Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,731 Members 50,309 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root for Nook Tablet 8GB (w/ Android Market)

Tip us?

ranho acido
Old
Thanks Meter 0
A small warning, that already people mention, if it doesn't boot from the sd, just change the sd card. I tried several times and it didn't work, I change cards and voila.

ala380
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Just wanted to post another success story. I had trouble at first and tried 3 different Sandisk cards. None would work but then I tried my 2gb Kingston sd card and it booted right away. Has anyone had any luck with Sandisk? I didn't have an opportunity to try my Samsung card but Sandisk was definitely a no go for me!

old_fart
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ala380 View Post
I had trouble at first and tried 3 different Sandisk cards. None would work but then I tried my 2gb Kingston sd card and it booted right away. Has anyone had any luck with Sandisk? I didn't have an opportunity to try my Samsung card but Sandisk was definitely a no go for me!
Wow, that is the exception and 'not' the norm. you did not mention the 'class number' ? . . were all the un-happy ones class 10 ? . and the working one class-less ?
can you dnld the 'sd card' tester program ( one of many... ) CrystalDiskMark and see what it has to say about the un-cooperative ones... . . its the fourth test which is critical.

ala380
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Well...there appears to be no real rhyme or reason as to which cards work. I had to return my Tablet do to an issue with the bezel and picked up a new one today. My trusty old Kingston card did not work this time. Nor did any of my Sandisk cards (6 total in all different sizes and classes). I even tried a no name card from my mom's phone and no luck. I FINALLY decided to go ahead and format my Samsung card, which I really didn't want to do, and sure enough that worked. The fact that it worked made getting rid of my files worth it It was really a pain getting it to boot from the card this time.

LoboJim
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyj91 View Post
This may have been answered in the 20 plus pages already, if so I must have missed it.

I have been able to root my Nook tablet running 1.4.2 without a hitch.
Installed NT hidden settings and after some initial hiccups have been able to keep the unknown sources box checked.

Now, when I try to download an app from google play I still get the message about not being able to install unknown apps for security reasons.
If I go to google play using the webbrowser in an attempt to download an app I get the "app not compatible with your device" and this is for stuff like google maps, which from various videos I've seen will work on the Nook Tablet.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. It is most likely something I am missing, or I just haven't come across a set of instructions clear enough for me to make sense of what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks in advance! And thanks for all the hard work involved in getting to this point!
I'm having the same problem, I can install some apps but not others. I was using the Team-B CM7 sd solution, but got really frustrated with having to boot tethered. (I have a bunch of books that my family reads and couldn't get them to load via the nook android app, so I was always switching back and forth. PITA).

Now I'm rooted but can't load simple stuff like Facebook and Tweetdeck. My guess is that these apps were written for a tablet (honeycomb?) and google play sees my NT as a phone (gingerbread?)

Am I close? Is there a solution?

thanks! I'm learning a ton from these forums!

dcponcho
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've managed to create the sd image, and I even manage to get it to boot up, however my problem comes when I decide to power off and take out the sd card. After I take out the sd card and try to boot it up. Nothing happens, it just stays on the black screen.

I've tried to give the image more time to copy I waited up to fifteen minutes. It boots fine into the program it just afterwords. I've tried at least 4 times all with different wait times, and nothing. I was using a factory version of 1.4.2, but I read that, that shouldn't matter. I can't do the soft factory reset of holding power + N. Do I need to find a factory sd image, then come back to this and try again?

conquesoextra
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Question About memory

Hi jichuan89,

First of all sorry for my english, i know isnt good but i will try.

After doing all the process (method 1) i have 2 questions:

1.- ┐Every time that i reboot my nook, its necessary to put the microsd (flashed) again?
2.- Once im root ┐can i put a new microsd to use it as a regular memory?

Thank you, really im very grateful to you!

waynelimwf
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Need some help here with settings.db

Hi there, i have successfully rooted my nt 8gb using jichuan89's method. i tried using root explorer to copy out path: data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db so i could manually edit the settings. however i used notepad instead of sqlite3 to edit the file and now the file is corrupted. silly me for not doing any backup..

as a result, my n button isn't working anymore~
would replacing it with a valid settings.db work? would appreciate if someone could send me his/her settings!

old_fart
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynelimwf View Post
however i used notepad instead of sqlite3 to edit the file and now the file is corrupted. silly me for not doing any backup..
where and how did you edit it with notepad ?
. plz start using notepad++ it can save your edit three diff. ways...

conquesoextra
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquesoextra View Post
Hi jichuan89,

First of all sorry for my english, i know isnt good but i will try.

After doing all the process (method 1) i have 2 questions:

1.- ┐Every time that i reboot my nook, its necessary to put the microsd (flashed) again?
2.- Once im root ┐can i put a new microsd to use it as a regular memory?

Thank you, really im very grateful to you!
Update: Im root whit google play now, i got problems whit a kingston microsd 2g... I changed it for one Samsung microsd 4gb and works perfectly!

Thank you jichuan89!