5,594,221 Members 45,735 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REF][GUIDE]Another Way to Successfully Flash AOSP/AOKP/CM9 ICS Roms from Gingerbread

Tip us?

KSauzeRK
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklee View Post
Some notes just doesn't seem to work this method, if OP's method doesn't work, just install via Mobile Odin. After you get back to a rooted GB that is. There are a lot o good guide if you are confused. Just google it. I think Op's method if great, it just doesn't work for every note.
Yea I didn't mean to complain, just wanted to make sure I didn't do something obviously wrong for someone more experienced (like using a random root stock GB rom instead of a specific one). I will try the mobile odin way, and thanks to the OP, the easy procedure got me to try ICS and I don't regret it !

Aztec_UK
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks Devs :)

First time I flashed to 1.4.19 and did not get root but funny enough same procedure and flashed to 1.4.26.1 and now have FULL root!!! - awesome rom thanks so much :)

Bobanovicz
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle233 View Post
I think you might be doing something wrong as pointed by chasmodo. I followed his guide when when I had issues with ICS 1.4.25 because I lost root previously by installing 1.4.25 over 1.4.19, and I can attest to the fact that this worked for me and I still have ROOT.

I am currently on 1.4.26 following same procedure beause I wanted a crisp clean install starting from Gingerbread. Please give it a try again following it step by step. Don't forget to post here when you get it to work.
I did step by step this procedure many times, with different prerooted GB ROM but it doesn't work for me. I'm 100% sure, that I didn't miss any step. After flash ICS ROM still have only partial ROOT, SuperSU alows app for ROOT access but app doesn't work, like ROOT explorer with copy to the system folder and flash over CWM doesn't work too.
Eventually I had use ICS-repack and now I have full ROOT.

Aztec_UK
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Ok, I am nuts but wanted to test it re-flashed pre rooted GB ROM... did CF-Root... and then went for ICS 1.4.26.1 and LP6 and I can confirm from GB to this I have full root, I have system mounted as R/W and can edit copy file in here! happy as helll lol! :) full root!! - so happy, thanks devs :)
The Following User Says Thank You to Aztec_UK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zard
Old
Thanks Meter 175
Came from GB to Criskelo ICS V2 LP6 rom about a week ago using the Repack method and was happily trying out the new ICS roms. This afternoon, I was trying out AlBa ZCLP6 Full Repack v3 and lost root.

So I had to get back to GB pre-rooted rom to work up again. This time round, after the Repack and flashing Criskelo ICS V2 LP6, I got stuck on Samsung Logo. Tried at least 5 times and still the same. That's when I came upon this and decided to give it a try.

I'm glad to say that it worked for me. On the other hand, I find it strange that the AbyssNote 42 Red Touch kernel UI doesn't have a return back to the previous menu, or I maybe I couldn't figure out how to do it. So for each of the step, e.g. after factory reset, I had to pull out the battery, insert it back and let it boot up to recovery, do the next step etc. After I finish the last of the recovery step, I got back to CWM recovery, and proceeded to flash my Criskelo rom.

If anyone can share with me what step I had missed to step back in AbyssNote, that would be helpful if I have to revisit this again.

matius44
Old
Thanks Meter 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by zard View Post
Came from GB to Criskelo ICS V2 LP6 rom about a week ago using the Repack method and was happily trying out the new ICS roms. This afternoon, I was trying out AlBa ZCLP6 Full Repack v3 and lost root.

So I had to get back to GB pre-rooted rom to work up again. This time round, after the Repack and flashing Criskelo ICS V2 LP6, I got stuck on Samsung Logo. Tried at least 5 times and still the same. That's when I came upon this and decided to give it a try.

I'm glad to say that it worked for me. On the other hand, I find it strange that the AbyssNote 42 Red Touch kernel UI doesn't have a return back to the previous menu, or I maybe I couldn't figure out how to do it. So for each of the step, e.g. after factory reset, I had to pull out the battery, insert it back and let it boot up to recovery, do the next step etc. After I finish the last of the recovery step, I got back to CWM recovery, and proceeded to flash my Criskelo rom.

If anyone can share with me what step I had missed to step back in AbyssNote, that would be helpful if I have to revisit this again.
Yeah I also got confused first times I tried to used it

But there is a back button in the left bottom corner (IIRC)! However, for it to work you need to press (or touch specifically) on the "up" button and the "down" button which are next to the back button and then it will work!

Weird stuff I know
Thanks a lot chasmodo, great friends are rare these days
The Following User Says Thank You to matius44 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ValenteL
Old
Thanks Meter 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by matius44 View Post
Yeah I also got confused first times I tried to used it

But there is a back button in the left bottom corner (IIRC)! However, for it to work you need to press (or touch specifically) on the "up" button and the "down" button which are next to the back button and then it will work!

Weird stuff I know
This is confused for me also. I use always the Power + Vol Up or Down. It works well. Not confused.
Best Regards (Cumprimentos).
Valente

smalmagal
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I've done a wipe of everything I could...all storage mount points (cache/data/system/emmc/even my sdcard), dalvik cache, and even battery stats. You do not need to be fully rooted on anything to use this method. I can't speak for all ROMs, but I know Stunner and Liquid for example have root built in. So this is as close as it gets for the best and simplest method if you truly want a "clean" install.

Also, I'm under the impression that flashing/wiping from this kernel is 100% safe...even when installing ICS ROMs/coming from ICS ROMs with botched CWM recoveries. Is this a correct assumption?

chasmodo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37512

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalmagal View Post
Also, I'm under the impression that flashing/wiping from this kernel is 100% safe...even when installing ICS ROMs/coming from ICS ROMs with botched CWM recoveries. Is this a correct assumption?
I'd really like to know that as well...Never had a b0rked CWMR myself, so I don't know.

smalmagal
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Same..but with the ICS kernel leaks and CWM implementations on the Note...they've already happened twice. Once with angelom's touch CWM kernel, and once with Stunner's LP5/LP6 kernel. I'll just assume it's "safer."

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe