. Kindly correct me or educate me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Marcusw882000
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I tried the hardware fix and it worked perfectly for me. I am getting 7 satellites from inside my apartment.