Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,807 Members 51,812 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why Windows 8 WILL and WONT FAIL.

Tip us?

monkeychef
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongw View Post
OK, so let's go item by item, shall we?

Let me give you an example of why it's a good thing, though. I have a friend who's a graphic designer, and has been for about 30 years. He's in his early 50's, and has used Macs for most of his career, but a Windows 7 PC since 2 years ago. A couple of weeks ago, his PC died, and I cobbled together a temporary replacement to hold him over until I can get his motherboard, which died, RMA'd. For the sake of curiosity, I asked if he'd want to try Windows 8 since this was a temporary PC anyway, and he said with a shrug, "why not?" So I configured the system (an old Pentium D 915, 2GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM hard drive, vs his Core 2 Quad, 8GB RAM, 64GB SSD with 1TB HDD) and installed his programs, gave him a very brief (literally, 10 minutes) tour of Windows 8, and sent him home.
That just made my day. I do have to agree that newer versions of Windows seem to run really well on old machines, although I do prefer a real rig for my gaming
Samsung Galaxy S4 on Sprint
-Rom: Stock
-Kernal: Stock

Retired - OG HTC Evo 4G on Sprint
-Rom: Stock
-Kernal: Stock

Acer Iconia A500
-Rom: Thor's ICS from Tegra Owners

█If you could help me get more space in Dropbox I would really appreciate it. http://db.tt/XSsDpyk
Helpful Threads!
How to Sync your Box.net account crossplatform using SocialFolder's. Here
Want to build your own computer tower, but don't know where to start? PM Me!

circleofomega
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamingwynn View Post
Here's why I think windows 8 will fail. Because its:

- Not designed for desktops
- Not enterprise friendly
- A new UI
- Desktop and metro
- Complex

Let me go on about each of my points...

When I say its not designed for desktops I mean it isn't. Let's be honest. Big fat buttons, items too far apart and massive objects. Most OEMs are obviously going to go for the more designed OS if they feel their hardware is not compatible.

It's also not enterprise friendly. You will never see windows 8 running on your work pc because when would you use these metro apps or this metro UI.... Ever?

And plus. It's a new UI - if you put somebody infront of that then they will probably be confused and say "wheres my desktop", look for the icon and never see the metro UI again until the user logs back on to windows, and then they will fly directly into the desktop.

But when you get to the desktop... It's easy right, your old Microsoft Word, click drag and yay if your on a desktop computer. And if your a touch user and your doing stuff you will probably be in the metro UI and then you want to change a word document and "...uh oh... Umm, how do I use this with a touch screen pc? Ahh.. this isn't good...." will happen becauae its not designed for touch input.

Complex... Why? If I sat somebody infront of a windows 8 pc and told them to shut down the computer they would do one of three things...

1. Hit the power button
2. Look around for the shutdown option on the start menu
3. Ask for help

A similar thing would happen if I were to ask them to change the background on the start menu.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using xda premium
I think I agree with you here man. I more or less had similar thoughts.
Desktop will be a big problem. MS is pushing hard so that devs come and design apps. I am using a Hackintosh, OS X Lion and believe me, its a great experience. For Apple, it's the other way round. Devs knock on their door.

Anyways, this is what I have to say. I may be wrong.

xxBrun0xx
Old
Thanks Meter 222
It's light weight than windows 7, so in any circumstance you could use 7, 8 will be as good if not better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Vintage144
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Does everything "new" in xda have this thread , I think the same people write them up for every device in XDA ,why will it fail or succeed! Its comical! Of course a minute after its released you'll have the crowd whining about "when is the update?"
~Motorola Moto X XT 1058~ Current (stock until BL unlock?)
~Samsung Galaxy Note II SGH-I317 - 16GB ~ retired
~Samsung Galaxy Note LTE SGH-I717 - 16GB~ retired
~Samsung Galaxy SIII SGH-I747 - 16GB~ retired
~Acer Iconia A500~ retired
~Kindle Fire 1st Gen~ retired
~LG Optimus Pro G2~ Current

No stock here , nothing but custom! except my moto x

xxBrun0xx
Old
Thanks Meter 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage144 View Post
Does everything "new" in xda have this thread , I think the same people write them up for every device in XDA ,why will it fail or succeed! Its comical! Of course a minute after its released you'll have the crowd whining about "when is the update?"
Sounds like someone has a Mac :P

KillerBunnys122
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Windows 8 will fail because...

1. It's made for a tablet
2. It's ****
3. It's made for a phone
4. It's gay
5. It's made for a console
6. It's retarded
7. Isn't this kinda like Windows Media Center?
8. DURRRRRRRRRRR

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBunnys122 View Post

2. It's ****
3. It's made for a phone
4. It's gay
6. It's retarded
8. DURRRRRRRRRRR
ok, ill bite

1, 3, 5 and the one you missed, Desktop
yes, Win 8 is made around them, to a degree, but they will all be the better for it.

2, 4, and 6 - Last time I checked it wasn't ****, its software and im pretty sure its not a physical thing, unlike the ****, lets say, that comes out of you.
Gay, well im pretty sure AI hasn't improved to the point it can be happy and for the other Gay meaning, I think you need to do ask your parents about the birds and the bees as I don't think binary 1s and 0s could be homosexual/
and as for being retarded, your kinda getting a bit offensive now, having a mental or learning disability is not a joking matter

7, Media centre??? what on earth do you mean, that's the only part of Win 8 that MS has openly said they haven't touched since 7 and that UI isn't that different from the previous versions of MCE, I think your a bit confused, which conveniently brings us to your number 8, after reading that I think your may be a bit caught up with your number 2s and perhaps (no offence intended)number 6, best go to the toilet or take a wee rest from the keyboard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dazza9075 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xxBrun0xx
Old
Thanks Meter 222
Quote:

2. It's ****
3. It's made for a phone
4. It's gay
6. It's retarded
8. DURRRRRRRRRRR
Another satisfied/braindead Apple customer

KillerBunnys122
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
Another satisfied/braindead Apple customer
Sorry but no. Apple can take their expensively useless products and bury them with their founder.

xxBrun0xx
Old
Thanks Meter 222
Quote:
Sorry but no. Apple can take their expensively useless products and bury them with their founder.
Too soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxBrun0xx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]