FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Proposal to set dalvik-vm optimizing all code

190 posts
Thanks Meter: 346
 
By hunderteins, Senior Member on 27th April 2012, 02:41 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
28th April 2012, 03:04 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Flag Heredia
Thanks Meter: 982
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Testing this now. Opera Mobile is definitely faster, and I honestly think the start time from a wipe of the dalvik cache wasn't any longer than normal.


Second that... wiping Dalvik on the Streak seems to be the same for me

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
 
 
28th April 2012, 03:13 PM |#12  
Edrill's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
Same here. Didn't notice any major difference in boot time then usual.

MIUI seems a bit more responsive after this. And I've always found MIUI to be a bit laggy compared to CM and DSC! Gonna observe it for some more time before I can be 100% sure.
28th April 2012, 03:33 PM |#13  
Senior Member
Flag Tarsus
Thanks Meter: 131
 
Donate to Me
More
Miui 2.4.20 is not laggy like old versions and it boots very fast.After i edited build.prop it's more responsive and i wrote the results of benches.
29th April 2012, 04:40 PM |#14  
_n0p_'s Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kiev
Thanks Meter: 1,830
 
More
Just a warning:
When I was experimenting with this settings, i've got caught in situation when CM7 dvm was trying to use /cache for dalvik-cache and failed.
Works fine with Nexus S dvm (as in DSC v7.0)
And I can confirm higher scores in Smartbench.
More, Smartbench somehow gives results, similar to clock value - ~930 on 998400, ~1340 on 1344000, so overclock does matter in this case.
29th April 2012, 05:08 PM |#15  
Strephon Alkhalikoi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 813
 
More
So do you recommend using it or going back to the original settings?
29th April 2012, 05:22 PM |#16  
_n0p_'s Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kiev
Thanks Meter: 1,830
 
More
I sure do.
But just in case keep handy /system/lib/libdvm.so from DSC 7.0 and nandroid backup.
libdvm.so from CM7 has reference to /cache - I wonder if binary change to /data would help.
29th April 2012, 10:13 PM |#17  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 78
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinan33

It works with MIUI too but you have to delete the another line that contains

dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y

i guess this lines value is overlapping with the other lines "u=y" value.

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

The result of first test is:
Productivity index=716
Gaming index=981

with smart bench 2012

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

The result of second test is:

Productivity index=1074
Gaming index=1569

with smart bench 2011

Ok so i need to change only the entry dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags. Below is my buildprop part where the dalvik entries are so just confirm as to what all needs to be changed

#streakOwner's recommended
dalvik.vm.startheapsize=48m
dalvik.vm.heapsize=48m
dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=v=n,o=v
dalvik.vm.dexopt-data-only=1
dalvik.vm.lockprof.threshold=150
davlik.vm.verify-bytecode=false
ro.android.kernel.checkjni=0
#wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=120
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=80
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
The Following User Says Thank You to Dude_Virus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th April 2012, 07:11 AM |#18  
_n0p_'s Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kiev
Thanks Meter: 1,830
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude_Virus

Ok so i need to change only the entry dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags. Below is my buildprop part where the dalvik entries are so just confirm as to what all needs to be changed

#streakOwner's recommended
dalvik.vm.startheapsize=48m
dalvik.vm.heapsize=48m
dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=v=n,o=v
dalvik.vm.dexopt-data-only=1
dalvik.vm.lockprof.threshold=150
davlik.vm.verify-bytecode=false
ro.android.kernel.checkjni=0
#wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=120
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=80
keyguard.no_require_sim=true

Change
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=v=n,o=v

to
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=v=n,o=a,u=y
or
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=v=n,o=a,u=y,m=y (testing now with register optimization)
The Following User Says Thank You to _n0p_ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th April 2012, 09:35 AM |#19  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 78
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _n0p_

Change
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=v=n,o=v

to
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=v=n,o=a,u=y
or
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=v=n,o=a,u=y,m=y (testing now with register optimization)

Thanks for the values....but dont i need to change the cache size to 74 as mentioned in the original post tht the cache goes to 74 mb
30th April 2012, 09:56 AM |#20  
_n0p_'s Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kiev
Thanks Meter: 1,830
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude_Virus

Thanks for the values....but dont i need to change the cache size to 74 as mentioned in the original post tht the cache goes to 74 mb

You've took cache size for heap size. That's different things. hunderteins was referring for catalog with built dalvik cache (/data/dalvik-cache)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _n0p_ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th April 2012, 09:59 AM |#21  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 78
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _n0p_

You've took cache size for heap size. That's different things. hunderteins was referring for catalog with built dalvik cache (/data/dalvik-cache)

Oops my bad..... i have applied the changes...so far not much difference lets see...

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dalvik-vm, optimize
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes