XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Remove webtop?

Tip us?

jbuggydroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Default Remove webtop?

Hey guys I was just wondering if there was a way to completely our even partially remove webtop. I never use it nor care for it and wouldn't mind more room and hopefully more free memory.

Sent from my MOPHO using XDA App

Lokifish Marz
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3089

DONATE TO ME
Would you use it if it was more like UbunTop without having to unlock/root the phone?

rohit3192
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz View Post
Would you use it if it was more like UbunTop without having to unlock/root the phone?
If no rooting/unlocking required then ubuntop will be a big plus.

jbuggydroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
No not really I don't think. Never saw ubuntop in action tho

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App

MultiDev
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuggydroid View Post
Hey guys I was just wondering if there was a way to completely our even partially remove webtop. I never use it nor care for it and wouldn't mind more room and hopefully more free memory.

Sent from my MOPHO using XDA App
Yeah, I'd be interested in this as well. Repartition the internal storage. I don't need or use webtop and I'd much rather have that space for apps.

This will probably require the unlocked bootloader, but even with that, directions haven't been posted on how to do this.

Kcarpenter
Old
(Last edited by Kcarpenter; 17th October 2011 at 05:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 146
I worked a bit on adapting the FireRat partition mods, but haven't really had time to finish it up.

EDIT:
I should say that the reason it won't work at the moment is because I think we need some bootimg work- which isn't my best area, I really don't have a best area... anyways-
From what I can gather, we need to figure out how to do this:
Quote:
You can boot a kernel with a modified partition table using one of two methods;
the "-c" parameter to fastboot allows you to add kernel parameters. This is good for booting RECOVERY images and applying custom layouts.

The second method is to build the custom layout into your boot.img or recovery.img.
This can be done using the "--cmdline" parameter to mkbootimg.
And since I don't have a x64 box, I can't build ------------------------------yup thats about it...maybe I can get mrinhart or shabby to help, but I really don't have a lot of time right now between my sons football practices/games, daughters Cheer and Dance, and work.
-----------------
-HTC EVO LTE - Stock ATM
Google+: Karl Carpenter
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/kcarpenter5407
Twitter: @KCarpenter528

Old
Thanks Meter 18
Any Luck on this?
Thank you XDA members.
The Following User Says Thank You to 21031980 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cornelious2
Old
Thanks Meter 158

DONATE TO ME
Go go gadget thread necromancer!

Sent from my mopho

Lokifish Marz
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3089

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21031980 View Post
Any Luck on this?
First. ZOMBIES!!! (haven't slept in going on 38hrs so bear with me)

The repartition is more headache than it's worth. The chance of bricking and I mean replace phone level of bricking, is very high. The only thing else I can figure is to format the osh partition and make it readable as storage for CWM/TWRP backups or fastboot accessible in case of recovery failure. This won't recover the space used but would at least repurpose it.

I'm still in the process of working on a number of personal projects as well as trying to get some issues with the next ROM and Webtop release fixed so everything is in a "No ETA's" status.

Oh and I need to update the All Things MoPho thread on multiple sites.

hellot1M
Old
Thanks Meter 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz View Post
First. ZOMBIES!!! (haven't slept in going on 38hrs so bear with me)

The repartition is more headache than it's worth. The chance of bricking and I mean replace phone level of bricking, is very high. The only thing else I can figure is to format the osh partition and make it readable as storage for CWM/TWRP backups or fastboot accessible in case of recovery failure. This won't recover the space used but would at least repurpose it.

I'm still in the process of working on a number of personal projects as well as trying to get some issues with the next ROM and Webtop release fixed so everything is in a "No ETA's" status.

Oh and I need to update the All Things MoPho thread on multiple sites.
Is there a way to have a full desktop Linux emulated environment in its place? Like some type of emulator to emulate any desktop Linux distro with a higher resolution than webtop

Sent from my I9300 using XDA