FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

DHD GPS issue fixed, 100% working

43 posts
Thanks Meter: 70
 
By rakesh2002, Member on 29th May 2011, 02:32 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
16th April 2012, 10:03 AM |#311  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Tried to improve GPS reception by applying solder to the gold contacts on the antenna cover but ended up making it much worse - Struggling to get a fix even outside with clear sky.

Never touch a running system. :/
 
 
16th April 2012, 10:05 PM |#312  
OP Member
Flag first wife:Bangalore, India... second: California
Thanks Meter: 70
 
Donate to Me
More
Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoffl_

Tried to improve GPS reception by applying solder to the gold contacts on the antenna cover but ended up making it much worse - Struggling to get a fix even outside with clear sky.

Never touch a running system. :/

Soldering has never been recommended in the main post. I would request every DHD owner with soldering in their mind to first use standard repair procedure which must work by the way. The alternative is to invest $5 on the antenna casing which could be found in Ebay or other popular E-shopping websites.

Only those with soldering expertise could take the extreme steps because extreme heat can burn the internal circuitry or adversely hamper the very intention of this post.
17th April 2012, 08:47 AM |#313  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Yeah I've allready ordered a new GPS antenna, it's not that I lack soldering experience, probably just had the soldering station turned up to high and destroyed the thin layer of gold paint.
Tried to fix it yesterday but no luck.

It's rather embarrassing tbh, just the usual process of me trying to improve something which is allready working *just fine* and ending up breaking it in the process.
I never touched the circuitry, I was just messing about with the antenna.
17th April 2012, 02:27 PM |#314  
sashank's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 566
 
More
Talking Brilliant!
I just did this on my DHD and I'm getting a 10 satellite fix in my room! That's never happened before. I used to catch satellites only when I stood in my balcony or next to my window, that too after quite a long time. Big thanks to rakesh2002 for this guide. Anyone who's having a GPS problem that doesn't improve no matter what they try on the software side, I advise them to try this out. It's the only sure shot way to fix it. I knew for sure it was a hardware problem on my DHD, because I used to get a crappy 3-6 satellite fix even when driving, but when I lightly pressed and held down on the GPS antenna cover, it immediately jumped to 10 satellites or more and went back to 2-6 satellites once I released the cover. Try this out first with your DHD to check if the hardware is at fault. If you're getting a good satellite fix normally, then no problem. Also, if you're scared of doing this, an alternative is to get a tight fitting silicone/hard case for the phone and putting that on when you want to use GPS (if you don't like using cases for regular use). The case will press down on the GPS antenna cover and give you a good satellite lock. I used to use a silicone case and never had a problem with GPS for more than a year since I got the DHD. I started experiencing problems only after I stopped using the case because it looked like crap.

Point to note - The bottom of the antenna cover has a strange clip. It's just a plastic projection unlike the standard clips on the top and right side. It's quite hard to put back into the phone because you can't just press it in like the other clips. You'll want to be careful with this to avoid breaking it. Mine broke as I was prying open the cover itself and is sort of dangling in its place now. I put it back into place and stuck it with super glue, but I was unable to put the cover back into the phone without breaking it again. So I gave up and just let it be. But it doesn't affect the result at all. I bent my spring contacts upward and even with this clip broken and the GPS antenna cover subsequently not having a tight fit at the bottom, I'm still getting a perfect 8-10 satellite fix in my room.
Last edited by sashank; 17th April 2012 at 03:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sashank For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2012, 12:15 AM |#315  
OP Member
Flag first wife:Bangalore, India... second: California
Thanks Meter: 70
 
Donate to Me
More
Red face
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashank

I just did this on my DHD and I'm getting a 10 satellite fix in my room! That's never happened before. I used to catch satellites only when I stood in my balcony or next to my window, that too after quite a long time. Big thanks to rakesh2002 for this guide. Anyone who's having a GPS problem that doesn't improve no matter what they try on the software side, I advise them to try this out. It's the only sure shot way to fix it. I knew for sure it was a hardware problem on my DHD, because I used to get a crappy 3-6 satellite fix even when driving, but when I lightly pressed and held down on the GPS antenna cover, it immediately jumped to 10 satellites or more and went back to 2-6 satellites once I released the cover. Try this out first with your DHD to check if the hardware is at fault. If you're getting a good satellite fix normally, then no problem. Also, if you're scared of doing this, an alternative is to get a tight fitting silicone/hard case for the phone and putting that on when you want to use GPS (if you don't like using cases for regular use). The case will press down on the GPS antenna cover and give you a good satellite lock. I used to use a silicone case and never had a problem with GPS for more than a year since I got the DHD. I started experiencing problems only after I stopped using the case because it looked like crap.

