OP crawlgsx

28th April 2012, 01:39 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Maine, USA
Thanks Meter: 289

1,526 posts
Donate to Me
More
Entropy recently stated that using any leaked build was dangerous.

I have used every single version of AOSP and CM9 from the beginning to current, jumping between and back and forth from GB many times with no issues.

I have also never SEEN a report of anyone bricking (when properly) flashing around with these roms.

Just curious if a case actually exists.
28th April 2012, 02:23 PM   |  #2  
Flag Lille
Thanks Meter: 114

347 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx

I have used every single version of AOSP and CM9 from the beginning to current, jumping between and back and forth from GB many times with no issues.

I have also never SEEN a report of anyone bricking (when properly) flashing around with these roms.

No but there is a risk. And the question is : "Do you want to take this risk while CM9 is announce next week with a safe kernel".

I was using Imilka Cm9, and yesterday i flashed back to GB. Maybe you could wait one week and avoid flashing a hazardous repack !
28th April 2012, 02:36 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 19

136 posts
I had no issues with Imikas cm9 roms, I used all 3 of them and have since flashed to a stock gingerbread as the video playback in all the ICS roms is not good enough yet compared to GB roms.

I have tried all the ICS leaks and gone back to GB with no issues, just waiting for a proper stable release of ICS with good video playback performance as I get in GB then I will stick with the Ice Cream
28th April 2012, 03:15 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Maine, USA

1,526 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by remixtech

No but there is a risk. And the question is : "Do you want to take this risk while CM9 is announce next week with a safe kernel".

I was using Imilka Cm9, and yesterday i flashed back to GB. Maybe you could wait one week and avoid flashing a hazardous repack !

I wasn't stating that there isn't a risk, or that anyone should chance it. Just simply that I have not heard of a single case of anyone having a problem with iMilka's releases (killing the board). Therefore my none developer point of view is that the risk must be VERY small IF said risk does truly exist with all Kernel Leak builds.

It SEEMS to me that the problem does not lie with the kernel build but the way it is scripted and executed. Hence why no one has ever had the problem with AOSP/CM9, but the problem came up with Angelom's kernel and the last Stunner build. The problems were also immediate in both cases, again where no one has ever had this problem caused by AOSP/CM9. So YES, I am sure AOSP/CM9 could have caused the problem if iMilka made whatever mistake was made by Stunner/Angelom, but I would say to me it is quite obvious he did not, and that the problem IS a mistake in the way the kernel is handled. Speculation and opinion only of course.

I have been running them since the beginning, so I am not saying I personally would have chanced it this close to offical ICS / Official CM9, but i've been running his releases for quite some time.
Last edited by crawlgsx; 28th April 2012 at 03:19 PM.
28th April 2012, 04:30 PM   |  #5  
Flag Novi Sad
Thanks Meter: 40,798

12,143 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx

Flashed all imilka Roms from day one, and never had as much as a hiccup on any one of them.
28th April 2012, 04:59 PM   |  #6  
Flag Saarbrücken
Thanks Meter: 99

296 posts
Donate to Me
More
The question is if anyone tried to restore a cwm backup ? The most of the bricks were caused by doing that task..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
28th April 2012, 05:22 PM   |  #7  
Flag Sunshine Coast, Australia
Thanks Meter: 6,827

2,454 posts
Donate to Me
More
No issues here either with Midnote or TeamMid ROMS (also tried a couple of Alba versions and Stunner).

I have flashed many times and with LP5 kernel through CWMR or Mobile Odin including full wipes.

I have made nandroid backups but haven't tried to restore any, perhaps this has saved me?
Last edited by not-i; 28th April 2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling
28th April 2012, 05:43 PM   |  #8  
Flag St.Petersburg
Thanks Meter: 51

224 posts
More
Tried CWM restore twice on ICS (missed reports that it is not recommended). Both times ended with corrupted system partition. But both times fixed this problem by flashing stock ROM with desktop Odin. Had no problems after.

The Following User Says Thank You to dimcus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2012, 06:15 PM   |  #9  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 93

761 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimcus

Tried CWM restore twice on ICS (missed reports that it is not recommended). Both times ended with corrupted system partition. But both times fixed this problem by flashing stock ROM with desktop Odin. Had no problems after.

Exactly the same here. Unable to format /system partition after restoring.

Odin managed to fix it tho.
28th April 2012, 06:45 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Maine, USA

1,526 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscurtu

The question is if anyone tried to restore a cwm backup ? The most of the bricks were caused by doing that task..

I have multiple times. CWM Backup restore works sometimes for me ICS to ICS, and fine GB to GB. ICS to GB or GB to ICS causes issues but I can easily fix them with a flash/odin/etc and still have complete access to download mode / CWM. ICS to ICS I have run in to problems such as funky root or partition issues, once again still easily fixable and still have plenty of access to the phone/flash abilities, By no means even close to a brick.

That said at this point in the game I wouldn't even consider doing a CWM restore, why even chance it!
Last edited by crawlgsx; 28th April 2012 at 06:47 PM.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread