Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,443 Members 50,009 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[2014.07.09] DSLR Controller v0.99.5 BETA

Tip us?

chris24g
Old
(Last edited by chris24g; 26th April 2012 at 02:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default USB cable length

Believe it or not, got a 15ft (yes, feet, approx 4.5m) USB extension and it is working with my Canon 7D and proper ICS (no root).

So I think the USB cable length issue is not an issue.

jnrfalcon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Yes, OTG cable is not a normal cable. That is why we call it an OTG cable. But your phone still isn't compatible!
I heard someone said that G12 only need a extra power supply, why it still not working with both sides get it's own power? and i'm sure someone have successfully used some otg devices on Desire...

chris24g
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrfalcon View Post
and i'm sure someone have successfully used some otg devices on Desire...
some OTG devices may work with HTC hardware but Canon hardware is one that does not.

That really is too bad for HTC, they make some pretty good stuff. Maybe their next gen ICS hardware will play nice.

Until then, stick with Samsung or any of the confirmed mfrs that work. It will save you a lot of headache/heartache/walletache.

jnrfalcon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24g View Post
headache/heartache/walletache.
T.T unless i pass my DS to my dad and buy something else that support OTG... or it will be my phone for the next 2 or 3 years...

clemi62
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by msatter View Post
Is it now working?

I have to check my 7" tablet my tablet which is rooted how I can have it working with DSLRcontroller.
Yes it's working!

Chainfire
Old
Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? - OP
Thanks Meter 48808

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro42 View Post
i have not been able to reproduce the lockup again. i did get liveview to break when coming back from HDR. it'd shoot just fine, but just wouldn't show live view. i also managed to get a FC which i reported.

as far as intervals, perhaps i'm not understanding the problem. my understanding is that interval would be the time between shots regardless of the exposure time.

so 10 shots at 10 seconds each with a 2 second interval would go like

{10sec}[2sec]{10sec}[2sec]{10sec}[2sec]{10sec}[2sec]{10sec}[2sec]{10sec}[2sec]{10sec}[2sec]{10sec}[2sec]{10sec}[2sec]{10sec} =1m58s

but it just says 18s as if each shot took no time. not much difference if you are doing shots under a second, but whats the point of showing a shot duration if it's not accurate?
Interval is the time between the start of each shot including exposure time, not between the end of shot A and the begin of shot B. The latter would be completely unreliable and will always give you a speed shifting timelapse.

That is why the interval is between the start of each shot. Go to the store and find yourself a real external intervalometer - they all work this way.

It depends on the speed of your camera (some can do 2-second interval over USB, some need 3-second, etc), but you should set interval to (exposure time) + (2-3 seconds) minimum.

Quote:
Believe it or not, got a 15ft (yes, feet, approx 4.5m) USB extension and it is working with my Canon 7D and proper ICS (no root). So I think the USB cable length issue is not an issue.
It is definitely an issue, but it isn't an issue for everyone. It depends on the quality of the cable, the quality of the connectors (both internal and external), the type of USB chip used, etc.

Just because something works for you doesn't suddenly mean the problem is gone. The maximum un-powered cable length for USB is 5 meters - under ideal conditions, but depending on the above factors, you can run into trouble with much shorter cable length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrfalcon View Post
I heard someone said that G12 only need a extra power supply, why it still not working with both sides get it's own power? and i'm sure someone have successfully used some otg devices on Desire...
I can't comment on the ability of OTG working on the Desire with hacks and whatnot, but the reason you need an extra power supply is because the Desire does not send power down the USB wire. This is needed for USB host communication even if both devices already have power.

Quote:
some OTG devices may work with HTC hardware but Canon hardware is one that does not.

That really is too bad for HTC, they make some pretty good stuff. Maybe their next gen ICS hardware will play nice.

