Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,023 Members 43,761 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Signal difference between AOSP and Sense?

Tip us?

OneoftheRabble
Old
Thanks Meter 524
The actual signal strength does not change from one ROM to the next. That would be impossible to do at the ROM level. The only thing that can change is the algorithm that takes the dBm signal strength given to it at the output of the transceiver and "translates" that into a readable quantity. So, if the ROM "samples" the signal more times per "x" cycle than another, the "signal strength" will be more averaged over a longer time period. The longer "sampling" time, the less averaged it will be. Then you have the unknown of HOW the ROM developer uses that information to write to the screen.
The hardware inside the phone. the distance it is from the transmitter and the environment in between is what determines your signal strength. The ONLY way to increase it or decrease it is to build in an RF amplifier or attenuator. That isn't something that can be done in firmware or software.
To many people get WAY to anal about what their different "Meters" on their phones are telling them without knowing WHAT those "meters" are actually doing.

See ya'

OotR
NEVER try and teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

<<<<<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If I helped, please click the THANKS button. I appreciate it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OneoftheRabble For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mazda
Old
Thanks Meter 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneoftheRabble View Post
The actual signal strength does not change from one ROM to the next. That would be impossible to do at the ROM level. The only thing that can change is the algorithm that takes the dBm signal strength given to it at the output of the transceiver and "translates" that into a readable quantity. So, if the ROM "samples" the signal more times per "x" cycle than another, the "signal strength" will be more averaged over a longer time period. The longer "sampling" time, the less averaged it will be. Then you have the unknown of HOW the ROM developer uses that information to write to the screen.
The hardware inside the phone. the distance it is from the transmitter and the environment in between is what determines your signal strength. The ONLY way to increase it or decrease it is to build in an RF amplifier or attenuator. That isn't something that can be done in firmware or software.
To many people get WAY to anal about what their different "Meters" on their phones are telling them without knowing WHAT those "meters" are actually doing.

See ya'

OotR

sparksco
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7831

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale View Post
The true speeds are the same (on average), and what you see with the AOSP ROM is the true strength. The sense ROMs exaggerate the signal to give customers a placebo benefit.
Yeah kinda like how Sense Roms never shows 1x.
Personally my data has always been worse on sense.
HTC G1: Bricked
HTC G1 #2: Broke
HTC Evo Shift 4G: Active
ASUS Nexus 7: Active
LGE Nexus 4: Active

2-step unroot back to stock 2.3.4 from s-off-Evo Shift 4G
My Work-Evo Shift 4G

Lead Developer of SaberMod
Team member of AOSPAL[PSD]

If I've helped you in any way shape or form please hit the thanks button

one_love_420
Old
Thanks Meter 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksco View Post
Yeah kinda like how Sense Roms never shows 1x.
Well that is because of the carrier setting it to only show 3g even during 1x. Sprint feels the need to lie to its customers making them think they are in 3g coverage when they are not. Easy fix to have it actually call on the correct array of images but IMHO we shouldnt have to do that little edit to correct it.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to one_love_420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sparksco
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7831

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_love_420 View Post
Well that is because of the carrier setting it to only show 3g even during 1x. Sprint feels the need to lie to its customers making them think they are in 3g coverage when they are not. Easy fix to have it actually call on the correct array of images but IMHO we shouldnt have to do that little edit to correct it.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah I already knew about that, that's why I mentioned that. Like I said I get better consitant data speeds on AOSP roms then on sense where the bars are constantly going up/down. For instance I'll be browsing on the web browser and loading a webpage is very sporatic on Sense Roms.
HTC G1: Bricked
HTC G1 #2: Broke
HTC Evo Shift 4G: Active
ASUS Nexus 7: Active
LGE Nexus 4: Active

2-step unroot back to stock 2.3.4 from s-off-Evo Shift 4G
My Work-Evo Shift 4G

Lead Developer of SaberMod
Team member of AOSPAL[PSD]

If I've helped you in any way shape or form please hit the thanks button