Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,052 Members 40,041 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] TF101 _STILL_ rebooting after downgrading to honeycomb!

Tip us?

harshbedi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Did you wipe the cache and dalvik cache before installing new ROM (No need of using superWipe script..It didn't work for me) I was having the same issue of random clicking/reboots.. I did the factory reset,wiped the cache and wiped the dalvik cache and pheww my transformer was back. After that I flashed the Revolution 3.2.0 ICS Rom and it is working perfectly fine. May be you can try these steps and let us know if it works for you

fear_factory84
Old
(Last edited by fear_factory84; 12th April 2012 at 01:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 68
My experience..
I have a tf101 + dock (ww version b60), I was on revolver 3.11.1 with 8.6.6.17 bootloader or something similar (the one that comes with revolver 3g enabler pack, maybe someone can confirm which particular version is) and my tf was running 100% stable over months, with and without dock.
I did a full nandroid backup from cwm (roach 3.2.0.1).

Then I tried some ics roms, like paul's one, and then 9.2.11 ww version. It ran without reboots but for example google maps crashed every time (gl error, segmentation fault).
So after 9.2.1.17 was out I upgraded it using the cwm flashable ww zip (incremental).
I still don't know which bootloader I have since my tf is at home.. I'll update my post, but it will be surely 9.2.1.11 or 9.2.1.17..

Reboots for me appeared mostly using dock but also without (more rare).
So I decided to restore my revolver 3.11.1 backup. Since I know that cwm doesn't backup kernel, I flashed from cwm first revolver 3.11 (full) and then 3.11.1. Then I restored my 3.11.1 backup.

Yesterday I leaved my tf charging with dock, when I came back home I found it bootlooping on asus screen (first asus message), tablet's battery was 4%, and dock battery full.

So reboot happen also for me on honeycomb.

Now I can try several things, but I need some advice:
- flash a full stock 8.6.5.21 ww rom with bootloader, then flash with nvflash cwm recovery, and then reflash revolver 3.11, then 3.11.1 update then restore my 3.11.1 nandroid
- flash a full 9.2.1.17 stock ww rom with 9.2.1.17 bootloader wiping all
- throw my tf away

Regards

update: my bootloader now is 9.2.1.17. today my tf was in sleeping mode, under revolver 3.11.1 in airplane mode. no reboots 3% battery drain for all day. So definitely this is an issue that involves also wifi/gps/bluetooth chip..

update2: I did a full wipe, nvflashed 8.6.5.13 ww, upgraded via official methods to 8.6.5.21, rebooted, upgraded to 9.2.1.17. Now it's running on that, unrooted and fully stock, I reinstalled my apps from market without restoring anything.
Now I want to see how it works, then I'll probably root it if it works without reboots.
Samsung Galaxy SII i9100 AOSP NeatRom 2.6 radio XXLS8
Asus Transformer T100 Win 8.1
Samsung Galaxy Nexus slimkat build 7 + fancy kernel r53 + XXLJ1 radio
Sony Ericsson X8 - unlocked with omnius stock 2.1 rom - dead
Past: Samsung Nexus S, Asus TF101, Acer Liquid S1

xd.bx
Old
Thanks Meter 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Ok, now this is crazy.... I thought that I was going nuts when after a complete wipe (using SuperWipe script) and re-installation of Honeycomb from scratch, I too still had the reboots!!!

How can that be? The reboots were NOT there before I installed ICS!

Is it possible that Asus updated the firmware in a specific integerated device during the ICS update that is casuing these issues or something? I don't know how else to explain people having the same issues even after reverting back to Honeycomb!

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I think the first ICS updated caused overheating issues that led to irreversible damage. I don't think ASUS will ever come with an honest answer though. "Persistent Perfection" => a bit overreaching, maybe
Away for a short while

jtrosky
Old
Thanks Meter 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd.bx View Post
I think the first ICS updated caused overheating issues that led to irreversible damage. I don't think ASUS will ever come with an honest answer though. "Persistent Perfection" => a bit overreaching, maybe
No, I eventually got back to a stable version of Honeycomb - the key was to use NVFlash to flash a stock HOneycomb image first, then root it, install CWM and install Honeycomb version of Revolver. Back to stable again....

So, it's not irreversible damage to any hardware...
Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

fear_factory84
Old
Thanks Meter 68
After some days running stock 9.2.1.17 non-rooted, I had no reboots until I used my dock.

Now I'm trying to use guevor's test 15 kernel...
Samsung Galaxy SII i9100 AOSP NeatRom 2.6 radio XXLS8
Asus Transformer T100 Win 8.1
Samsung Galaxy Nexus slimkat build 7 + fancy kernel r53 + XXLJ1 radio
Sony Ericsson X8 - unlocked with omnius stock 2.1 rom - dead
Past: Samsung Nexus S, Asus TF101, Acer Liquid S1

warlord234
Old
(Last edited by warlord234; 21st April 2012 at 01:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
I cannot use NVflash due to my B80 TF.

