Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,799 Members 48,885 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kernel issue - Bricked By a Stunner Rom version

Tip us?

MR.change
Old
Thanks Meter 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill392 View Post
This is correct, abyssnote should also be fine for writing to system, but you don't want to be flashing it in cwm from an affected kernel. It would be ideal if you flashed ANY unaffected root kernel using Odin before flashing a ROM in recovery. I believe it is okay for a ROM to include an affected kernel, too, so long as you don't do very intensive writing to the system partition while using it, but you would need to flash an unaffected kernel in desktop Odin again before flashing something else in recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 Commie View Post

The Mobile Odin is, according to the information available (and that is what it does) boots it's own kernel when you flash so it should be safe to use to flash a safe kernel.
This is actually quite interesting , I didn't know that mobile ODIN uses it's own kernel to flash ,even though I use it as my preferred flashing method.
Although I think the reason most devs refrain from using it is because it doesn't maintain root on ICS ?
Can anybody confirm or deny this please?

MrSlippyFist
Old
Thanks Meter 6
OK y'all my problem is that I'm stuck in version 5 stunner... my cwm won't work for anything... I tried to flash abyss red,1.4.26 and 25....it gets stuck in installing mode....so wtf....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

remixtech
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippyFist View Post
OK y'all my problem is that I'm stuck in version 5 stunner... my cwm won't work for anything... I tried to flash abyss red,1.4.26 and 25....it gets stuck in installing mode....so wtf....

---> You lost root...
Galaxy Note II

MrSlippyFist
Old
Thanks Meter 6
So can I just root while I'm in stunner 5...or what's my next process

yanix
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.change View Post
That's Pretty much what I understood from entropy's posts ,but what I don't know is if abyssnote kernel 4.2 has these issues? I thought it was based on GB and thus safe to use?
And if my understanding is true then one wouldn't need PC ODIN to flash ICS ,but rather flash abyssnote 4.2 and then flash any ICS ROM.
But here is another culprit (again correct me if I'm wrong) ,most ICS ROMs come with their lp5 kernels and will override abyssnote kernel thus putting you at risk again.

So what needs to be done after flashing a ROM.zip with Recovery or even PC ODIN is to flash entropy's kernel using PC ODIN so as to overwrite the faulty kernel safely.

Did I make any sense?
I think chill392 was referring to Angelom's ICS-based Kernel which was discontinued.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1526852

brycestejskal
Old
(Last edited by brycestejskal; 27th April 2012 at 09:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippyFist View Post
So can I just root while I'm in stunner 5...or what's my next process

Download mode and Desktop Odin to a GB Rom

I Lost root as you did when I used Abyss 4.2 to go from GB to Stunner 1.4.26. Reflashed Abyss and restored Nandroid. Then used mobile ODIN to flash LP1 Repack and then flashed 1.4.26 and root was maintained.

If you lost root you will need to Download mode with desktop odin.
If you feel I may have been helpful, please hit the "Thanks" button!

Current Devices:

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 ( AT&T)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon)
Asus Transformer TF300T

Retired:
Samsung Galaxy Note (International) (AT&T)
Motorolla Atrix (AT&T)
Motorolla Droid X (Verizon)
Dell Streak 5 (AT&T)
Samsung Captivate (Samsung Galaxy S) (AT&T)
HTC Tilt2 (AT&T)
HTC Fuze (AT&T)
HTC Apache (XV6700) (Verizon)
Various Stone Age Flip Phones

chill392
Old
(Last edited by chill392; 28th April 2012 at 06:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycestejskal View Post
Download mode and Desktop Odin to a GB Rom

I Lost root as you did when I used Abyss 4.2 to go from GB to Stunner 1.4.26. Reflashed Abyss and restored Nandroid. Then used mobile ODIN to flash LP1 Repack and then flashed 1.4.26 and root was maintained.

If you lost root you will need to Download mode with desktop odin.
If you don't want to download+flash the entire LP1 repack you could just odin flash any root kernel to restore your root without wiping your note. Here is a link to the LP6 repack kernel in a .tar which you can flash in the PDA slot in desktop odin. (the action of flashing this kernel with odin should not harm your emmc despite this being one of the kernels affected by the emmc_write problems)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=160

I still urge people to start flashing Entropy's kernel at least in mobile odin prior to flashing new roms, though

Latoc
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Ok guys,

So now that I am back to GB, and everything seems to be working right, is it still possible that my flash memory is damaged and will give me trouble down the road ?

Is this like an unnoticed cancer that will kill you later, or more like a heart attack...?

Thanks for your answer.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

chill392
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latoc View Post
Ok guys,

So now that I am back to GB, and everything seems to be working right, is it still possible that my flash memory is damaged and will give me trouble down the road ?

Is this like an unnoticed cancer that will kill you later, or more like a heart attack...?

Thanks for your answer.

You're probably fine. Losing root is not necessarily related to emmc corruption.

Latoc
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill392 View Post
You're probably fine. Losing root is not necessarily related to emmc corruption.
Thanks for your answer.

I have not lost root or had any problem when I was using the different ICS roms, it's just that I am worried I might have screwed my phone without noticing it YET...

Fingers crossed.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe