No registration required

Where are the webOS users?

OP jsgraphicart

27th April 2012, 09:39 PM   |  #31  
Earth
Thanks Meter: 115

415 posts
More
webOS is an half baked product. The browser and the PDF reader are a joke. The UI feels like Windows 3.1, no customization what so ever.

And the worst of all, NO APPS !

I installed CM9 on my 3 TP a month ago and since then, no one here wants to use webOS anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagbug For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2012, 10:26 PM   |  #32  
Recognized Themer
Flag SouthEast USA
Thanks Meter: 1,839

7,913 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagbug

no one here wants to use webOS anymore.

Flat faced lie.

~ E.R.A.
27th April 2012, 11:06 PM   |  #33  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,524

5,124 posts
More
I WANT to use webOS but the lack of development sucks. The OS itself works great and is, in my opinion, still the best. I dont know why people say the browser sucks. I can search things just fine. But again, if there was more development, there would be more browsers to choose from. Overall, the ONLY thing that sucks with webOS is development.
28th April 2012, 09:38 AM   |  #34  
Flag Sandy Eggo, CA
Thanks Meter: 437

1,179 posts
More
What's webos? Lol
Android FTW
My 2 cents

Google + pertinent info = results
28th April 2012, 09:39 PM   |  #35  
Flag Orange County
Thanks Meter: 19

286 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart

I WANT to use webOS but the lack of development sucks. The OS itself works great and is, in my opinion, still the best. I dont know why people say the browser sucks. I can search things just fine. But again, if there was more development, there would be more browsers to choose from. Overall, the ONLY thing that sucks with webOS is development.

This.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
29th April 2012, 08:38 AM   |  #36  
AUH
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart

Agree with yours. WebOS need more developers to work on it. You know from Application Developers point of view, the famous OS become, more developers will develop the application for it. It happens now for Android and iPad/iPhone apps. Everywhere, we'll see apps for Android and iPad/iPhone, but not many for WebOS.

Hopefully after WebOS fully open source, and many phone manufacture adopted the WebOS on their mobile device, we'll see the WebOS apps started to be popular.
Time will tell this story, so just be patient to wait and see a good progress for it.
29th April 2012, 05:46 PM   |  #37  
Flag Tooele, UT
Thanks Meter: 310

1,673 posts
More
I agree webOS is a great OS, the thing that's lacking is apps. I thought the browser was good. It was hands down better than anything you could do in CM7. With ICS we have some better choices, but the webOS browser at least renders correct, and supports flash.

I don't think webOS will see a revival. Its the chicken vs egg problem. No one wants to develop apps if there are no users, and no one wants to use it if there are no apps. Microsoft has the same problem with WP7. But, Microsoft has a history of good dev support, and lots on money to throw at it. I think if Nokia bought palm instead of HP, webOS might have survived, in hindsight that looks like a perfect match. Nokia needed fresh software, Palm needed someone used to large scale production, with money and resources.

Meanwhile RIM thinks BB10 will save them. Maybe when RIM wakes up they could pick up webOS for their devices, but I think android is likelier. I think RIM is destined to license their OS to others and die, or fork their own build of android and die slower.

The mobile OS scene is crowded. And I think webOS's opportunity has come and gone. Getting back in now, with zero development (from HP), will be insurmountable.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777)
29th April 2012, 11:52 PM   |  #38  
Thanks Meter: 294

1,158 posts
More
The only apps I am missing in webos are handrite (handwriting note taking app) and a PDF annotation app. There are a few doodle like apps but nothing comes close to handrite in android.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk
30th April 2012, 12:58 AM   |  #39  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I purchased my TP to use with webos, however, I gave CM9 a try, and I must say I've never looked back. Incredibly more productive, full range of Apps with immediate support. K-9 email client. What more could I ask for. Sorry, but if I were developer, why would I develop for webos, when, I imagine, so many of us are using Android. All I know is my Touchpad is getting a lot more use with Android.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
30th April 2012, 12:09 PM   |  #40  
Thanks Meter: 4

25 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat

Compared to CM9, the multitasking is annoying (yay.. who doesn't love cycling though windows, and then having to find the right card in the stack..). One touch of a button, and all my active apps are right there; i can close em with a swipe, and jump to the one i want. I don't have to minimize the current app to use it either, which is so nice.

Except WebOS has actual multitasking versus Android's "implementation." The recent apps list is just that; they are not currently open apps, you aren't closing them by swiping away. You are removing them from the list. The more apps you switch to the more you gamble the fate of the one you had open. Eventually, after one app, or two, or maybe three, Android will decide it needs more memory and close the app you had open before. The next time you open it, it will either restart or, if the developer had the foresight, reload the state before you switched out of it. WebOS, by comparison, will not kill an app no matter how many you open up. Saying that WebOS has 'worse multitasking' than Android is ignoring the fact that Android doesn't have real multitasking to begin with.

/apologies if this sounds too critical, going from an n900 to android leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth regarding multitasking

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread