No registration required

[MOD] EXT4All Continued + Now with TWRP 2.3 Support

OP tiny4579

27th April 2012, 10:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,359

8,127 posts
More
The purpose of this thread is to host a location and continue support for a really neat ext4 mod.

IMPORTANT: If you flash the no data limit mod you need to do it after every update or your data, which won't be lost will be hidden by the contents of the data data partition.

I'm going to keep this brief. The original thread was closed so I wanted to have a new location where everyone can find the files. But this is a new thread for Jermaine151's and my EXT4all mod.

Below is the original thread which already has a lot of useful information:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1315372

Here is where you can find most of if not all the EXT4All files:

http://dinc.does-it.net/EXT4_Mods/

Sorry this thread isn't too organized but I threw one together so people could post on it with their comments.

This mod should work on all AOSP ROMs including ICS ROMs and MIUI. It's been confirmed on CM7 and MIUI but I've also tested on CM9. It should also work on all Sense ROMs and does work on every Sense ROM I've tested. Be sure to flash a newer version of the gingertiny kernel if you use a Sense ROM as the kernel version flashed to add ext4 compatibility is out of date.

V2 Mods with TWRP 2.3+ support and proper support for filesystem tweaks for ROMs that are already set to use ext4 found below:

V2 EXT4All Mods

FAQ

Q. How do I know if the ext4 mod(s) worked?
A. The best way is to do the following from terminal:
su
mount | grep /data

It should show a line with /data and ext4 and, if it has the no data limit, also a line with /data/data and ext4. If you're on an ICS/JB ROM it will show ext4 anyways. The best way to tell with the new version of the mod is to see if noauto_da_alloc shows in the results of the above commands.
Last edited by tiny4579; 10th December 2012 at 04:15 AM.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to tiny4579 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2012, 03:04 AM   |  #2  
Flag Laguna Hills, CA
Thanks Meter: 13

75 posts
More
Hey tiny, thanks for opening this btw. Wasn't sure if I should post here or on ur kernal thread but my girls dinc was having the data limit problem so I wiped cache and dalvic, flashed ext4 no data limit normal dalvic then flashed ur newest kernal (3/11 date). And I have been having the hardest time keeping her phone stable. I've tried every governor sav2, interactivex, ondemand, even sa, tried deadline, sio schedulers, even tried raising the voltages to a post u had on ur kernal thread, page 85 or something (wasn't sure if I should set the min and max of the voltages for the same thing, but that's wat I did). But she still says its very unstable. She's running stock+ 3.01 and she DOES have a cheap ebay battery in her phone, not quite sure how much that plays a role in the problem. She's at work right now so I can't pull any logs, but I know ull probably need a logcat? Or I dunno. If u could gimme directions on anything I should post to assist u. And I'm not overclocking at all for the record. On stock kernal she never had any stability issues, uptime of 200 hours+. But urs is definitely snappier and that damned data limit is the main reason y I even switched her over to begin with. Thanks tiny in advanced for everything u do!!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium
28th April 2012, 04:12 PM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer

8,127 posts
More
I'd prefer the kernel thread.

And I'll need a last_kmsg. Just copy /proc/last_kmsg with root explorer or another file explorer and attach it to a post on the kernel thread. Since you most likely eliminated undervolting by using the voltages on page 85 of the kernel thread, then it's possible the battery has an effect. I've heard that poorly made batteries can cause issues that stock batteries don't have so further deviation from stock may have an influence. Either way, I'll look at that log once you get it. Make sure not to battery pull until you can copy that log and try to do it within 24 hours of the last reboot to be safe.
28th April 2012, 07:03 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 42

588 posts
the following thread contains very simple and plain english directions for using this MOD. it helped me, and it was my first time rooting. Thanks also to tiny4579 for posting this new thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1488351
The Following User Says Thank You to funkpod For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th May 2012, 09:00 PM   |  #5  

588 posts
Question about this mod, I am running CM7.2, RC2, and onto rc3 soon.

I am having random resets, problems w/ my phone freezing, a mysterious message "sorry, process system is not responding", and other various issues. Could it be that the mod is causing some problems for my phone, or more about something that wasn't cleaned out when i flashed over a nightly?
27th May 2012, 09:06 PM   |  #6  
OP Recognized Developer

8,127 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkpod

Question about this mod, I am running CM7.2, RC2, and onto rc3 soon.

I am having random resets, problems w/ my phone freezing, a mysterious message "sorry, process system is not responding", and other various issues. Could it be that the mod is causing some problems for my phone, or more about something that wasn't cleaned out when i flashed over a nightly?

Try a logcat before wiping which i would suggest in the end or else we won't know. I don't think the mod would cause that though.

Also pull /proc/last_kmsg.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by tiny4579; 27th May 2012 at 09:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tiny4579 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th May 2012, 10:58 PM   |  #7  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 10

107 posts
More
I've been running various ICS roms and switched back to Warm rev 58. Upon installing the latest kernel and the Ext4 mod. I am unable to install apps. Any idea what may be causing this. I wasn't sure if it was the rom or not do I did an update with SVN and installed that with the same results. I have a nandroid with just the rom and all the apps I want, but would like to overclock and the stock kernel won't allow. And would also like to be able to install a new app should one arise.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using xda premium
27th May 2012, 11:52 PM   |  #8  

588 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny4579

Try a logcat before wiping which i would suggest in the end or else we won't know. I don't think the mod would cause that though.

Thanks, how do I generate the logcat?

Sent from my Incredible.
Aw yeah.
28th May 2012, 12:50 AM   |  #9  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 10

107 posts
More
Ok. It's not the kernel. Installed the most recent and everything is fine. Installed the ext4 with dalvik moved before that and rebooted and apps were missing and it wouldn't let me install new apps and some of my previously installed apps were missing. When I tried to install them it said it was going to replace an existing app and then said app not installed.
Any ideas???

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using xda premium
28th May 2012, 02:06 AM   |  #10  

588 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny4579

also, i can't see the file /proc/last_kmsg

i see /proc , and i see "kmsg" but i don't see "last_kmsg"

is that the same thing?
and for some reason, the android sdk doesn't work now, that i have uninstalled and reinstalled it...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread