Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,489 Members 46,265 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto Does It Again!! (People are not gonna be happy)

Tip us?

FernBch
Old
(Last edited by FernBch; 28th April 2012 at 02:04 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 230
Default Moto Does It Again!! (People are not gonna be happy)

Well, I hear the 2.3.5 update is coming for the MoPho. If you want to be able to flash custom roms, kernels, etc. you should read here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1620905 It appears if you flash this you may have the same issue the Electrify users had after they flashed 2.3.5.

Way to keep, I mean, break a promise Moto!

My MoPho's in the kitchen sink!!
So much to see, so much to do.

Current Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 On VZW

Pervious devices:
Motorola Photon 4G | HTC Ozone on VZW | Moto Droid X on VZW (Rooted flashed, etc) | Motorola Q
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FernBch For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MadFlava
Old
Thanks Meter 72
I actually have 4G at my office and thats why unlocking has been a deal breaker for me. This is also the reason I wont buy another Motorola device. I bought this device, I own it. Motorola said they would unlock the bootloaders and now its pretty apparent they arent going to. I wont make the mistake of buying another Motorola phone. They need to just go back o Verizon and stay there.
The Following User Says Thank You to MadFlava For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FernBch
Old
(Last edited by Moscow Desire; 30th April 2012 at 08:06 AM.) Reason: Improper Language
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLuger82 View Post
<MOD EDIT>

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium
Maybe. I guess I can consider myself lucky. I mean, IMHO, Moto's hardware is better than most. They are well built, my reception is top notch, and I do have an unlocked device.

The part that makes Moto suck is the software end. They said they would unlock things, but it appears this is not the case. And who's to say that Sprint doesn't have a hand in this, either? I mean, if we unlock, flash, etc. we are using our devices how WE want, not how THEY want.

Just saying..............

Pervious devices:
Motorola Photon 4G | HTC Ozone on VZW | Moto Droid X on VZW (Rooted flashed, etc) | Motorola Q

pgriffinsc
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Yeah,I kind of feel the same way.I was digging around in the ICS system dump for the Razr.I almost think id rather have AOSP ICS over what Moto offers,if its gonna look like the Razrs.With ICS,they have to "theme" the AOSP Holo theme,not rework it completely per Google.And looking through the apps,no more Universal Mail Box,my personal favorite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernBch View Post
Maybe. I guess I can consider myself lucky. I mean, IMHO, Moto's hardware is better than most. They are well built, my reception is top notch, and I do have an unlocked device.

The part that makes Motor suck is the software end. They said they would unlock things, but it appears this is not the case. And who's to say that Sprint doesn't have a hand in this, either? I mean, if we unlock, flash, etc. we are using our devices how WE want, not how THEY want.

Just saying..............

DualSportDad
Old
Thanks Meter 19
i love the hardware... seriously it's the best! i hate the locked bootloader. after this phone it's nothing but Nexus phones for me here on out.
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 FHD
Sprint Note 2
Sprint Galaxy Nexus
Nexus 7

Past devices:
McPad F1
Motorola Photon
Evo3D
Evo4G
Samsung Moment

Dark Reality
Old
Thanks Meter 183
For me, Motorola's superior radio is more important than the bootloader. I live out in the country, and I use US Cellular because the Big Four don't consider service to my neck of the woods to be profitable. Even so, US Cellular service with a Samsung or HTC means I have to put my phone in the windowsill to get reception. With Motorola, I can have the phone at my desk or in bed, or in the bathroom which is practically a Faraday cage, and still get calls and messages.

I thought Sprint was abandoning the Photon. Are they still doing so?

