[Q] Broken glass

OP DanVazz

31st January 2012, 06:54 AM   |  #21  
Flag Central Texas
Thanks Meter: 237

2,739 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks guys, this is just the info I came for. My 4 y/o nephew dropped my mother's tab and shattered the screen. I had just bought her a case a couple days ago because I knew this was going to happen sooner or later!

Thanks krispijn_s for the pics and the heads up on issues you faced. Anyone else got little tips/warnings for others that are about to do this?
6th February 2012, 12:39 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
ok..the glass is here.....but!!!! too smallllll!!!!
they write perfect fit for galaxy tabs 10.1...but the glass maybe is for a 8.9...not much!!!
return to sellers, refound e now try another one shop...
8th February 2012, 04:09 PM   |  #23  
Flag Quebec City
Thanks Meter: 80

453 posts
More
Is there a video link to show all the process to replace the screen ? a tutorial or something ?

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_19

Is there a video link to show all the process to replace the screen ? a tutorial or something ?

forget it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogVhYYakE6A
12th February 2012, 09:01 PM   |  #24  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

27 posts
I've now replaced my digitizer - my problem is that it won't work properly... I can't do my unlocking code, since it wont register my swype across the screen - but it will work if i press one dot at a time - only in some cases it will register 2 dots. What can cause this problem?

Problem fixed - the connector somehow didnt get properly connected xD
Last edited by DanVazz; 12th February 2012 at 09:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DanVazz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th February 2012, 10:31 PM   |  #25  
Flag Stompetoren
Thanks Meter: 44

223 posts
More
Good to see you've figured it out
23rd February 2012, 02:59 AM   |  #26  
Flag Quebec City
Thanks Meter: 80

453 posts
More
Red face
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVazz

I've now replaced my digitizer - my problem is that it won't work properly... I can't do my unlocking code, since it wont register my swype across the screen - but it will work if i press one dot at a time - only in some cases it will register 2 dots. What can cause this problem?

Problem fixed - the connector somehow didnt get properly connected xD

I've got the same problem with mine...
fortunately, I remembered your post and I made it work after playing a bit with the connector .

--

Thank you everyone in this thread for all the informations...
I was confident enough to do it because of you, and my Tab is perfect now

I just hope my 2 years old daughter won't make me drop my tab again lol
26th April 2012, 11:25 AM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Galaxy Tab digitizer from ebay is not Gorilla Glass
hello guys,

I've recently shattered my Galaxy Tab 10.1 screen and immediately went to ebay to find a digitizer, well I found one:
[ebaydotcom]/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-10-1-P7500-P7501-Touch-Screen-Glass-Digitizer-Replacement-/270916632936?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item3f1 3e3c168#ht_2136wt_1270

the problem is that it is not Gorilla Glass, it is plain plastic. so I threw 65USD to the garbage. the plastic digitizer may work, but it is not OEM gorilla glass.

now I've paid 165 USD + 40USD shipping to get my tablet fixed. I've sent it to IFixYouri.com. I asked if the digitizer was gorilla glass and they say they use only OEM products.

they say they got some parts, but not meeting their standards so they were receiving it on friday.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I do have a question for the guys that repaired their tabs.

the replacement digitizer was gorilla glass or was it plastic??
27th April 2012, 11:37 AM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 14

61 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopailot

hello guys,

I've recently shattered my Galaxy Tab 10.1 screen and immediately went to ebay to find a digitizer, well I found one:
[ebaydotcom]/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-10-1-P7500-P7501-Touch-Screen-Glass-Digitizer-Replacement-/270916632936?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item3f1 3e3c168#ht_2136wt_1270

the problem is that it is not Gorilla Glass, it is plain plastic. so I threw 65USD to the garbage. the plastic digitizer may work, but it is not OEM gorilla glass.

now I've paid 165 USD + 40USD shipping to get my tablet fixed. I've sent it to IFixYouri.com. I asked if the digitizer was gorilla glass and they say they use only OEM products.

they say they got some parts, but not meeting their standards so they were receiving it on friday.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I do have a question for the guys that repaired their tabs.

the replacement digitizer was gorilla glass or was it plastic??

There's no 'plastic' digitizer .. all are supposed to be glass .. and not gorilla glass too ..
27th April 2012, 12:48 PM   |  #29  
Flag Beaverton
Thanks Meter: 17

110 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzo71

There's no 'plastic' digitizer .. all are supposed to be glass .. and not gorilla glass too ..

Agreed. Well, sort of, the actual digitizer is a sheet of plastic adhered to the back side of the glass "lens". The whole shebang is commonly referred to as the digitizer, but it is really only the film on the back that digitizes. I have never seen them sold in separate pieces, but I guess anything is possible.

As to "gorilla glass" I have no idea where that notion came from, I can't find any official documentation reflecting this. I wish they had it out of the box, but as far as I can find, they don't.

I just replaced the digitizer on my tab a few weeks ago. It is straightforward as mentioned previously. I did use a heat gun on mine. You have to be very careful with heat so as not to damage the LCD, but it does make the job a bit easier. It still takes a lot of patience. I was at it for more than an hour start to finish.

Good Luck,
Jason
20th August 2012, 01:26 AM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
Added tip for glass replacement
Hi folks!
Had some luck following the steps here. I just replaced the glass on a 7" Galaxy Tab for a friend of the wife; she provided the replacement glass ass'y and a cheap tool kit, and most importantly a 6-pack of hard cider as my fee!

Just wanted to add that I put down strips of packing tape on the front of the unit to hold all the glass together as I disassembled it. Worked like a champ! No glass shards or particles came off, and it was totally easy to dispose of at the end.

The Following User Says Thank You to fenderbasher For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread