Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,477 Members 41,645 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help with .181 update?

Tip us?

Florestan2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Question [Q] Help with .181 update?

(if this is in the wrong area, please feel free to move)

Hi Ė long time lurker here, but Iím having similar problems as others with getting the .181 update to be successful. In short, I can d/l it, and start the install, but then it fails after about 25% of the way through. Iím stock, and rooted. Havenít frozen or uninstalled any bloatware.

I think the problem lies with Bootstrap app. I heard somewhere that this would cause problems with the update, so you should uninstall it first. Ok Ė so I blindly just uninstalled the app. But I donít think that really worked, since I still have CWM installed. ROM Manager is also installed (I donít remember putting it on, but I have the icon for it). I also have JRUMMYís ROM Toolbox (paid version). Otherwise, just some other standard rooted tools, like Titanium BU, SU, Voodoo, and a font switcher.

So I donít know what to do at this point. Not sure if I want to try to finish uninstalling Bootstrap, or if I should just try adding it back. Thoughts? Iíve tried deleting the logwrapper file (and then renaming the logwrapper.bin to logwrapper). But that failed too, because I donít have permission. Not sure how to correct that either. Iíve got ďUp to rootĒ checked on ES File Explorer, but doesnít seem to work.

Iíd use Mattís utitliy (is that the same as RSD?), but donít want to lose all my data on my internal sdcard, or start from scratch for that matter either.

Any suggestions, or help??

Florestan2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
OK. Got bootstrap reinstalled, but the update still fails. Getting frustrated....
Sliced in with my Razr Maxx....

T.D.B
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default Same problem here...let me know when you solve it

I unrooted but still a no go. Need someone to please provide link so I can flash it myself.
Thanks
TDB

detcup4evr
Old
Thanks Meter 314
Just posted this in the new release forum, but was having the same issue i uninstalled boot strap and the install is running now.

1. Reroot (If not currently rooted)
2. Get root explorer in the market
3. Uninstall the bootstrap app
4. Go into root explorer to system/bin
5. In top right corner tap r/w
6. Delete the file called hijack
7. Delete logwrapper
8. Rename logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper
9. Reboot and it should be gone.
(thanks to Droidforums member Hostility6)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...-recovery.html

n8w
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I'm thinking my use of the rom toolbox app is what messed up my process. I could not for the life of me get my battery icon back, or get my status bar back to stock. I must have also missed a step when clearing out the bootstrap files, although I had previously uninstalled it, and then used safe strap. I had to monkey around with getting the right drivers and learning how to get into AP Fastboot, and finally figured out how to use RSD to get back to stock. After that, I immediately was able to ota to .173, than right up to .181. Re-rooted with the razr utility.

Florestan2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
@ detcup.... I followed those instructions to a T and it still failed. I'm starting to think it's my use of rom toolbox, too. I did change my font and a few notification icons but restored them all.

Now what?

Florestan2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8w View Post
I'm thinking my use of the rom toolbox app is what messed up my process. I could not for the life of me get my battery icon back, or get my status bar back to stock. I must have also missed a step when clearing out the bootstrap files, although I had previously uninstalled it, and then used safe strap. I had to monkey around with getting the right drivers and learning how to get into AP Fastboot, and finally figured out how to use RSD to get back to stock. After that, I immediately was able to ota to .173, than right up to .181. Re-rooted with the razr utility.
Did you lose any data? Or anything from your internal sd card?

Florestan2
Old
(Last edited by Florestan2; 30th April 2012 at 08:00 PM.) Reason: too much info
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
I guess I'm more of a sadist than I thought. I'd rather figure out why my phone wont' update rather than just using the RSD utility. Sheesh.

Well, I got my log file (here)... and it looks like either my build.prop is busted, or something is goofy with these 2 files: "/cache/saved.file" -or- "/data/saved.file".

I also looked inside the update .zip file and found a build.prop.p file. Can I rename it and use it as my original build.prop file? Or would that just hose my phone entirely?

Here's my log. Any hints would be much appreciated.

Parsing the directoryd_name: 2-1:1.0
Finding update package...
I:Update location: /cache/Blur_Version.6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip
Opening update package...
I:1 key(s) loaded from /res/keys
Verifying update package...
I:comment is 1461 bytes; signature 1438 bytes from end
I:whole-file signature verified
I:verify_file returned 0
Installing update...
installing motoflash extensions
installing NV updater extensions
installing omapdevtype updater extension
blk: partition "emstorage" size 8603435008 not a multiple of io_buffer_size 524288
Verifying current system...
file "/system/build.prop" doesn't have any of expected sha1 sums; checking cache
failed to stat "/cache/saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to stat "/data/saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to load cache file
script aborted: assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", "8333cc7e59d49d67326db3349fb8f878b2c3ce25", "281bd675a6a078eb147c3a9df24cc3b53e337219")
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", "8333cc7e59d49d67326db3349fb8f878b2c3ce25", "281bd675a6a078eb147c3a9df24cc3b53e337219")
E:Error in /cache/Blur_Version.6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Florestan2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Ok - well, due to time and just giving up... I ended up using Matt's DRU 1.51 utility. Worked like a charm. Still wish I knew what f'ed my phone up though.

Giblet535
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestan2 View Post
Ok - well, due to time and just giving up... I ended up using Matt's DRU 1.51 utility. Worked like a charm. Still wish I knew what f'ed my phone up though.
We're pretty much the blind leading the blind here.

We're more daring than the typical users, so typical users think we know all about these devices.

Wrong. We know some tricks that work every single time (except when they don't).

The most knowledgeable people here have simply broken their phone and then fixed it again more times than others have done. That's all, really.

Devs are the most daring of all, hacking together bits and pieces of undocumented proprietary code, then gluing it all together with the tears of their frustration. They can't tell you why XYZ doesn't work: if they knew, they'd have fixed it already.

In order to be a guru, one has to have access to Razr BIOS docs/assembly code, unlocked bootloader with docs, Moto's kernel source, and about five years. So, anyone calling themselves a Razr guru, who can't also show you their active/current Motorola employee ID badge, is probably someone you don't want to trust with anything more valuable than idle gossip.