XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I Need Different Lenses for my Glasses

Tip us?

Dr. Hax
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default I Need Different Lenses for my Glasses

Yes, I'm quite aware this is off-topic... even for off-topic xD, but in all glasses forums I've found online, there's just no activity going on -.-

I'm nearly 17, and I wear fairly high-prescription glasses. I hate the lenses. It is becoming nearly painful to look at things now!

Things are clear and sharp. No complaints there, I'm complaining about the type of lens! I'm forced to use the horrible polycarbonate lenses because I'm under 18? I want CR-39 (plastic) lenses because the visual quality is MUCH better. On poly lenses, on the edges, there's significant color distortion.
I requested plastic lenses and the lady was asking me why as if it was the most far-fetched thing she had ever heard, and I explained fairly clearly why I want them instead. Then she was all "Ok, but plastic lenses are gonna be about twice as thick" I stopped her there and said "Honestly, I could care less about that. I take pictures and view 2 fairly large computer screens for a good portion of my day, every day. I have a wide view area, and I'd appreciate no color distortion for the minute 'con' of being thicker. I really don't think anyone else will care either."
she had this look on her face like I had just explained to an iPhone fanatic how the Galaxy Nexus pwns it. And she finally says "Well... umm... our policy is that anyone under 18 HAS to have polycarbonate lenses because they're shatterproof."

It was so difficult to say "Oh... Thanks anyway...." but I did without even sounding rude -.-
she seriously wasted my time to hear me explain, only to tell me I have no choice? and what kind of bs reason is they're shatterproof? Who cares? Plastic isn't going to ruin my eyes when they break from an impact unless it's an impact that would cause it to break in a similar matter to glass. I don't play sports, so polycarbonate lenses makes no sense.
On top of it all, plastic lenses are MUCH cheaper. Better visual quality and cheaper.

What do I do? I've had these glasses for about a month now and had the lenses changed today because my prescription was off. what are my options? I can't do contacts because they're expensive and I have astigmatism. There must be something I can do.
Current phones: Google Nexus 4 (16GB) and Samsung Galaxy Note II (T-Mobile)
Retired phones: DROID RAZR M. Galaxy Nexus (borked and sold)HTC Thunderbolt. HTC Rezound ("rented") Droid Incredible (gave to girlfriend) and Droid X (sold!)
Computer setup: AMD Phenom II X4 820 OC'd to 3.2GHz with 4GB DDR3 and an Nvidia GeForce GTX470

Earphones: Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10's

This statement is false.
New mission: abort mission.
Does a set of all sets contain itself?

j8048188
Old
Thanks Meter 33
If you're in the USA you could try Costco for contacts. They're loads cheaper there. I only buy 1 box of each prescription at a time, then use the lenses until they wear out. I take them out each night and clean them with a solution called Clear Care. If you want to go that route I recommend the AirOptix lenses. In the long run, it's been cheaper than glasses.

Sent from my NookColor using XDA

TheSkinnyDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 4497
Quote:
Originally Posted by j8048188 View Post
If you're in the USA you could try Costco for contacts. They're loads cheaper there. I only buy 1 box of each prescription at a time, then use the lenses until they wear out. I take them out each night and clean them with a solution called Clear Care. If you want to go that route I recommend the AirOptix lenses. In the long run, it's been cheaper than glasses.

+1 on hating poly lenses. With mine, I get some color distortion, but what bugs me the most is they're blurry around the edges...I always have to look right at something for it to look clear.

Only good thing? They're practically indestructable.

Sent from my coffee pot.

KCCO

Dr. Hax
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkinnyDrummer View Post
+1 on hating poly lenses. With mine, I get some color distortion, but what bugs me the most is they're blurry around the edges...I always have to look right at something for it to look clear.

Only good thing? They're practically indestructable.

Sent from my coffee pot.
I actually would get contacts, but I like the looks glasses give me and hate the extra effort required to use contacts. And I have astigmatism. I think the eyecare places only push poly lenses to minors because they costs 2x the price and have "incentive" from the companies to push them. Sickens me. :/
Current phones: Google Nexus 4 (16GB) and Samsung Galaxy Note II (T-Mobile)
Retired phones: DROID RAZR M. Galaxy Nexus (borked and sold)HTC Thunderbolt. HTC Rezound ("rented") Droid Incredible (gave to girlfriend) and Droid X (sold!)
Computer setup: AMD Phenom II X4 820 OC'd to 3.2GHz with 4GB DDR3 and an Nvidia GeForce GTX470

Earphones: Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10's

This statement is false.
New mission: abort mission.
Does a set of all sets contain itself?

omnomnomkimiiee
Old
Thanks Meter 264
In the US, the glasses have to be shatterproof for legal reasons (If they break and you bust an eye, you could potentially sue the company who sold them to you). However, it might be possible if your parents accompany you and agree to sign a waiver stating that they accept full responsibility blahblahblah ....

-----------
"You can overclock as much as you want, your phone will always seem too slow."

ArmorD
Old
Thanks Meter 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Hax View Post
Yes, I'm quite aware this is off-topic... even for off-topic xD, but in all glasses forums I've found online, there's just no activity going on -.-
Do they even have forums for eye glasses? Seriously!
My Big Boy:
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE
⌐■_■SlimKat⌐■_■

G̶a̶l̶a̶x̶y̶ ̶S̶2̶ ̶I̶n̶t̶.̶
i̶9̶0̶0̶0̶
Z̶T̶E̶ ̶B̶l̶a̶d̶e̶
N̶e̶x̶u̶s̶ ̶7̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶2̶
T̶r̶o̶n̶s̶m̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶C̶X̶-̶9̶1̶9̶
O̶U̶Y̶A̶

I put the sex in dyslexia

xaccers
Old
Thanks Meter 408
Contact https://www.glassesuk.co.uk and see if they'll ship outside Europe or find someone to forward them on to you. Plastic lenses.

Probably posted while on the loo

"Many phenomena wars, plagues, sudden audits have been advanced as evidence for the hidden hand of Satan in the affairs of man, but whenever students of demonology get together the M25 London orbital motorway is generally agreed to be among the top contenders for exhibit A."

thelowend
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 416
I feel your pain OP. All my life my lens prescription has been horrendous. I will never be able to get Rimless glasses, contact and custom lenses are almost $300 for me. Thankfully I have good insurance.

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk 2

85gallon
Old
Thanks Meter 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnomnomkimiiee View Post
In the US, the glasses have to be shatterproof for legal reasons (If they break and you bust an eye, you could potentially sue the company who sold them to you). However, it might be possible if your parents accompany you and agree to sign a waiver stating that they accept full responsibility blahblahblah ....

-----------
"You can overclock as much as you want, your phone will always seem too slow."
Transmitter and Receiver Of Laser Light

If I helped, please hit the Thanks button. It only takes one finger.

j8048188
Old
(Last edited by j8048188; 15th June 2012 at 02:58 AM.)
Thanks Meter 33
Try zennioptical.com. Glasses starting @ $7.

Edit: they are made in China. That's why they are so cheap.