Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,385 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon force removing grandfathered "Unlimited Data"

Tip us?
 
boosterp
Old
#31  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 29
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere in Texas hidding
Sorry buddy, while true networks are strained across all the major players in 3G, they are not in LTE. LTE allows for more throughput, more people using said data, and cost the networks a lot less to maintain and upgrade. This is an industry fact, reference Current Analytics. You'll need an account though.
I drink beer yes I do.
 
Kilj0y
Old
#32  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 16
Join Date: Mar 2012
I hope they do not start trying to force people off until after the next iPhone release and I lock in another 2 years
 
Reilly1812
Old
#33  
Reilly1812's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 122
Posts: 427
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West Long Branch, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterp View Post
Sorry buddy, while true networks are strained across all the major players in 3G, they are not in LTE. LTE allows for more throughput, more people using said data, and cost the networks a lot less to maintain and upgrade. This is an industry fact, reference Current Analytics. You'll need an account though.
This might be true today but it won't last. How does someone blow through +100gb in a cycle? Video. Not easily abused in 3g but give them 4g and watch what happens. Cancel your cable internet and use your 4g exclusively. Tether everything you can think of. That 4g bottleneck will be right around the corner and watch the unlimiteds become extinct.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA
 
Product F(RED)
Old
#34  
Product F(RED)'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2556
Posts: 8,806
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1812 View Post
This might be true today but it won't last. How does someone blow through +100gb in a cycle? Video. Not easily abused in 3g but give them 4g and watch what happens. Cancel your cable internet and use your 4g exclusively. Tether everything you can think of. That 4g bottleneck will be right around the corner and watch the unlimiteds become extinct.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA
It's not true today because not many people are on 4G. It's just like when 3G came out and it wasn't something everyone had. Either way, blowing through even 50GB is ridiculous on a phone. I'm not against people tethering, as long as it's not excessive. A little browsing, a little downloading, fine. But to use your phone as a modem 24/7 is ridiculous and greedy.

Yeah you're paying for "unlimited"...Unlimited to a reasonable extent, not 9,999,999GB. I'm not siding with the carriers. In fact I think they should take your money and not worry about how you use your data. And I think they charge an obscene amount of money for service. But once you start abusing the network at other people's expense, the fun stops.

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889


 
ben7337
Old
#35  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 212
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Product F(RED) View Post
It's not true today because not many people are on 4G. It's just like when 3G came out and it wasn't something everyone had. Either way, blowing through even 50GB is ridiculous on a phone. I'm not against people tethering, as long as it's not excessive. A little browsing, a little downloading, fine. But to use your phone as a modem 24/7 is ridiculous and greedy.

Yeah you're paying for "unlimited"...Unlimited to a reasonable extent, not 9,999,999GB. I'm not siding with the carriers. In fact I think they should take your money and not worry about how you use your data. And I think they charge an obscene amount of money for service. But once you start abusing the network at other people's expense, the fun stops.
What if you commute an hour each way to and from work each day on a train, and want to watch HD video while doing so? That's 4000kbps lets say, 500kBps *60 sec * 60 min * 2 hr * 5 days a week * 4 wk/month / 1024kb/mb / 1024mb/gb= 68.66 GB a month just from daily video watching, not including any audio streaming at work or web browsing on weekends or on the go or other activities. I don't think I'd call that abuse, despite it being a lot of data. Granted it is a rare case. Most people drive to work or can't watch shows on their way, or don't have 1 hr commutes. However given that I've had LTE for all of 4 days now and used 1.6GB and all I've done is load less than 10 youtube videos, do some basic web browsing, and run a lot of speed tests. I can easily see even a moderate user hitting 20GB/month without any excessive use let alone actual abuse.

Basically I guess I'm trying to point out that reasonable "unlimited" is subjective, and can't just be decided at random.
 
boosterp
Old
#36  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 29
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere in Texas hidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1812 View Post
This might be true today but it won't last. That 4g bottleneck will be right around the corner and watch the unlimiteds become extinct.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA
Without violating NDAs with two different carriers and a law or three I can say LTE allows for a lot more expansion at a much lower cost and almost twice the users than does 3G whether it is CDMA or GSM/HSPA. The sheer reason is equipment related. So, we will not see "throttling, data caps, etc for quite some time. If you want to read more about it you can read both VZW's and ATT's FCC applications.
I drink beer yes I do.
 
Rakeesh_j
Old
(Last edited by Rakeesh_j; 29th April 2012 at 08:32 PM.)
#37  
Rakeesh_j's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 471
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Marino View Post
I wonder if this will let you break contract.
Nope. They don't remove your existing grandfathered plan unless you agree to it. You have to agree to it if you want a new phone. That wouldn't break any contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlockedNand View Post
Not surprising in the least. Sprint will have to soon end too and remove grandfathered unlimited.
Why?

Sprint doesn't even offer limited data plans, so I'm not sure how they'd remove any grandfathered plans since there aren't any to begin with.

Sprint is a pathetic carrier, but their current selling point is being the only carrier with unlimited data. Without that they don't have ****, so I don't think they'd drop it any time soon.
 