Until then, stick with Samsung or any of the confirmed mfrs that work. It will save you a lot of headache/heartache/walletache.
Nonsense, it's not the Canon hardware that doesn't play nice with HTC, it's HTC that doesn't play nice with USB host / OTG. This is an HTC problem, not a Canon problem.
BLOG - G+(Chainfire) - G+(Personal) - TWITTER - IRC - DONATE

A proper quote includes only the relevant paragraphs, and a proper post never ends with the word "why"

Android
HTC G1, Hero, One
Samsung i5800, i9000*2, P1000*2, P7100, i9100*2, N7000, P6800, i9300, N7100, i9505, N9005
Sony T LT30p, Z C6603
Nexus Galaxy*2, N7, N10, N7-2013

SuperSU, Mobile ODIN, TriangleAway, DSLR Controller, CF-Root, 500 Firepaper, OpenDelta, USB Host Diagnostics, ExynosAbuseAPK, Live dmesg+logcat, NoMoarPowah!, CF-Bench, Chainfire3D, CF.lumen, SGS2 SIM Unlocker, GingerBreakAPK, SuperPower, and more!

Windows Mobile 5/6
E-Mobile EM-ONE
HTC Wizard*2, Kaiser, Touch, Diamond, Pro, HD*2, Diamond 2, Pro 2*2, HD2*2
Samsung i780, i900*2, i8000*2, b7300, b7320, b7330, b7620*2, b6520

WMWifiRouter, KaiserTweak, FPUEnabler, WMLongLife, WMRegOptimizer, CFC+GUI, TF3D+v2 ports, Kaiser+Omnia2+Snapdragon 3D drivers, GfxBoost, and more!

Windows Phone 7
LG GW910

NOTICE: I do not respond to tech support questions through PM.

mermaidkiller
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default Downloading images not supported yet ?

Will download of pictures / movies (from camera to Android device) be available in future versions ?
Or does this require a PTP driver for Android ?
Would be very helpful.
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 international edition

SlimKat ROM (4.4.2) build 4, root enabled.
Xposed 2.5.1

chris24g
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Nonsense, it's not the Canon hardware that doesn't play nice with HTC, it's HTC that doesn't play nice with USB host / OTG. This is an HTC problem, not a Canon problem.
I think that's what I said...

Anyway, my real reason for another post is a Feature Request.
I don't think it is too complicated, either (IMHO, of course).

First off,
The rack focus/follow focus is a dream come true for video shooters. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

To keep things compact in the field, I am dedicating a 7" tablet for my camera. The only problem I see is that the A and B preset buttons are quite small and I sometimes hit the "play" button by accident. It would be foolproof if there were two thumb sized A B buttons when in R-MF mode. In that mode, I don't need access to the lighting optimizer button, play button, or shutter speed, so that real estate could be used for larger buttons.

I hope that is not an unreasonable request.

But these may be:
Something I hope to see by version 10.0 (but hopefully sooner):
-timed follow focus: hit a button and focus is changed according to a timer (useful if the camera is on a dolly or steadicam and the same movement is being performed)
-multiple focus target presets
-a large virtual slider to control focus manually
-remote triggering of focus targets, so you can have a focus puller away from the camera rig. could be as simple as a voice trigger, or by networking to another tablet.

In the meantime, having much fun with the software (it is an insult to call it an app!)

augo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I can confirm that the rooted HTC One X does not work with a Canon 1000D with an OTG cable.

Too bad, I was looking forward to this.

It works flawlessly with my Asus Transformer though.... so weird.

stubbyd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Lets try again

before I go through getting a refund processed:

I can't get DSLR Controller to work.

I have a Canon EOS 60D at one end.

At the other is a Nook Color rooted and modded with cyanogenmod 7.1.0-encore and Android 2.3.7. I've installed Nook Tweaks (1.4.3) and turned on USB Host mode but not External VBus.

The two are linked by a Host to Go cable and my cameras USB lead. I have tried other USB leads with the same style connection as my camera.

When I start up I get the low memory warning (as an aside I can't locate where build.prop is hidden on the Nook setup) but it starts to scan for attached devices and eventually reports that "could not find a compatible camera".

I've power cycled. I've turned the camera off / on. I've pressed the shutter umpteen times. In short I think I've done all I can. Oh and just updated to latest DSLR Controller as well but no difference.

Suggestions on where to start trying to get this to work please?