Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[SMS INCREASE] REMOVE the 160+ SMS Limit on WP7 for HTC Arrive GOLD_C

OP mapaz04

26th April 2012, 07:13 PM   |  #41  
Thanks Meter: 11

60 posts
Yes it works fine even without a reboot on my Arrive using Ansar's 8773 V1.
Huge thanks.
26th April 2012, 08:21 PM   |  #42  
Thanks Meter: 160

255 posts
Donate to Me
More
Tower Issue
Ok, so I have now confirmed that the 160 character limit is dependent on the towers near you. I just tested texting while roaming on Verizon with the exact same setup as before. The tweak works. No wonder it wasn't working for me! It now makes sense why Sprint disabled this option!
The Following User Says Thank You to leadpoizon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th April 2012, 08:43 PM   |  #43  
Flag Bishopville, MD
Thanks Meter: 6

54 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadpoizon

Ok, so I have now confirmed that the 160 character limit is dependent on the towers near you. I just tested texting while roaming on Verizon with the exact same setup as before. The tweak works. No wonder it wasn't working for me! It now makes sense why Sprint disabled this option!

Now, if you get it working off of one tower does that mean once the fix is in it will work on the tower it previously did not work at or will texting be broken?
26th April 2012, 09:36 PM   |  #44  

255 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by turdsamich

Now, if you get it working off of one tower does that mean once the fix is in it will work on the tower it previously did not work at or will texting be broken?

I don't think so, though I have yet to find out for sure. I will try this once I am home. It wouldn't make any sense at all if it now worked at the previously non-working towers, because it doesn't have anything to do with the phone and just with the Sprint network towers. I'll post back just in case.
26th April 2012, 09:49 PM   |  #45  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tennessee
Thanks Meter: 83

302 posts
More
hmmmm....
Quote:

I don't think so, though I have yet to find out for sure. I will try this once I am home. It wouldn't make any sense at all if it now worked at the previously non-working towers, because it doesn't have anything to do with the phone and just with the Sprint network towers. I'll post back just in case.

This puzzles me a bit because I had issues when I first did it too... Thats how I came up with this procedure... When I would try it would never send and give me a response so I could retry send... When it finally worked, it has not stopped working, even after flashing other roms...

I know that as of now is just speculation but if this is true... then why did I get errors at first and then no errors now? hmmm... This is interesting... I hope that once you have experienced success it maintains that from then on...

Its also weird being that other phones (O/S's) seem to send the multiple "thread" message just fine... Anyways, I'll also be waiting on this so I can update the first post...
27th April 2012, 07:07 AM   |  #46  

255 posts
Donate to Me
More
MY FINAL RESULTS:

This method is dependent on the towers near you, because of the following*:

Some Mobile Phone Operating Systems are designed to split up texts whens they are sent over the 160 character limit before they are sent to the network (even dumb phones can do this). Windows Phone does not seem to have this capability, it sends your message in its' entirety to the network and hopes that the network can sort it out into split texts. The problem is, not all Sprint towers seem to support this. For that reason, Sprint completely disabled the option to send a text over 160 characters.

When you know this method will work**:

1. Make the registry Edit (Reboots is not really needed, WP dynamically monitors the registry, it seems.)
2. Send yourself a text over the 160 characters. (It should allow you to after the registry edit.)
3. The text will give you an error either instantly or in a few minutes.
4. Reboot, if you want (just to be sure.). Then, resend the same text.
5. It will send without errors and you should receive the content back in more than one text. Done.

When you know this method will NOT work**:

1. Make the registry Edit (Reboots is not really needed, WP dynamically monitors the registry, it seems.)
2. Send yourself a text over the 160 characters. (It should allow you to after the registry edit.)
3. The text will not give you an error. After a LONG time (an hour or so, you will get the error.)
4. During the time between you sending the text and receiving the error, your MMS and SMS will be broken and you most likely will not receive or be able to send texts.
5. Reboot your phone and things should be back to normal. Change the registry back to default value to avoid making an accidental text over 160 characters. Go yell at MS and Sprint.

* Only speculation after my trials
** YMMV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadpoizon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2012, 03:17 PM   |  #47  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tennessee
Thanks Meter: 83

302 posts
More
Unhappy
Quote:

MY FINAL RESULTS:

This method is dependent on the towers near you, because of the following*:

Some Mobile Phone Operating Systems are designed to split up texts whens they are sent over the 160 character limit before they are sent to the network (even dumb phones can do this). Windows Phone does not seem to have this capability, it sends your message in its' entirety to the network and hopes that the network can sort it out into split texts. The problem is, not all Sprint towers seem to support this. For that reason, Sprint completely disabled the option to send a text over 160 characters.

When you know this method will work**:

3. The text will give you an error either instantly or in a few minutes.
4. Reboot, if you want (just to be sure.). Then, resend the same text.
5. It will send without errors and you should receive the content back in more than one text. Done.

When you know this method will NOT work**:

3. The text will not give you an error. After a LONG time (an hour or so, you will get the error.)
4. During the time between you sending the text and receiving the error, your MMS and SMS will be broken and you most likely will not receive or be able to send texts.
5. Reboot your phone and things should be back to normal. Change the registry back to default value to avoid making an accidental text over 160 characters. Go yell at MS and Sprint.

* Only speculation after my trials
** YMMV

Hope you dont mind, im adding this to the first post. Thanks man. that sucks though... again, I had issues at first and then they went away... maybe I was hitting an older tower at first??

Thanks for your help on this.
27th April 2012, 05:46 PM   |  #48  
Thanks Meter: 0

27 posts
seems everywhere I go has capable towers. No issues anywhere so far.
Last edited by houdini13; 27th April 2012 at 08:46 PM.
27th April 2012, 06:25 PM   |  #49  

255 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapaz04

Hope you dont mind, im adding this to the first post. Thanks man. that sucks though... again, I had issues at first and then they went away... maybe I was hitting an older tower at first??

Thanks for your help on this.

Cool. Hopefully we can figure out a work-around for that issue as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini13

seems everyone I got has capable towers. No issues anywhere so far.

Just to be clear: The issue is with towers near the person sending the text (You), not towers near people you are texting.
28th April 2012, 02:10 AM   |  #50  
Thanks Meter: 905

419 posts
More
Thank you tons! This worked perfectly for me! One error, then rebooted and resent..went through and so far so good!!!!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
160character, limit, sms, sprint
Previous Thread Next Thread