MrObvious
Old
#38  
MrObvious's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 259
Posts: 1,863
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wichita KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterp View Post
Without violating NDAs with two different carriers and a law or three I can say LTE allows for a lot more expansion at a much lower cost and almost twice the users than does 3G whether it is CDMA or GSM/HSPA. The sheer reason is equipment related. So, we will not see "throttling, data caps, etc for quite some time. If you want to read more about it you can read both VZW's and ATT's FCC applications.
That's vague. I'm sure towers with 4G still have the same amount of fiber lines going to them as the 3G towers. I've been in Verizon towers myself to strip/wax floors and saw they just had T3s and a T1 for 1X on some of the towers. Did they get bigger connections for 4G or something? I'm sure LTE itself allows for more tower to phone traffic but what about from tower to the actual network?
 
ronartest2005
Old
#39  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 86
Posts: 765
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Terre Haute,IN
Didn't someone higher up in VZW admit that they will throttle a phone that is a "data hog" if its on a "strained tower"?

Also I have been told (which doesn't mean much) by many advanced tech's that unless I change my data package that I will have it forever.

But it doesn't bother me too much, I only use around 5-6gbs a month...maybe.
 
sitizenx
Old
(Last edited by sitizenx; 1st May 2012 at 06:01 AM.) Reason: grammer
#40  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 47
Posts: 322
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterp View Post
I love all the misinformation, conjecture, an the posting of a professional email, signs of the derogation of society.
Perhaps lack of education is actually what is leading to the "degradation" of society. Yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastywheat View Post
I really came in under the wire on this one. I upgraded about three months ago; still have my unlimited data. I never really understood why providers are simply eliminating unlimited plans rather than charging exorbitant amounts of money which plenty of people would pay.
I don't know. I am assuming they are idiots. A recent study came out illustrating unlimited customers were not using anymore data than the "capped" customers. The gist of the study was by eliminating tiers of service between 300mb and 3 gb they (the carriers) were forcing people onto 3gb plans to avoid overage fees. On at&t the 300mb plan costs $20. You go over you get charged $20 for the next 300mb. Now the 3gb plan costs $30. So why take chances? Get the 3gb plan. But now that a bunch of people are getting the 3gb plan they mean to use it. Instead of having a 800mb plan or a 1gb plan they forced people onto a 3gb plan. So now that people have paid for 3gb they mean to use 3gb which means the network takes an exponential hit. Now at&t is whining about excessive use. But there are far fewer unlimited plan users out there than new 3gb users.

I have a new unlimited plan. I doubt I'll go over 3gb in normal usage. I got the plan because through my company it costs the same as a 3gb plan. Honestly with a little common sense and restraint I doubt I would go over 300mb. But if I want to relax why not pay $10/month more? Well now you are on the 3gb plan and if you have it use it.

at&t's strategy makes no sense. The solution to their network woes is having a plan in between 300mm and 3gb. An order of magnitude?! Are you serious? They need to rework their price structure and bandwidth tiers. Hammering unlimited plan customers ain't gonna solve their problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronartest2005 View Post
Didn't someone higher up in VZW admit that they will throttle a phone that is a "data hog" if its on a "strained tower"?
I don't know, but to me that would make sense. If you are streaming tons of data on a lightly used LTE tower on a Sunday afternoon why should they throttle you? Most of my heavy data use does NOT occur during the business day. Data should be like minutes. If you are using it off peak and on a non-congested tower they should let you download away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
I'm sure LTE itself allows for more tower to phone traffic but what about from tower to the actual network?
That's the real question. We don't want to be gouged but at the same time carriers have costs. I would really love to know what the TRUE costs are. I think at&t should make a profit. I just don't think they should make an exorbitant profit. Plus I like things to make sense. $20 for unlimited text and $30 for "unlimited" data doesn't make sense. My text messaging puts zero strain on the at&t network. If I abused by unlimited data plan it would definitely make a dent... until throttling kicked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post
What if you commute an hour each way to and from work each day on a train, and want to watch HD video while doing so? That's 4000kbps lets say, 500kBps *60 sec * 60 min * 2 hr * 5 days a week * 4 wk/month / 1024kb/mb / 1024mb/gb= 68.66 GB a month just from daily video watching, not including any audio streaming at work or web browsing on weekends or on the go or other activities. I don't think I'd call that abuse, despite it being a lot of data.
You do realize with modern technology you can download video podcasts at night over wifi while your phone charges.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post
However given that I've had LTE for all of 4 days now and used 1.6GB and all I've done is load less than 10 youtube videos, do some basic web browsing, and run a lot of speed tests. I can easily see even a moderate user hitting 20GB/month without any excessive use let alone actual abuse.
The network should not be required to accommodate excessive "speed tests."

I have no plans of abusing at&t's network. But if I am on the road and I plug my phone in overnight I should be able to download all the latest podcasts with minimal hassle. I think that is a reasonable accommodation. Unfortunately at&t or Microsoft has denied that. They will not download podcasts over cellular even during off hours. So if I am on the road and it is midnight and I want to download a podcast for the next day I have to sign up for hotel wifi even if there is a 30 Mbits/sec unused LTE tower near by. Total technology fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterp View Post
Sorry buddy, while true networks are strained across all the major players in 3G, they are not in LTE. LTE allows for more throughput, more people using said data, and cost the networks a lot less to maintain and upgrade. This is an industry fact, reference Current Analytics. You'll need an account though.
I'm with you on that... till a point. Wait until the iphone LTE hits. Then tell me what is and is not "strained." If it's not strained then they should let us unlimited LTE guys download with impunity. If it's strained then some sensible temporary throttling makes sense in my opinion.
Nokia Lumia 900
Let me get this straight you don't have a phone with this OS. You don't like this OS, but yet you are always hanging out in this OS' forum.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sitizenx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes