Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,083 Members 50,511 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S-off is Official!!! With Instructions...

Tip us?

Demonhawk1313
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb721 View Post
Been trying to find a quick answer to this, have s-off on gingerbread firmware and ENG hboot, says locked. would it be safe and would it be worth flashing to leaked ICS firmware? Not sure if its alright to do so or if it would brick, or if i need to unlock again or if it is even worth it. thanks
Been trying to figure out the same thing. I installed the hboot at the end if the GB s-off . What's needed to get to ics? Is there a better hboot? I don't need the engineering hboot. Everything is just so confusing with all the different versions of everything . Thanks

Sent from my somewhere I can't remember.

redbean25
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonhawk1313 View Post
Been trying to figure out the same thing. I installed the hboot at the end if the GB s-off . What's needed to get to ics? Is there a better hboot? I don't need the engineering hboot. Everything is just so confusing with all the different versions of everything . Thanks

Sent from my somewhere I can't remember.
It's a bootloader...there is no performance increase by installing a different bootloader, just more development functions in the engineering ones. If you aren't developing, then there is no need to flash bootloaders. Radios can give you performance increases, but they can also break your communications if you choose the wrong ones. If you are S-OFF on GB Hboot and GB Radio, you should stay that way. No good will come of mixing HBoot and radio versions. Quite frankly, if you need to ask the difference, you should stick with what you have, because you obviously do not have the need for the additional features in the modified engineering HBoot.

As for ICS, some people have issues with heat and battery life with the ICS Radios. So to avoid being one of those people, just flash an ICS ROM with the Old Firmware Fix. Run ICS Rom on GB firmware.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redbean25 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Demonhawk1313
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbean25 View Post
It's a bootloader...there is no performance increase by installing a different bootloader, just more development functions in the engineering ones. If you aren't developing, then there is no need to flash bootloaders. Radios can give you performance increases, but they can also break your communications if you choose the wrong ones. If you are S-OFF on GB Hboot and GB Radio, you should stay that way. No good will come of mixing HBoot and radio versions. Quite frankly, if you need to ask the difference, you should stick with what you have, because you obviously do not have the need for the additional features in the modified engineering HBoot.

As for ICS, some people have issues with heat and battery life with the ICS Radios. So to avoid being one of those people, just flash an ICS ROM with the Old Firmware Fix. Run ICS Rom on GB firmware.
Thanks. The only reason I have the eng booloader is because I hit yes at the end if the s-off procedure. I'm quite fine with how everything is running at the moment, but would like to give ics a try. Can you nandrois back to GB after the patch and ics install?

Sent from somewhere, I can't remember.

kevinb721
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.mcdear View Post
Yes you can do that. but you may not want to if you're on a GB ROM. You may not want to on an ICS ROM if you have already installed the old firmware patch either.
I'm on cleanrom developer edition with firmware patch. is there any noticable differences between firmwares? do you think its even worth it?

redbean25
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Thanks. The only reason I have the eng booloader is because I hit yes at the end if the s-off procedure. I'm quite fine with how everything is running at the moment, but would like to give ics a try. Can you nandrois back to GB after the patch and ics install?

If you stay on GB, do a nandroid backup, then apply an ICS ROM, and the patch, the nandroid should restore everything back to GB without the patch should you choose to revert to GB. So Yes.

Demonhawk1313
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbean25 View Post
If you stay on GB, do a nandroid backup, then apply an ICS ROM, and the patch, the nandroid should restore everything back to GB without the patch should you choose to revert to GB. So Yes.
Thank you. That's what I was hoping for. With s-off, locked in hboot doesn't matter, correct?

redbean25
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Thank you. That's what I was hoping for. With s-off, locked in hboot doesn't matter, correct?

No. "Locked" means you cannot run fastboot flash commands for installing boot images or recoveries, but you can just put your boot.img or recovery.img into a PH98IMG.zip file and it will install it that way when you boot into Hboot...or you can just install the boot.img in recovery instead of taking the extra step to do it in hboot.

Wendemixda
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Tried to do the wire trick but Controlbear said my adb file is out of date and then it said "second backup failed...press ENTER to exit". How can I fix this? I used the same adb file about a month ago to unlock my bootloader.

DroidTemplar
Old
(Last edited by DroidTemplar; 27th April 2012 at 10:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendemixda View Post
Tried to do the wire trick but Controlbear said my adb file is out of date and then it said "second backup failed...press ENTER to exit". How can I fix this? I used the same adb file about a month ago to unlock my bootloader.
For ControlBear, make sure you are running the new 0.4 release which is supposed to make the wire trick easier.

For adb, make sure you have run the SDK Manager and updated to latest files.

For error prompts, someones this is normal and you need to keep rerunning ControlBear if the reruns help. Make sure htcUPCTLoader and PDANet tasks are killed in Windows Task Manager (with 'Show processes from all users' selected).

Running a stock ROM or CleanROM makes the trick easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to DroidTemplar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hoovnick
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Just got s-off'd!!!! Thanks again to the devs and all the help ppl have provided to each other. A little bit of reading goes a long way when it comes to knowing what to expect, and what to do when troubleshooting.