It seem that NVflash can fix the SOD by replacing something.
So I just downgrade my TF to the first HC 3.0.1 stock via CWM which I notice that it even replace the bootloader to the very old one and maybe it replace other problem things.
Then I update it back via OTA to latest ICS 4.0.3. stock with fully charge all time to prevent any bad flash as some people claim it would cause issues.

Let's pray this would fix the SOD!!

EDIT: Still get RR and hang on boot :(

jtrosky
Old
(Last edited by jtrosky; 27th April 2012 at 11:00 AM.)
Thanks Meter 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord234 View Post
I cannot use NVflash due to my B80 TF.

It seem that NVflash can fix the SOD by replacing something.
So I just downgrade my TF to the first HC 3.0.1 stock via CWM which I notice that it even replace the bootloader to the very old one and maybe it replace other problem things.
Then I update it back via OTA to latest ICS 4.0.3. stock with fully charge all time to prevent any bad flash as some people claim it would cause issues.

Let's pray this would fix the SOD!!

EDIT: Still get RR and hang on boot :(
Yep - even if you would have stayed on Honeycomb, the reboots would still continue. Like I said, the only way I have found to revert to Honeycomb and also stop the reboots, etc is via NVFlash (which obviously, you can't use). This leads me to believe that the problem has something to do with one of the partitions that doesn't get re-written with CWM... For example, maybe ICS rewrites the swap partition and it's doing it incorrectly so that after you swap so much, boom, the problem happens. I completely made that example up - I have no idea if there even is a swap partition or if ICS would even uses it anyway, but you get the point...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

EricBuist
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Question Starting to loose hope

Hi,

The more I read on forums, the more discouraged I am about this issue. It seems solving this will require a substantial amount of time for me. I can't even get passed the first step consisting of rooting the bulky device. I am just hitting broken links and non-working procedures. Asus is of no help, advising me to call technical support over the phone for more assistance.

My goal is to either get a stable ICS device, or revert this to a stable HC device to be sold back on eBay. I don't want a table stuck to an old version of Android; I will buy an iPad if that is the Android way, sorry, but I cannot sell a faulty device crashing and rebooting randomly. Rooting is not a requirement, since I already have Linux computers on which I can hack as much as I want without being blocked by Android limitations.

Is anyone aware of some people or place in Montreal that could be of any help with that? Without further clue, I will be forced to restore that device to factory default and sell it half the price I bought it as an Internet-only tablet. It will probably work somewhat well if one never installs anything on it I guess.

Thanks for any help.

oldcpu
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Default Problem is upstream - ICS is still not stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBuist View Post
I don't want a tablet stuck to an old version of Android;
The problem with that view, IMHO, is there currently is no stable version of the new ICS. If you read every forum of a Tablet with ICS (and indeed the phones with ICS) you will find ICS is not yet stable. Even 4.0.4 after some initial enthusiasm, has not been proven to provide the stability that many of those complaining on this thread, want to see.

IMHO the problem is mostly upstream, and it will take time to fix. Jumping to another Tablet, will IMHO show similar instability, where some with the other Tablets (and phones) have the problem, and some do not.

EricBuist
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
The problem with that view, IMHO, is there currently is no stable version of the new ICS. If you read every forum of a Tablet with ICS (and indeed the phones with ICS) you will find ICS is not yet stable. Even 4.0.4 after some initial enthusiasm, has not been proven to provide the stability that many of those complaining on this thread, want to see.

IMHO the problem is mostly upstream, and it will take time to fix. Jumping to another Tablet, will IMHO show similar instability, where some with the other Tablets (and phones) have the problem, and some do not.
Ok, if the problem is upstream, then I guess I just did the wrong choice with Android. This is a bit frustrating, because nowadays, I always do the wrong choice when purchasing an item. There are so many variables to consider that there are just too many possibilities for a mistake, and no one in my neighberhood is interested in such items, so I am alone trying on the bleeding edge and stuck with problems only few people can understand fully.

By the way, I found a wonderful overview of TF101 rooting+unlocking+troubleshooting on http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1494230.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

I myself tried NVFlash, since I have a B60, but I just cannot get a compatible ROM for it. Download sites for these ROMs are VERY slow unless I subscribe to Premium membership and I would like to avoid starting paying 20$ per month just to get a single file. I know unsubscription after the download is likely to be a hard task.
I thus fell back to CWM that I got working yesterday, and found I can wipe data and cache separately. I thus tried to wipe cache and davlik cache, then rebooted. I'll see if it helps. The bootloop is less frequent since I disabled animated background, removed all widgets from my homescreens, toggled the checkbox to disable networking while in sleep mode and finally disabled notifications altogether. If no bootloop happens anymore, I will try progressively reactivating some functionalities. Otherwise, I will try a reflash after a full wipe, then the downgrade (with another full wipe).