Free Windows upgrades?

Tip us?

DarkSeL
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Free Windows upgrades?

Hello everyone.

I've always wondered why tablets/phones get free software upgrades (Android 3 to 4), while Computer OS's do not. (Windows Vista to 7).

Considering Windows 8 will be both a tablet and a desktop OS, will updates to windows 9 (or whatever they decide to call it) be free, for tablets at least?

It does not sound possible, but if Microsoft phones got free upgrades, why not their tablets?

Please share your thoughts on this.
Current Devices:
HTC Radar 4G ^ Windows Phone HD2O (RTM Edition) ^
Acer Iconia Tab A500 ^ ICS 4.0.3 ^
iPod Touch 4G ^ iOS 6.0 ^

chrisrotolo
Old
Thanks Meter 452

DONATE TO ME
Micro$haft?

I dont think so.

do you know how much money Bill Gates has? Yes, not enough!

It would be nice if we got a "Mac" type deal $29 upgrade , etc.

DarkSeL
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
I thought Bill Gates retired.. Oh well..
And I wouldn't set Apple as a model for pricing.
Current Devices:

gururoop
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSeL View Post
I thought Bill Gates retired.. Oh well..
And I wouldn't set Apple as a model for pricing.
I second that brother... And I think some people have not even the slightest idea about the philanthropy Bill Gates is involved in... Plus, if PC OSes are upgraded freely then we would be at mercy of hardware providers to determine whether our hardware deserves an OS upgrade or not (as it is in the case of all smartphones today)...

DarkSeL
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gururoop View Post
I second that brother... And I think some people have not even the slightest idea about the philanthropy Bill Gates is involved in... Plus, if PC OSes are upgraded freely then we would be at mercy of hardware providers to determine whether our hardware deserves an OS upgrade or not (as it is in the case of all smartphones today)...
The question remains.. Will W8 tablets be treated like computers or phones.
Current Devices:

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 434

DONATE TO ME
android is a bad example given that the money is made through advertising and selling your info.

a more reliable comparison is Apple and iOS. WP7 and the iPhone are limited use devices,

OSx and Windows on there respective hardware are computers with a significant use attached to them, the same can be said for Windows Tablets, however they are different from Apples ipad offerings which is just a bumped up iphone OS, the tablet is (at least we believe. x86 - yes, ARM - ?) its a fully functional computer

So to your question, a Windows Tablet, is a computer (probably), and thus will likely follow computer upgrade cycles. and ipad is an extension of its iphone and would follow the phone update model.

As to how much it should cost, well that's up to MS, but before folk start raving about Apples "cheap" updates, its worth pointing out that developing an OS with a fixed hardware design will be much easier (cheaper) to do than for an almost infinite number of hardware designs

Lets be clear on something, NOTHING is done without there being money to be made in one form or another, Googles model is not as transparent as Microsofts but it still makes a mint, and whilst it doesn't do that by charging you directly it does use you as its Bitch

epso-sage
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Its a nice though but not going to happen.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3
Rom: LiquidSmooth 2.10
Kernel: Googy-Max kernel 1.7.6
Recovery: CWM 6.0.4.3

Donny1987
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrotolo View Post
Micro$haft?

I dont think so.

do you know how much money Bill Gates has? Yes, not enough!

It would be nice if we got a "Mac" type deal $29 upgrade , etc.
The difference between Microsoft and Apple is that Apple already ripped you off with their expensive hardware so they can afford it to upgrade the OS for 29$.

Microsoft needs to get their profits from software only, that's why it's a bit more expensive than OSX upgrades.
Current Devices
Nokia Lumia 920 Black + Nokia Wireless Charging Pillow by Fatboy® Red + Nokia Wireless Charging Plate Red
Microsoft Surface RT 64GB + Touch Cover Cyan

Previous Devices
[HTC] Sensation XE [HTC] Desire HD [HTC] Touch Pro [MIO] A700 [NOKIA] 7210 [ERICSSON] GF768
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donny1987 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 434

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSeL View Post
Hello everyone.

I've always wondered why tablets/phones get free software upgrades (Android 3 to 4), while Computer OS's do not. (Windows Vista to 7).

Considering Windows 8 will be both a tablet and a desktop OS, will updates to windows 9 (or whatever they decide to call it) be free, for tablets at least?

It does not sound possible, but if Microsoft phones got free upgrades, why not their tablets?

Please share your thoughts on this.
no they wont be, in the same way that OSx updates are chargable

you need to remember that everyone needs to make money, even the beloved Android "free" OS, android makers and OEMs make their money by selling your soul to anyone who has the money to pay for it, MS makes money by charging you directly, both are valid business models but one is more "open" than the other, the irony is that the "open" OS is actually the least open when it comes to the business modelm both have good points both have bad points.

The Windows phone portion will remain "free" to a point, but tablets and desktop versions are very much computer OSs, not a phone OS unlike its android and iOS cousins

edit, Boom! 1700 posts

mooving
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny1987 View Post
The difference between Microsoft and Apple is that Apple already ripped you off with their expensive hardware so they can afford it to upgrade the OS for 29$.

Microsoft needs to get their profits from software only, that's why it's a bit more expensive than OSX upgrades.
Everyone looks at Mirosoft thinks that they are cheating big arse sum of marney from you guys.
Microsoft just ended their support for XP like few months ago, which was release about 10years ago.
For just $29, Apple only provide 11 updates on that whatever cat OS and then just kiss your old cat goodbye on support on your whatever latest iPhones or Pads.
So Apple OS = cheap????

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk 2