I Need Different Lenses for my Glasses

OP Dr. Hax

27th April 2012, 09:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Virginia Beach
Thanks Meter: 11

332 posts
More
Yes, I'm quite aware this is off-topic... even for off-topic xD, but in all glasses forums I've found online, there's just no activity going on -.-

I'm nearly 17, and I wear fairly high-prescription glasses. I hate the lenses. It is becoming nearly painful to look at things now!

Things are clear and sharp. No complaints there, I'm complaining about the type of lens! I'm forced to use the horrible polycarbonate lenses because I'm under 18? I want CR-39 (plastic) lenses because the visual quality is MUCH better. On poly lenses, on the edges, there's significant color distortion.
I requested plastic lenses and the lady was asking me why as if it was the most far-fetched thing she had ever heard, and I explained fairly clearly why I want them instead. Then she was all "Ok, but plastic lenses are gonna be about twice as thick" I stopped her there and said "Honestly, I could care less about that. I take pictures and view 2 fairly large computer screens for a good portion of my day, every day. I have a wide view area, and I'd appreciate no color distortion for the minute 'con' of being thicker. I really don't think anyone else will care either."
she had this look on her face like I had just explained to an iPhone fanatic how the Galaxy Nexus pwns it. And she finally says "Well... umm... our policy is that anyone under 18 HAS to have polycarbonate lenses because they're shatterproof."

It was so difficult to say "Oh... Thanks anyway...." but I did without even sounding rude -.-
she seriously wasted my time to hear me explain, only to tell me I have no choice? and what kind of bs reason is they're shatterproof? Who cares? Plastic isn't going to ruin my eyes when they break from an impact unless it's an impact that would cause it to break in a similar matter to glass. I don't play sports, so polycarbonate lenses makes no sense.
On top of it all, plastic lenses are MUCH cheaper. Better visual quality and cheaper.

What do I do? I've had these glasses for about a month now and had the lenses changed today because my prescription was off. what are my options? I can't do contacts because they're expensive and I have astigmatism. There must be something I can do.
28th April 2012, 03:35 AM   |  #2  
Flag Riverton, UT
Thanks Meter: 33

132 posts
More
If you're in the USA you could try Costco for contacts. They're loads cheaper there. I only buy 1 box of each prescription at a time, then use the lenses until they wear out. I take them out each night and clean them with a solution called Clear Care. If you want to go that route I recommend the AirOptix lenses. In the long run, it's been cheaper than glasses.

Sent from my NookColor using XDA
28th April 2012, 04:26 AM   |  #3  
Flag Fallbrook, CA
Thanks Meter: 4,497

15,285 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j8048188

If you're in the USA you could try Costco for contacts. They're loads cheaper there. I only buy 1 box of each prescription at a time, then use the lenses until they wear out. I take them out each night and clean them with a solution called Clear Care. If you want to go that route I recommend the AirOptix lenses. In the long run, it's been cheaper than glasses.

+1 on hating poly lenses. With mine, I get some color distortion, but what bugs me the most is they're blurry around the edges...I always have to look right at something for it to look clear.

Only good thing? They're practically indestructable.

Sent from my coffee pot.
14th June 2012, 09:57 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Virginia Beach
Thanks Meter: 11

332 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkinnyDrummer

+1 on hating poly lenses. With mine, I get some color distortion, but what bugs me the most is they're blurry around the edges...I always have to look right at something for it to look clear.

Only good thing? They're practically indestructable.

Sent from my coffee pot.

I actually would get contacts, but I like the looks glasses give me and hate the extra effort required to use contacts. And I have astigmatism. I think the eyecare places only push poly lenses to minors because they costs 2x the price and have "incentive" from the companies to push them. Sickens me. :/
14th June 2012, 10:02 PM   |  #5  
Flag Poitiers
Thanks Meter: 269

780 posts
More
In the US, the glasses have to be shatterproof for legal reasons (If they break and you bust an eye, you could potentially sue the company who sold them to you). However, it might be possible if your parents accompany you and agree to sign a waiver stating that they accept full responsibility blahblahblah ....

-----------
"You can overclock as much as you want, your phone will always seem too slow."
14th June 2012, 11:56 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 364

3,628 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Hax

Yes, I'm quite aware this is off-topic... even for off-topic xD, but in all glasses forums I've found online, there's just no activity going on -.-

Do they even have forums for eye glasses? Seriously!
15th June 2012, 12:35 AM   |  #7  
Flag Milling around Milton Keynes
Thanks Meter: 410

2,721 posts
More
Contact https://www.glassesuk.co.uk and see if they'll ship outside Europe or find someone to forward them on to you. Plastic lenses.
15th June 2012, 12:46 AM   |  #8  
Account currently disabled
Flag The cold part of Ohio
Thanks Meter: 416

2,149 posts
More
I feel your pain OP. All my life my lens prescription has been horrendous. I will never be able to get Rimless glasses, contact and custom lenses are almost $300 for me. Thankfully I have good insurance.

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk 2
15th June 2012, 02:04 AM   |  #9  
Flag BFE
Thanks Meter: 678

2,273 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnomnomkimiiee

In the US, the glasses have to be shatterproof for legal reasons (If they break and you bust an eye, you could potentially sue the company who sold them to you). However, it might be possible if your parents accompany you and agree to sign a waiver stating that they accept full responsibility blahblahblah ....

-----------
"You can overclock as much as you want, your phone will always seem too slow."

15th June 2012, 02:55 AM   |  #10  
Flag Riverton, UT
Thanks Meter: 33

132 posts
More
Try zennioptical.com. Glasses starting @ $7.

Edit: they are made in China. That's why they are so cheap.

Last edited by j8048188; 15th June 2012 at 02:58 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread