[Q] Dell Streak 5 Gets Honeycomb

OP crslaytor

21st January 2012, 06:25 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 3

30 posts
More
Thumbs up
This is what was written:-
"If you want Honeycomb and have a Dell Streak 5, then you can update itís OS through the phone, the package comes to a total of 155mbs (so be careful if youíre on a limited data plan, if itís an unlimited plan or unlimited WiFi youíre cool)." If this is available through the phone, How is it done? Nothing was said in the article linked or on "Dell cares" (yeh right!) twitter. I saw Honeycomb mentioned on another site & was surprised that I hadn't seen it here so I did the usual search & found this post. If this could be done over the phone this would be great for me as I am such a ninny when it comes to technology.
21st January 2012, 03:53 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 430

1,435 posts
More
@fysty-1: The author of the article the OP refers to is, to put it nicely, full of s#!^. Honeycomb will never come to a Streak 5 due to the screen being too small to effectively use it, and an official Ice Cream Sandwich release is a very remote possibility at best. In any event, Dell discontinued the Streak in North America, with the last official ROMs from North American carriers being Froyo (2.2.2). Obviously carriers in other parts of the world are getting Gingerbread, but that's an entirely different thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strephon Alkhalikoi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2012, 10:00 PM   |  #13  

30 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strephon Alkhalikoi

@fysty-1: The author of the article the OP refers to is, to put it nicely, full of s#!^. Honeycomb will never come to a Streak 5 due to the screen being too small to effectively use it, and an official Ice Cream Sandwich release is a very remote possibility at best. In any event, Dell discontinued the Streak in North America, with the last official ROMs from North American carriers being Froyo (2.2.2). Obviously carriers in other parts of the world are getting Gingerbread, but that's an entirely different thread.

Thanks Strephon. I'm sorry that what you all do is way over my head but does what you sa mean that the tutorials here are not for the N/A market? I have found a Goldwing Buddy that is willing to do the upgrades for me. All I have to do is send him my Baby. I would love ICS but the only upgrades I have found so far in my research are for the Gingerbread. But that is fine as I love what it does to my partners Sony Ex Arc. Thanks again. Cheers Angela
21st January 2012, 10:28 PM   |  #14  

1,435 posts
More
My comment about the Streak being discontinued in North America referred to getting over-the-air updates from Dell. Since Dell is no longer releasing updated ROMs for the Streak in North America, the over-the-air update function is useless. This means the only way to get an updated official ROM is to use the tutorials on the site here, which apply regardless of whether the Streak is unlocked, like mine, or carrier locked like yours.

The latest official ROM for any carrier is 407, which has a thread both in Streak 5 General and Streak 5 Android Development. That ROM is a Gingerbread ROM (Android 2.3.3). As I mentioned, the tutorials given on these forums are still applicable to the Streak and it is quite possible to get a flavor of Gingerbread, whether it be the official ROM or one of the custom ROMs, on the Streak. But we will never see Honeycomb (Android 3.x) on our Streaks. Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.x) is a remote possibility, but I'm not anticipating seeing it, and neither should you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strephon Alkhalikoi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2012, 09:51 AM   |  #15  

13 posts
More
don't need honeycomb just make it possible with gingerbread 00 region ROM..i think dell wouldn't care that one also
23rd January 2012, 12:22 PM   |  #16  

1,435 posts
More
I agree that it would be nice and agree Dell wont bother. After all the Streak is old technology today. However, despite my agreeing with your thoughts, each of us here should know how to replace the recovery or know someone who does.
14th February 2012, 11:19 PM   |  #17  
Flag Wałbrzych
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hello
I'm going to buy a Dell Streak 5, but I care to be able to:
video calls using Google Talk and video calls by front webcam.
Only problem is that the Streak 5 has the android 2.2 and video calling themselves by the front webcam 2.3 need not to mention video chat using Google Talk, where you need 2.3.7.
This is the way to the Streak 5, these two functions work?
If so, how to do this?

Please bear with us because they do not know English well and assist the google translation.
14th February 2012, 11:41 PM   |  #18  
Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,597

3,547 posts
Gtalk2 is included in 2.3.4 and newer if it supports it.

There's a mod in the mod subforum that gives you gtalk2 on 2.3.3
28th April 2012, 10:18 AM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 11

28 posts
More
hey bud...I also have a dell streak 5..got it from dell.com unlocked. Anyway, it came with Froyo which doesn't support front video calls and such related features until I upgraded to the Gingerbread Olleh KT 407 rom...I've been enjoying my Streak ever since,,it works superb...faster too. If you want I can put you through on how to get yours running on the same official rom. It takes about 25 minutes approximately...let me know what you decide..ok?
Cheers

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread