Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,607 Members 52,851 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ICS First Impressions

Tip us?

Mahaco
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Its going to be a long wait for EU Users i quess, only thing i wanted to know how much languages are available on this one? Does it has Dutch included?

pokoedge
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaco View Post
Its going to be a long wait for EU Users i quess, only thing i wanted to know how much languages are available on this one? Does it has Dutch included?
heres the list of languages available from the US version.

http://imageshack.us/f/801/screenshot2012042720265.png/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pokoedge For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mahaco
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokoedge View Post
heres the list of languages available from the US version.

http://imageshack.us/f/801/screenshot2012042720265.png/
Haha this will be the Third Thanks hit for you Pokoedge +1

NaKiSm
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Angry fix for WiFi disconnecting here (free app)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_black_dragon View Post
DAMN YOU SONY!!!

Things i hate:
- this annoying wifi keepalive issue is still there!!! there is no way to keep wifi active during standby -.- damned why don't they let us users the choice... there IS an option to set the standby behavior but its still completely useless....

- sometimes there are widget issues (doesn't matter if 3rd party or preinstalled) that widgets change into editor mode when just pressing a button like update... changing screen ang going back will fix this temporarily... had this 2 times now...

- auto brigtness issue still not resolved... in low light the screen is MUCH too dark and when changing from full brightess to automatic it keeps full for a while and then goes down to min

- homescreen lag is still too much in portrait

- forced portrait is still not changable (damn i'm righthanded and want to hold it on the ROUND side when portrait is forced!!!!)

- the new ICS launcher... Sonys previous own launcher had a better overview with the sorting possibilities but ok we can have folders now...

- still no thumb keyboard -.-

things i like:
- media from SD card is now directly available and nut just for transfer... finally i have enough memory also without root and mounting stuff ^^

- the new mini-apps are nice but there is still much potential for more apps

- the new version of "Favorites" App is very nice animated and faster

- ICS possibility to deactivate system apps that are not removable... finally i get this google music player away

- a few other ICS related things...

ALL IN ALL this update is a big disappointement... they updated to ICS, integrated one or thwo new features and that's it??? all the big issues are still there since more than six months!!!!!
Just install the WiFi Lock app from the market/play store. It's free. once installed you must change the settings in the app so it will not permanently disable the WiFi once you're out of range. That's it. After that your WiFi will stay connected forever. :)
The Following User Says Thank You to NaKiSm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mahaco
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Running ics now and i am happy can not personalize app menu but accept that its perfect

the_black_dragon
Old
(Last edited by the_black_dragon; 27th April 2012 at 11:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaKiSm View Post
Just install the WiFi Lock app from the market/play store. It's free. once installed you must change the settings in the app so it will not permanently disable the WiFi once you're out of range. That's it. After that your WiFi will stay connected forever. :)
Yes i already had this. But this is just a useless Workaround! It drains the battery down in less than 30 hours!!! I have to charge it every evening! With other tablets where this works like it should I can use them for 3 days of normal usage! Android gives us the choice so Sony has to activate this option! Nothing else! I

Quote:
Originally Posted by cezarL View Post
The problem with that app from the market is that it keeps the device awake when you turn off the screen, and it eats through the battery.

On the Android phones I've used (Legend, Desire, Arc S), the WiFi remained connected, but the phone also went to sleep, battery drain was minimal.
This is the behaviour we were expecting to see in the ICS update, but unfortunately it hasn't been fixed...
EXACTLY

Gesendet von meinem Sony Tablet S mit Tapatalk 2

EwanG
Old
Thanks Meter 31

DONATE TO ME
Seems ICS moves External SD Card from /mnt/sdcard2 to /sdcard2. Sets permissions as Read-only. Help?!?
Currently on a Moto X that I bought from Republic Wireless, but currently using pure WiFi and Hangouts and Viber

the_black_dragon
Old
Thanks Meter 96
yes and no... it seems that 3rd party apps just have read rights... just the Data transfer application from sony has write rights... thats the next annoying thing because i can just download things only into internal memory and after that i have to move it....

joekrill
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Totally agree with NaKiSm. I can not *believe* they didn't fix those major issues (WiFi and brightness issues especially)! Quite ridiculous.

Also:
- Why no face unlock?
- Don't really like the multitasking thing. Seems mostly useless. I wish I could remove those icons entirely. I don't know why they wasted (probably a LOT) of time on that and not those other major issues NaKiSm mentioned.

Overall I'm kind of underwhelmed. I guess I was hoping for a much better performance increase? Not really sure.

Anyone know if they added MHL support? I meant to test that out. I highly doubt it, but would have been nice. Not sure if that's a hardware thing or not, though.

cezarL
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Um... anyone else experiencing screen flicker?

Tried forcing GPU rendering in settings, and also removing CPU rendering, yet the flickering persists...