Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 41,983 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[WIP] Booting NST from the sd card

Tip us?

probbiethe1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
I followed klausef steps and made a backup img then copied over the files that we so kindly shared and my simple touch is now running off the sd card!!

I havent seen any lag like klausef but I have changed the background and added some app shortcuts to the home screen and when I take the card out it is different so I know it is running off the sd card.

Thanks klausef for all your work and helping me with this. It is great I cant wait to see how far it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to probbiethe1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

klausef
Old
(Last edited by klausef; 27th April 2012 at 02:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Highway View Post
Thread moved to general. Questions don't go in development.
This thread may die if it is moved to the general discussion forum.

Please look this thread over and consider moving it back to the development forum; it has clearly evolved into a development thread.

Cheers

probbiethe1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
I am loving my bootable sd card and having been messing around with it most of the day.

One thing though is there a way to partition the sd card so the nook will see the partition as the sd card? Right now when i try to download something it doesnt see an sd card.

The Archangel
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 3,762

DONATE TO ME
Thread has been back to development, based on thread review an PM from the OP

staylo
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Ha! Such a simple fix, yet works brilliantly. I was able to transplant my rooted system to an SD card and then run it on an out-of-the-box Nook Touch. There's no obvious slowdown

probbiethe1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Yeah I am loving my bootable sd card but still cant figure out how to partition the sd card so part of it will show up as an sd card to the nook. Also I have been trying to change the booting.pgm to a different boot image but just copying and pasting over another pgm is not working for me.

klausef
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mali100 View Post
Afaik there is no swap enabled.
Oh, so there isn't; `free` returns 0 bytes dedicated to swap. I need to source my comments a bit more thoroughly

cceerrtt
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by probbiethe1 View Post
Yeah I am loving my bootable sd card but still cant figure out how to partition the sd card so part of it will show up as an sd card to the nook. Also I have been trying to change the booting.pgm to a different boot image but just copying and pasting over another pgm is not working for me.
Hi, unfortunately I do not have sdcard that would let me to fit whole system but let me know it following would work (only assumptions baseod on my observations of the system:

1. Are you able to create additional FAT32 partition on sdcard after flashing the nook image? I believe this should be possible but I am not sure whether the nook would still be able to boot and work properly.

2. Are you able to mount the new partition in nook?

3. If yes, mount setting for sdcard seems to be stored in /system/etc/vold.conf
Code:
## vold configuration file for zoom2
# modified for encore

volume_sdcard {
    ## This is the direct uevent device path to the SD slot on the device
    media_path     /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/mmc_host/mmc0
    partition	   6
    media_type     mmc
    ##mount_point    /sdcard
    mount_point    /media
    ums_path       /devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0
}

volume_sdcard2 {
    ## Currently points to internal eMMC, assumes eMMC is formatted as FAT32
    media_path     /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.0/mmc_host/mmc1
    media_type     mmc
    ##mount_point    /media
    mount_point    /sdcard
    ums_path       /devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun1
}
Thats because the mounted sdcard is mounted as
Code:
/dev/block//vold/179:17 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
Maybe it would be possible to update vold.conf with correct patch to new partition and let him mount it.

Googie2149
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Wow, this seems to have gone really far. Awesome! I just got a new Sandisk 16GB uSD, and my Nook has a broken screen, so if anyone wants to send me experimental kernels or anything that might possibly brick the thing entirely for the sake of experimentation, I'd be happy to sacrifice my already useless Nook. Only the top 1/4 of the screen actually updates, but I can use ADB to get a look at the screen. Now time to try this for myself...
Android Devices - Nook Color running Stock 1.4.2 and CM7 from 16GB SD; Rooted Nook Simple Touch with broken screen, but still runs; Currently Stock Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 with cracked glass. I wonder how long until my NC dies...

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googie2149 View Post
Only the top 1/4 of the screen actually updates...
Have you tried editing /system/build.prop?

Code:
ro.sf.widthpixels=600
ro.sf.heightpixels=800
Maybe changing the height to 200 pixels would get you a functioning 1/4 screen?