Also, thanks for the heads up. My brother has a Photon. I'll make sure he doesn't upgrade to 2.3.5. I've tried to get him to sign up here and learn how to change up his phone. Pretty sure he just has everything stock. (He lives in another state, I've never actually seen his phone.)
HTC One M8 / Verizon / Stock/rooted

hellot1M
Old
(Last edited by hellot1M; 28th April 2012 at 11:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 329
Give it time guys. Once Motorola has released their ics update and sprint stops supporting the moto(EOL catches up) then I see no reason why they wouldn't unlock it or at least give us north America at&t so I could "lose" my phone and get its replacement and continue to use this phone as a prepaid go phone after I get my upgrade

Sprints keeping it locked down because its still a high selling phone. You would figure they would want to keep there entire north American nation on their network as long as they are still selling this phone. Sounds like good business to me while also helping the people out that do actually travel the world and still able to use their only world phone to do so. Sprint is being smart with this phone. I would do the same if I were them and if anyone complained to me I would tell them "we gave you a world phone so you could travel. You want a phone you can't leave the US with in exchange for an unlocked bootloader then get one of our many other amazing androids with unlocked restricted to north America only. Either way were getting your money and so does Motorola"

This phone already has more to offer than most high end androids out there. Top notch radios, solid design, superb CPU with nvidia graphics technology, only sprint Android to be unlocked for other country's" it does not have 3D if you want that get the evo 3D.

Please people appreciate what Motorola and sprint has offered us and stop complain so much. Sure I hate that its still locked and i can't use it for At&t but I also understood this before I bought the phone and dealt with it for what it is. Everyone here seems to knows Motorola's past about promises but yet you still purchased this device anyway...

Sent from my I9300 using XDA

FernBch
Old
(Last edited by FernBch; 28th April 2012 at 12:49 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdeaton View Post
Give it time guys. Once Motorola has released their ics update and sprint stops supporting the moto(EOL catches up) then I see no reason why they wouldn't unlock it or at least give us north America at&t so I could "lose" my phone and get its replacement and continue to use this phone as a prepaid go phone after I get my upgrade

Sprints keeping it locked down because its still a high selling phone. You would figure they would want to keep there entire north American nation on their network as long as they are still selling this phone. Sounds like good business to me while also helping the people out that do actually travel the world and still able to use their only world phone to do so. Sprint is being smart with this phone. I would do the same if I were them and if anyone complained to me I would tell them "we gave you a world phone so you could travel. You want a phone you can't leave the US with in exchange for an unlocked bootloader then get one of our many other amazing androids with unlocked restricted to north America only. Either way were getting your money and so does Motorola"

This phone already has more to offer than most high end androids out there. Top notch radios, solid design, superb CPU with nvidia graphics technology, only sprint Android to be unlocked for other country's" it does not have 3D if you want that get the evo 3D.

Please people appreciate what Motorola and sprint has offered us and stop complain so much. Sure I hate that its still locked and i can't use it for At&t but I also understood this before I bought the phone and dealt with it for what it is. Everyone here seems to knows Motorola's past about promises but yet you still purchased this device anyway...

Don't hold your breath. Moto has not unlocked any device in the past and the Photon will probably be no different. People have been begging for unlock for the first Droid X and a few others for quite some time.

It was taken away from Electrify users and now Photon users. It will not be given back.

Pervious devices:

bricky23
Old
Thanks Meter 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdeaton View Post

You misunderstand, what they are talking about here is the bootloader. It needs to be unlocked to flash custom roms and kernels. Right now unlocked bootloader means no 4g. After update it means unable to unlock bootloader at all. Has nothing to do with using on att.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
Sent from?

ericdabbs
Old
Thanks Meter 306
The OP is right. The next release for the Photon for now is a GB maintenance update. Here is a link to Moto's explanation that defines the terms "update" and "upgrade". On the SOAK test page it says that they are looking for users to test the pre-release "update". I hope the Photon doesn't have the same issues as the Electrify. I have no doubt that ICS upgrade is in the works and will be released in Q3 and this update is a side thing.

posted April 25, 2012 by Remy
ericchan3 said:
"New call for SOAK testers for an upcoming release. Look at the sticky thread for the update posted today. I am hoping its for the ICS update."

This is not going to be an ICS release for a couple of reasons:

1) It does not match up with the timeline posted here on the upgrades page.

2) Terminology; Update = maintenance update, fixes. Upgrade = OS upgrade, ie: ICS.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Thanks,

J

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/25829baf50