OP DarkSeL

16th April 2012, 11:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Arizona
Thanks Meter: 9

104 posts
More
Hello everyone.

I've always wondered why tablets/phones get free software upgrades (Android 3 to 4), while Computer OS's do not. (Windows Vista to 7).

Considering Windows 8 will be both a tablet and a desktop OS, will updates to windows 9 (or whatever they decide to call it) be free, for tablets at least?

It does not sound possible, but if Microsoft phones got free upgrades, why not their tablets?

Please share your thoughts on this.
16th April 2012, 11:43 PM   |  #2  
Flag Hartford, Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 453

1,853 posts
Donate to Me
More
Micro$haft?

I dont think so.

do you know how much money Bill Gates has? Yes, not enough!

It would be nice if we got a "Mac" type deal $29 upgrade , etc.
17th April 2012, 12:16 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Arizona

104 posts
More
I thought Bill Gates retired.. Oh well..
And I wouldn't set Apple as a model for pricing.
17th April 2012, 02:35 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 130

304 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSeL

I thought Bill Gates retired.. Oh well..
And I wouldn't set Apple as a model for pricing.

I second that brother... And I think some people have not even the slightest idea about the philanthropy Bill Gates is involved in... Plus, if PC OSes are upgraded freely then we would be at mercy of hardware providers to determine whether our hardware deserves an OS upgrade or not (as it is in the case of all smartphones today)...
17th April 2012, 07:18 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Arizona

104 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gururoop

I second that brother... And I think some people have not even the slightest idea about the philanthropy Bill Gates is involved in... Plus, if PC OSes are upgraded freely then we would be at mercy of hardware providers to determine whether our hardware deserves an OS upgrade or not (as it is in the case of all smartphones today)...

The question remains.. Will W8 tablets be treated like computers or phones.
17th April 2012, 07:50 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 446

2,786 posts
Donate to Me
More
android is a bad example given that the money is made through advertising and selling your info.

a more reliable comparison is Apple and iOS. WP7 and the iPhone are limited use devices,

OSx and Windows on there respective hardware are computers with a significant use attached to them, the same can be said for Windows Tablets, however they are different from Apples ipad offerings which is just a bumped up iphone OS, the tablet is (at least we believe. x86 - yes, ARM - ?) its a fully functional computer

So to your question, a Windows Tablet, is a computer (probably), and thus will likely follow computer upgrade cycles. and ipad is an extension of its iphone and would follow the phone update model.

As to how much it should cost, well that's up to MS, but before folk start raving about Apples "cheap" updates, its worth pointing out that developing an OS with a fixed hardware design will be much easier (cheaper) to do than for an almost infinite number of hardware designs

Lets be clear on something, NOTHING is done without there being money to be made in one form or another, Googles model is not as transparent as Microsofts but it still makes a mint, and whilst it doesn't do that by charging you directly it does use you as its Bitch
23rd April 2012, 08:37 AM   |  #7  
Flag Folsom, CA
Thanks Meter: 8

97 posts
More
Its a nice though but not going to happen.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA
26th April 2012, 06:12 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 30

215 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrotolo

Micro$haft?

I dont think so.

do you know how much money Bill Gates has? Yes, not enough!

It would be nice if we got a "Mac" type deal $29 upgrade , etc.

The difference between Microsoft and Apple is that Apple already ripped you off with their expensive hardware so they can afford it to upgrade the OS for 29$.

Microsoft needs to get their profits from software only, that's why it's a bit more expensive than OSX upgrades.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donny1987 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2012, 08:38 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 446

2,786 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSeL

Hello everyone.

I've always wondered why tablets/phones get free software upgrades (Android 3 to 4), while Computer OS's do not. (Windows Vista to 7).

Considering Windows 8 will be both a tablet and a desktop OS, will updates to windows 9 (or whatever they decide to call it) be free, for tablets at least?

It does not sound possible, but if Microsoft phones got free upgrades, why not their tablets?

Please share your thoughts on this.

no they wont be, in the same way that OSx updates are chargable

you need to remember that everyone needs to make money, even the beloved Android "free" OS, android makers and OEMs make their money by selling your soul to anyone who has the money to pay for it, MS makes money by charging you directly, both are valid business models but one is more "open" than the other, the irony is that the "open" OS is actually the least open when it comes to the business modelm both have good points both have bad points.

The Windows phone portion will remain "free" to a point, but tablets and desktop versions are very much computer OSs, not a phone OS unlike its android and iOS cousins

edit, Boom! 1700 posts
29th April 2012, 09:04 AM   |  #10  
Flag kuala lumpur
Thanks Meter: 3

19 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny1987

The difference between Microsoft and Apple is that Apple already ripped you off with their expensive hardware so they can afford it to upgrade the OS for 29$.

Microsoft needs to get their profits from software only, that's why it's a bit more expensive than OSX upgrades.

Everyone looks at Mirosoft thinks that they are cheating big arse sum of marney from you guys.
Microsoft just ended their support for XP like few months ago, which was release about 10years ago.
For just $29, Apple only provide 11 updates on that whatever cat OS and then just kiss your old cat goodbye on support on your whatever latest iPhones or Pads.
So Apple OS = cheap????

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread