Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,832 Members 50,442 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to"re root" a500 after receiving ics ota from Acer

Tip us?

mpkrcl
Old
Thanks Meter 3
thanks. A question about your custom recovery...Does Acer Recovery Installer no longer work to install CWM again? Or have you just not attempted to re-install CWM?

tu3218
Old
(Last edited by tu3218; 28th April 2012 at 04:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinz1980 View Post
Yes I was rooted. Then went back to my original stock ROM and stock recovery then went through all the updates. I updated this morning to the stock ics from Acer. Then used the thread above to root again. However I do not have a custom recovery at the moment but root access apps are working just fine. Which is all I need for now.(I live in southern Michigan)
okay cool thanks. What did you use to unroot? For flashing back to stock recovery I will use "Acer Recovery Installer".

I tried using iconiaroot which I used to root but it still won't unroot my tablet. I even tried restarting and still nothing.

Kinz1980
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58

DONATE TO ME
I lost root when doing the updates to clarify. And no I do not have a recovery at the moment, which I don't need because I am running ics with rooted apps that is all I need. I have no reason to flash a custom ROM. I will let the developers work with this for a bit and I will probably check it or later

Sent from my ADR6350 using xda premium
Rocking the Nexus 4

tu3218
Old
Thanks Meter 246
Quote:
I lost root when doing the updates to clarify. And no I do not have a recovery at the moment, which I don't need because I am running ics with rooted apps that is all I need. I have no reason to flash a custom ROM. I will let the developers work with this for a bit and I will probably check it or later

Okay great thanks. Glad to know it still worked, flashing the ota update with still having root. Only thing that worries me is I flashed back to stock recovery using that program an went I booted to recovery, it was exclamation point inside a triangle. Hope that doesn't affect my update process.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

gammaRascal
Old
Thanks Meter 85
I hope a root option comes out that doesn't require a ROM like gingerbreak. Maybe it's not possible for ICS or there aren't any developers interested in working on it, I don't know, but I'll wait.
Interested in a custom Boot Animation for your ROM? Contact me! Want to incorporate one of my stand-alone Boot animation? Contact me!
][ Frosty-Boot [v.Clean, v.ACER & v.Full]
][ Android [GEARS]
][ Xoom-Port [Xacer]

Kinz1980
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58

DONATE TO ME
It shouldn't your stock recovery is different then a custom recovery ie cwm. You will have to find another thread or something to flash a custom recovery. If your wanting to have a custom ROM. I have no need for it. So to put this into a nut shell.

Flash back to stock ROM (honeycomb)

Flash stock recovery.

Except the ota.

Use the link in first post to"re root"your device.

You will have a stock ROM from Acer that has root access. No recovery.

I Hope this makes it clear as mud:sly:
Hit the thanks button if any of this helped you, good day.
Rocking the Nexus 4

timboger
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
It shouldn't your stock recovery is different then a custom recovery ie cwm. You will have to find another thread or something to flash a custom recovery. If your wanting to have a custom ROM. I have no need for it. So to put this into a nut shell.

Flash stock recovery.

Except the ota.

Just to let you know that you will have recovery if you follow this link.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...+in+leaked+ics

loooney2ns
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Wouldn't Rootkeeper be able to restore root after the update? It worked when I updated my Razr to the leaked ICS.

tu3218
Old
Thanks Meter 246
Quote:

Flash stock recovery.

Except the ota.

okay. sorry for all the questions, but does it matter what version of HC I'm on? You say flash back to stock, is that just if I was running a custom rom? I can't find the sdcard I have my backups on but I'm running completely stock 3.2.1 HC. Just rooted and running CWM.

rascalsblade
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default No ICS Update for me, Rooted 3.2, Need Help!

I thought having my tablet simply rooted wouldnt cause a big issue, i didnt flash it, im still running 3.2 gen 2 but no update for ics has appeared, when checking for update it says im up to date, ive checked several times, tried looking into it seeing if i had to unroot somehow which ive found no program that will unroot my tablet successfully i do not want to wipe because last time i rooted it wiped and i lost alot of important data i couldnt back up. Someone please advise me or send me the Canadian/USA Update Zip or other location for the official ics. Thanks!