Point to note - The bottom of the antenna cover has a strange clip. It's just a plastic projection unlike the standard clips on the top and right side. It's quite hard to put back into the phone because you can't just press it in like the other clips. You'll want to be careful with this to avoid breaking it. Mine broke as I was prying open the cover itself and is sort of dangling in its place now. I put it back into place and stuck it with super glue, but I was unable to put the cover back into the phone without breaking it again. So I gave up and just let it be. But it doesn't affect the result at all. I bent my spring contacts upward and even with this clip broken and the GPS antenna cover subsequently not having a tight fit at the bottom, I'm still getting a perfect 8-10 satellite fix in my room.

Thanks Sashank.
20th April 2012, 01:19 AM |#316  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Awesome!!!! it worked beautifully for me....thank you very much Rakesh2002
21st April 2012, 05:27 AM |#317  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
The mod doesn't work for me . It only work if the wire is hanging outside the case. Once the cover is closed, they is no signal .

Got a new antenna cover from ebay for $5 and it solve all my problem . For those who don't want to mess around with soldering . I will advise you change the cover instead . It save all the trouble on soldering and might even damage your phone .
25th April 2012, 07:32 AM |#318  
Junior Member
Flag Eastbourne
Thanks Meter: 0
 
Donate to Me
More
I'm sorry but I can't believe this is a hardware issue. In my view, the GPS problem is a software issue.

Let me tell you about my HTC Desire HD. Google navigation worked fine on the stock ROM. I then decided to root it and to put CyanogenMod 7.xxx onto it. That's when my gps problems started. I would get a lock on very quickly but then it would hunt for satellites after about a minute.
I tried all sorts of solutions, none of which worked. I then put the stock ROM back on and the GPS worked flawlessly.
After a while I thought I'd try an experiment with an ICS ROM. I tried MIUI, Virtuous and PrimoS and the same GPS problem came back with all of them.


Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium
26th April 2012, 01:51 AM |#319  
OP Member
Flag first wife:Bangalore, India... second: California
Thanks Meter: 70
 
Donate to Me
More
Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfphillips

I'm sorry but I can't believe this is a hardware issue. In my view, the GPS problem is a software issue.

Let me tell you about my HTC Desire HD. Google navigation worked fine on the stock ROM. I then decided to root it and to put CyanogenMod 7.xxx onto it. That's when my gps problems started. I would get a lock on very quickly but then it would hunt for satellites after about a minute.
I tried all sorts of solutions, none of which worked. I then put the stock ROM back on and the GPS worked flawlessly.
After a while I thought I'd try an experiment with an ICS ROM. I tried MIUI, Virtuous and PrimoS and the same GPS problem came back with all of them.


Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

Google navigation worked fine for me too because they use my Wifi/radio network to locate me. Even a Standalone GPS nav system takes minutes to connect sometimes. may be different kernels have different SNR thresholds to lock coordinates, stock rom could have higher threshold since HTC needs to ensure that the coordinates have smaller error margin for its customers.

High threshold requires larger antennas since length of the antenna is directly proportional to the wavelength of the signal. In the case of our phones, all we could do is ensure that the antenna and contacts are firm so as to allow more current to flow/to improve the impedance matching.

The GPS code is very simple and the possibilities of it to be bugged is extremely small. Ironically the custom roms offer more flexibility in terms of being able to change individual parameters for GPS. Kindly correct me or educate me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
27th April 2012, 07:26 AM |#320  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
I tried the hardware fix and it worked perfectly for me. I am getting 7 satellites from inside my apartment.
30th April 2012, 07:26 AM |#321  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Combining all replies I decided to put some solder on the two contacts of the cover (not on the HD board: the cover can be replaced easily and cheap). Just for a better contact. I did not attach an antenna wire.
A bad contact might be the only reason for GPS reception problems. Soldering an antenna wire solves this, but only because of the solder, not because of the wire?
The solder is much softer, which makes the contact area larger, and the distance between the springs on the mobo and the contacts on the cover is reduced with about 1 mm.

I applied this mod in november 2011. Now, more than four months later: still a perfect GPS reception!

There might be other causes for a bad GPS reception than a bad contact. My case: before the mod: not one satellite, sometimes just one. After the mod: 7 to 9 satellites.

For absolute newbies on soldering: Be careful.
Following this thread I read about people having melted the plastic below the contacts of the GPS cover.
- Use a soldering iron of 15 Watt, not (much) more. This will give enough heat, and reduces the chance of overheating (and melting the plastic)
- Make sure the iron is hot enough. The solder should melt immediately when tipped at the soldering iron tip.
- Putting a blob on the GPS cover contacts should take (far) less than 1 second. Once you see a nice shiny melted little blob, immediately remove the soldering iron.
- Practice on something else first! You will be amazed how fast the solder will melt.
- In case of melting: order a replacement, and temporarily cover the GPS cover area with some tape.
Last edited by waits; 30th April 2012 at 07:37 AM.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes