Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,372 Members 39,452 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone bricked from iMilka's AOSP/CM9?

Tip us?

crawlgsx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 268

DONATE TO ME
Default Anyone bricked from iMilka's AOSP/CM9?

Entropy recently stated that using any leaked build was dangerous.

I have used every single version of AOSP and CM9 from the beginning to current, jumping between and back and forth from GB many times with no issues.

I have also never SEEN a report of anyone bricking (when properly) flashing around with these roms.

Just curious if a case actually exists.
Chris D.
AT&T | BB Z10
Previously - LG G3, HTC One M8 ,LG G2, Nexus 5, HTC One, BB Z10, Note II, Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 920, ATT GS3, Note N7000, Skyrocket, Infuse 4g, Inspire 4g , Atrix 4g, iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, iPhone, HTC 8525, many dumb-phones.

remixtech
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post

I have used every single version of AOSP and CM9 from the beginning to current, jumping between and back and forth from GB many times with no issues.

I have also never SEEN a report of anyone bricking (when properly) flashing around with these roms.

No but there is a risk. And the question is : "Do you want to take this risk while CM9 is announce next week with a safe kernel".

I was using Imilka Cm9, and yesterday i flashed back to GB. Maybe you could wait one week and avoid flashing a hazardous repack !
Galaxy Note II

martcerv
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I had no issues with Imikas cm9 roms, I used all 3 of them and have since flashed to a stock gingerbread as the video playback in all the ICS roms is not good enough yet compared to GB roms.

I have tried all the ICS leaks and gone back to GB with no issues, just waiting for a proper stable release of ICS with good video playback performance as I get in GB then I will stick with the Ice Cream

crawlgsx
Old
(Last edited by crawlgsx; 28th April 2012 at 02:19 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 268

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by remixtech View Post
No but there is a risk. And the question is : "Do you want to take this risk while CM9 is announce next week with a safe kernel".

I was using Imilka Cm9, and yesterday i flashed back to GB. Maybe you could wait one week and avoid flashing a hazardous repack !
I wasn't stating that there isn't a risk, or that anyone should chance it. Just simply that I have not heard of a single case of anyone having a problem with iMilka's releases (killing the board). Therefore my none developer point of view is that the risk must be VERY small IF said risk does truly exist with all Kernel Leak builds.

It SEEMS to me that the problem does not lie with the kernel build but the way it is scripted and executed. Hence why no one has ever had the problem with AOSP/CM9, but the problem came up with Angelom's kernel and the last Stunner build. The problems were also immediate in both cases, again where no one has ever had this problem caused by AOSP/CM9. So YES, I am sure AOSP/CM9 could have caused the problem if iMilka made whatever mistake was made by Stunner/Angelom, but I would say to me it is quite obvious he did not, and that the problem IS a mistake in the way the kernel is handled. Speculation and opinion only of course.

I have been running them since the beginning, so I am not saying I personally would have chanced it this close to offical ICS / Official CM9, but i've been running his releases for quite some time.
Chris D.
AT&T | BB Z10
Previously - LG G3, HTC One M8 ,LG G2, Nexus 5, HTC One, BB Z10, Note II, Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 920, ATT GS3, Note N7000, Skyrocket, Infuse 4g, Inspire 4g , Atrix 4g, iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, iPhone, HTC 8525, many dumb-phones.

chasmodo
Old
Thanks Meter 39192

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post

Flashed all imilka Roms from day one, and never had as much as a hiccup on any one of them.

jscurtu
Old
Thanks Meter 99

DONATE TO ME
The question is if anyone tried to restore a cwm backup ? The most of the bricks were caused by doing that task..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Repo: https://bitbucket.org/jscurtu

not-i
Old
(Last edited by not-i; 28th April 2012 at 04:23 PM.) Reason: spelling
Thanks Meter 5869

DONATE TO ME
No issues here either with Midnote or TeamMid ROMS (also tried a couple of Alba versions and Stunner).

I have flashed many times and with LP5 kernel through CWMR or Mobile Odin including full wipes.

I have made nandroid backups but haven't tried to restore any, perhaps this has saved me?

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
* Sweet Rom V15 NC2 4.4.2

More of my Roms and Mods

My Facebook

If I helped you please press "Thanks", and if you helped I will do the same

dimcus
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Tried CWM restore twice on ICS (missed reports that it is not recommended). Both times ended with corrupted system partition. But both times fixed this problem by flashing stock ROM with desktop Odin. Had no problems after.

Galaxy Note N7000 (alba19986 XXLTA Middle Final SP1 Odex),
Galaxy Note 8 N5110 (CivZ-FLEX-BEAM-REV2.0 + SphereEngine)
The Following User Says Thank You to dimcus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hav0c
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimcus View Post
Tried CWM restore twice on ICS (missed reports that it is not recommended). Both times ended with corrupted system partition. But both times fixed this problem by flashing stock ROM with desktop Odin. Had no problems after.

Exactly the same here. Unable to format /system partition after restoring.

Odin managed to fix it tho.
--

SONY XPERIA TABLET Z WIFI + LTE 16 GB BLACK @ CM 11
NEXUS 5 @ CM 11
Samsung Galaxy Note III SM-N9005 @ X-NOTE
Samsung Galaxy SIV GT-I9505 @ CM 11
Nexus 7 3G @ CM 11

crawlgsx
Old
(Last edited by crawlgsx; 28th April 2012 at 05:47 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 268

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscurtu View Post
The question is if anyone tried to restore a cwm backup ? The most of the bricks were caused by doing that task..

I have multiple times. CWM Backup restore works sometimes for me ICS to ICS, and fine GB to GB. ICS to GB or GB to ICS causes issues but I can easily fix them with a flash/odin/etc and still have complete access to download mode / CWM. ICS to ICS I have run in to problems such as funky root or partition issues, once again still easily fixable and still have plenty of access to the phone/flash abilities, By no means even close to a brick.

That said at this point in the game I wouldn't even consider doing a CWM restore, why even chance it!
Chris D.
AT&T | BB Z10

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe