Official ASUS Thread - ICS Update on TF101 (20-Mar-2012)

OP Gary Key

27th April 2012, 09:11 PM   |  #711  
Thanks Meter: 49

185 posts
A lot of suggestions for improvement can be made about ASUS's firmware rollout process (e.g., release in a small pool first in case there are problems with it, in other words, don't release to the U.S. first; make the updates voluntary at first until you know there aren't any major problems, and then roll them out as mandatory when you know it's all clear; have a contingency plan for rolling things back if the stuff hits the fan, that's just basic change management; etc.), but, in light of the current mess, the LEAST ASUS can do now is open the padlock to allow all users to NVFlash. I don't know why you spent the time, effort, money locking users out in the first place. Stop screwing around with the rootability too. You act like videogame console makers, except you have nothing to protect. It's pretty dumb. Instead, spend the time and money on things that will entice people to want to buy your device, not stay away from it. This is Android - that means people have other options. C'mon, ASUS. If we sound overcritical sometimes, it's because we care and want to see you succeed. We are here rooting for you in this forum, in both meanings of the word.
Last edited by ssl123; 27th April 2012 at 09:42 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssl123 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2012, 09:42 PM   |  #712  
Thanks Meter: 10

107 posts
Oh well thought things were going fine...yesterday I was at 48 hours uptime, now I see I'm down at 18 which means a stealth reboot happened at some point. At least I didn't notice it, and I didn't get boot-looped or logo-stuck.

Acer Iconia with ICS 4.0.3 just installed two days ago: 53 hours uptime and counting. Come on Asus, the ball is in your court here. Acer doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation when it comes to android tablets and their ICS is more reliable than yours!

I think there is a weird charging issue since the update. People are reporting battery drained after charging all night...what if it didn't charge at all? Yesterday morning I woke up and the orange charge light on the dock was flashing, even when plugged in. This didn't happen before.
27th April 2012, 09:46 PM   |  #713  
Thanks Meter: 49

185 posts
Has Acer released their source code yet?
27th April 2012, 10:03 PM   |  #714  
Thanks Meter: 45

289 posts
More
Well, now this is just crazy weird or just strangely coincidental:

Since the update, my hubby's TF101 has rebooted or SoD'd at least once per day, while mine has done nothing but f*** up the Wi-Fi once. Today, within minutes of each other, both tablets rebooted and hung on the Asus logo screen. I was in my office printing a shipping label, when my husband says from the other room "oh gee, there it is--a reboot & hang." I laugh, not being surprised, and walk over to mine, which should have been sleeping to find it also hung on the Asus screen, at which point I think I laughed hysterically, because it's nothing short of unbelievably frustrating and utterly stupid, annoying, etc.

Meanwhile, my brother got his ICS update on his Acer A500 this morning, and says that even Angry Birds Space is playing just fine thus far. WTF, Asus. Acer gets it right, but not you?
28th April 2012, 02:02 AM   |  #715  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Update didnt work for me here either. In fact, the bootloops and crashes seem to occur more often after the latest update.

At this point, i really hope asus would do the right thing and issue a recall/refund for the tf101s owners.
28th April 2012, 03:05 AM   |  #716  
Thanks Meter: 10

107 posts
Ok...just got my first "sleep of death" since the update. Thanks for nothing, Asus.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA
28th April 2012, 03:11 AM   |  #717  
Thanks Meter: 623

3,557 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnelson

So who is ready to step up to the prime or tf300, tf700?

Not me, but then I have to be honest, Asus totally missed the mark for me.

First they told reviewers that the TF101 dock would work with any future Transformers, and then after I bought largely based on that statement, it turned out to be untrue.

Then they shot themselves in the foot with the Prime's metal case (I don't want that, especially when it wrecks signal strength) and poor design (Pogo connectors for antennas, a downgrade to monaural audio). The GPS debacle and reports of significantly poorer wifi and bluetooth reception from both end-users and professional reviews sealed that one for me.

I went from being a customer lining up to buy the Prime to one who wouldn't touch it with a fifty foot pole. The TF300 is too crippled for my liking, so that's out too. The TF700 I might've considered (well, other than Asus's major TF101 issues), but they jammed an unnecessarily, stupidly high-res screen in there which will kill its performance and battery life.

If they'd announced a TF700 with the Prime's screen and stereo audio, and if they hadn't had all these TF101 ICS issues, I might well have stayed with them whenever I get around to upgrading. As is, I'll probably jump ships to another brand when I next buy a tablet.
28th April 2012, 03:35 AM   |  #718  
Thanks Meter: 963

3,420 posts
Wow, that didn't last long! Even with the brand new loaner device I received from Asus, I received a SOD, which turned into a boot-loop after I pressed the power button a few times to try and turn the device on. This was after only 6 hours of uptime, after I stopped sing the device for only 10 or 5 minutes to check something on my Polaroid 7" tab (which runs ICS perfectly, by the way!)....

So, what is the purpose of "lending" them my unit then - I might as well just sent the "loaner" back to them, since it exhibits the same problems - that way they don't have to return anything to me later!

Not good...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2012, 03:43 AM   |  #719  
Thanks Meter: 623

3,557 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky

Wow, that didn't last long! Even with the brand new loaner device I received from Asus, I received a SOD, which turned into a boot-loop after I pressed the power button a few times to try and turn the device on. This was after only 6 hours of uptime, after I stopped sing the device for only 10 or 5 minutes to check something on my Polaroid 7" tab (which runs ICS perfectly, by the way!)....

So, what is the purpose of "lending" them my unit then - I might as well just sent the "loaner" back to them, since it exhibits the same problems - that way they don't have to return anything to me later!

Well, on the plus side, you've just beautifully confirmed that this problem is not specific to old or new units, and that Asus' claims that the problem isn't widespread are almost certainly a fairytale.

Now, can you get a boot loop, lockup, random reboot or sleep of death on the new tablet without any apps installed that aren't on there by default? (ie. create a brand new Google account, sign it in, and then do nothing except surf the web, use apps that are already on the tablet, etc.)?
28th April 2012, 03:59 AM   |  #720  
Thanks Meter: 963

3,420 posts
Yeah, that sounds like a good test to try... I'm also starting to wonder if it could be something environmental... For example, I remember working with the DD-WRT folks on a problem with DD-WRT firmware on a Linksys WRT-610N. The device would reboot randomly. I eventually found that if I changed the wifi channel used to a channel outside the normal USA spectrum (channels 12-14), the reboots would stop! It turned out that the developer had to turn on a switch telling the device to ignore channel interference (or something like that). Once they did that, you could use any channel without reboots....

I'm just wondering if something similar is going on with the wifi in the TF... I know it's a longshot, but could explain why some people have the problem and some don't - it may all depend on the wireless networks that the device can see or something like that... Just a thought...

I think I'll wait for one more issue with the loaner in it's current setup before I wipe it to defaults and test that....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
tf101, transformer
Previous Thread Next Thread