5,593,293 Members 33,404 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] meh stuff

Tip us?

tvall
Old
(Last edited by tvall; 5th June 2012 at 07:53 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 795
Default [ROM] meh stuff

Welcome to my new thread. Here I will post my various random optimus v stuff. I am not too experienced with this kind of thing and I really like to experiment, so expect periods of frequent updates with small changes followed by periods of few updates where I fix everything I broke and decide what to do next.

Now for what you came here for!

Roms:
iho magpie:
This is MY rom
features:
-launcher2
-my kernel
-fm.apk removed
-magpie apps2sd-ext (see below)
-backside updater (thanks jerry!)

magpie:
This is the way i think moving apps to ext should be done. There are no extra apps, no scripts, no flashing extra stuff, no breaking on rom updates. It is all built in to the ROM's framework.
magpie is a kang of the a2sd feature found in cm5, ported to cm6 and 7 by @firer4t. Just go into the manage apps menu, and there is now a button to move to ext right next to the usual move to sd one. it just works. moving apps back is as simple as pressing the move to phone button. simple, works.

pure build:
this is a nearly pure build of iho, only differences are the removal of fm.apk, and the use of bobzhome v3.7 kernel

note: gapps are not included in any of my roms. get that from your favorite place to find gapps

downloads:
https://github.com/inferiorhumanorga...on/wiki/Binary

my kernel:
i took bobzhome's kernel and applied the -ck patchset to it, added the sio scheduler, and several other tweaks. the result is bobzhome's kernel, tweaked for responsiveness
for those who didn't understand a word i said, here you go: i took bobzhome's kernel and tweaked it to be more responsive and less likely to lag. enjoy
dl - tvall_kernel_v0.3.3.zip
source - https://github.com/tvall43/android_kernel_thunderc

Thanks goes to:
Blarf - for the awesomeness of iho
BobZhome - his awesome kernel which mine is based on
Jerryscript - the updater
Mrg666 - various patches and fixes
LeslieAnn - the forum, build server, and ftp server
Gannon - being awesome
Curiousnoob - laughs
My girlfriend - for putting up with my dev work and loving me despite the amount of time I spend doing this
my work
optimus v:
iho magpie

dream/sapphire:
DREAMTeam Froyo, United ICS, and tvall's cm7

misc:
the first chromecast system image without bootloader updates or auto updating - obsolete

If you'd like to donate to me, i accept bitcoins and electronics
BTC - 1titsVyrUw8pGEDF6Jqdh56cZjBRYAQjQ
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tvall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tvall
Old
(Last edited by tvall; 20th July 2012 at 09:30 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 795
/* reserved */

How to build my rom in 7 easy steps.

Step 1: set up a Linux or Unix (os x is supposed to work, never tried personally) box for building by following the directions at [URL=http://source.android.com][ http://source.android.com /URL] and wiki.cyanogenmod.com
Step 2: for the repo init command, the url is https://github.com/tvall43/android.git -b gingerbread
Step 3: go watch TV or something while you're running repo sync. It WILL take a while.
Step four:
Code:
$ . build/envsetup.sh
$ lunch
(Select device, the optimus v is number 8 I think)
make bacon
Step 5: feed your cat(s)
Step 6: wait for the rom to build
Step 7: if it works, celebrate! If it doesn't, figure out what went wrong.

How to build my kernel in 3 easy steps (assuming you have followed the above or similar steps)
1: git clone https://github.com/tvall43/android_kernel_thunderc.git
2: cd into it
3: ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=(path to toolchain. Ex. ../magpie/prebuilt/linux-x86/whatever..) make -j(# of CPU cores)
4: modify the build.sh script to save you time next time you build

How to build my fork of the tomato firmware for my wifi router in one easy step.
Step one: well... one, you are on the wrong site for that. Two, I haven't released any source or binaries of that. and three, there is no point to use it, ive only changed a few things

COPYING:
Android and linux is open source. feel free to do whatever you want with the sources (but be sure to keep within the terms of the licences. linux is gpl2, android is mostly apache2)
For the binaries I release, please ask before you use them as a base for other projects. I cannot think of any situation where i will say no, but its nice to receive a pm. (If I don't reply within 3 days, go ahead and do what you wish, but send me another pm quoting this post)
my work
optimus v:
iho magpie

dream/sapphire:

misc:
the first chromecast system image without bootloader updates or auto updating - obsolete

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wilberfan
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Default Launcher2 Options?

Tryin' out your ROM, but I'm having trouble finding any options to customize Launcher2... Any hints?
LG-VM670

tvall
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberfan View Post
Tryin' out your ROM, but I'm having trouble finding any options to customize Launcher2... Any hints?
There aren't many. Launcher2 is light and fast (and some say better on the battery), at the cost of customization.
my work
optimus v:
iho magpie

dream/sapphire:

misc:

The Following User Says Thank You to tvall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wilberfan
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Default Google Play Store Force Closing

Trying to install apps from the Google Play website--but as soon as I click "install", Play force-closes on the phone...
LG-VM670

tvall
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 795
Quote:
Trying to install apps from the Google Play website--but as soon as I click "install", Play force-closes on the phone...
Never had that issue... what gapps are you using? Have you tried clearing cache and/or data for the play store?
my work
optimus v:
iho magpie

dream/sapphire:

misc:

The Following User Says Thank You to tvall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wilberfan
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvall View Post
Have you tried clearing cache and/or data for the play store?
Brilliant. I should have thought of that. Works like a charm, now! (I restored it from an old Titanium backup--that's probably why it was wonky until I deleted the cache?) Thanks!
LG-VM670

tvall
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 795
Quote:
Brilliant. I should have thought of that. Works like a charm, now! (I restored it from an old Titanium backup--that's probably why it was wonky until I deleted the cache?) Thanks!
That would do it. Glad you got it working. Enjoy the rom.
my work
optimus v:
iho magpie

dream/sapphire:

misc:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZipLipZ
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Your kernal is great! Amazing how responsive it is. Thanks for putting it together!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using XDA
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZipLipZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Curiousn00b
Old
Thanks Meter 525
Been flashing your kernel on everything as well.

Btw, how can you make Launcher2 faster?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5