Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 45,425 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Cable] USB charging cable

Tip us?

kanefox
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Cable] USB charging cable

I need a longer charging cable, because the one that come in the box is painfully short. Can anyone help me? not sure which one I need

thanks

biggler
Old
Thanks Meter 2
You need a micro USB cable, will 5m do?
5m Micro USB cable
The Following User Says Thank You to biggler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kanefox
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Oh right..someone told me you need an official HTC lead for charging because it messes up your phone :s

Thanks very much

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Supaiku
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanefox View Post
Oh right..someone told me you need an official HTC lead for charging because it messes up your phone :s

Thanks very much

Who and why?
It's a USB cable... and the HTC one doesn't even look like it's of much quality...

ko0l
Old
(Last edited by ko0l; 26th April 2012 at 01:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaiku View Post
Who and why?
It's a USB cable... and the HTC one doesn't even look like it's of much quality...
The junk usb cables from ebay doesn't provide much power for charging..

Trust me I've been through this and did alot of testing couple years back. None of the ebay usb cables managed to provide more than 200mA on my old phone and couldn't power on any of my usb hdds. Only the official ones from htc and those that comes with a usb hdd are quality.

If you're only planning to transfer data around then I guess it doesn't matter.

rikardo1979
Old
Thanks Meter 205
On one of my places (lounge front of the TV ) I using Kindle USB cable as its quite long works great

Keep our threads clean so hit the THANKS instead of posting it
XDA Developers

sh500
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko0l View Post

Trust me I've been through this and did alot of testing couple years back. None of the ebay usb cables managed to provide more than 200mA on my old phone and couldn't power on any of my usb hdds. Only the official ones from htc and those that comes with a usb hdd are quality.

Very true. I ordered a 2m cable from eBay a few years back and plugged in to an OEM HTC wall charger. My device - HTC Desire would take more than 10 hours to charge (that's without using the device whilst charging).

It seems to be difficult to differentiate between good and bad *long* [charging] cables. I am now thinking of going for a branded one such as Lindy to see if that is better, alternatively perhaps a 'fixed cable' AC wall charger.

twe69
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Noticed that my 3m long usb cable from ebay takes longer to charge the phone than the official htc usb cable so you guys are right.....

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

What about this belkin one 1.8m long.... 4.28 and expansys which is an actual retailer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-Pro...-/190671072901

dsgoody
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Try a decent quality cable from somebody like Cables2Go or (like above) Belkin, much better quality and can carry much more current

Dave

Supaiku
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko0l View Post

I'm sure there are many different cables sold on ebay...
But yes, long USB cables tend to have a lot of resistance. Actually, they're generally not even very good for data transfer...
That said, a quality USB cable should be fine. In any event, it's not like some devices which actually have modified cables for charging.