Ask a question

No registration required

Remove webtop?

OP jbuggydroid

15th October 2011, 12:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 53

478 posts
Hey guys I was just wondering if there was a way to completely our even partially remove webtop. I never use it nor care for it and wouldn't mind more room and hopefully more free memory.

Sent from my MOPHO using XDA App
15th October 2011, 06:25 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars
Thanks Meter: 3,284

2,894 posts
Donate to Me
More
Would you use it if it was more like UbunTop without having to unlock/root the phone?
15th October 2011, 06:32 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 32

256 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz

Would you use it if it was more like UbunTop without having to unlock/root the phone?

If no rooting/unlocking required then ubuntop will be a big plus.
17th October 2011, 02:59 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 53

478 posts
No not really I don't think. Never saw ubuntop in action tho

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App
17th October 2011, 06:05 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 176

376 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuggydroid

Hey guys I was just wondering if there was a way to completely our even partially remove webtop. I never use it nor care for it and wouldn't mind more room and hopefully more free memory.

Sent from my MOPHO using XDA App

Yeah, I'd be interested in this as well. Repartition the internal storage. I don't need or use webtop and I'd much rather have that space for apps.

This will probably require the unlocked bootloader, but even with that, directions haven't been posted on how to do this.
17th October 2011, 06:08 PM   |  #6  
Flag Clinton, TN
Thanks Meter: 146

3,343 posts
More
I worked a bit on adapting the FireRat partition mods, but haven't really had time to finish it up.

EDIT:
I should say that the reason it won't work at the moment is because I think we need some bootimg work- which isn't my best area, I really don't have a best area... anyways-
From what I can gather, we need to figure out how to do this:
Quote:

You can boot a kernel with a modified partition table using one of two methods;
the "-c" parameter to fastboot allows you to add kernel parameters. This is good for booting RECOVERY images and applying custom layouts.

The second method is to build the custom layout into your boot.img or recovery.img.
This can be done using the "--cmdline" parameter to mkbootimg.

And since I don't have a x64 box, I can't build ------------------------------yup thats about it...maybe I can get mrinhart or shabby to help, but I really don't have a lot of time right now between my sons football practices/games, daughters Cheer and Dance, and work.
Last edited by Kcarpenter; 17th October 2011 at 06:31 PM.
26th April 2012, 08:11 PM   |  #8  
Saint Chuck
Thanks Meter: 170

818 posts
Donate to Me
Go go gadget thread necromancer!

Sent from my mopho
27th April 2012, 03:56 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars
Thanks Meter: 3,284

2,894 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21031980

Any Luck on this?

First. ZOMBIES!!! (haven't slept in going on 38hrs so bear with me)

The repartition is more headache than it's worth. The chance of bricking and I mean replace phone level of bricking, is very high. The only thing else I can figure is to format the osh partition and make it readable as storage for CWM/TWRP backups or fastboot accessible in case of recovery failure. This won't recover the space used but would at least repurpose it.

I'm still in the process of working on a number of personal projects as well as trying to get some issues with the next ROM and Webtop release fixed so everything is in a "No ETA's" status.

Oh and I need to update the All Things MoPho thread on multiple sites.
27th April 2012, 10:20 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 339

1,515 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz

First. ZOMBIES!!! (haven't slept in going on 38hrs so bear with me)

The repartition is more headache than it's worth. The chance of bricking and I mean replace phone level of bricking, is very high. The only thing else I can figure is to format the osh partition and make it readable as storage for CWM/TWRP backups or fastboot accessible in case of recovery failure. This won't recover the space used but would at least repurpose it.

I'm still in the process of working on a number of personal projects as well as trying to get some issues with the next ROM and Webtop release fixed so everything is in a "No ETA's" status.

Oh and I need to update the All Things MoPho thread on multiple sites.

Is there a way to have a full desktop Linux emulated environment in its place? Like some type of emulator to emulate any desktop Linux distro with a higher resolution than webtop

Sent from my I9300 using XDA

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread