Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,536 Members 53,724 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Nexus now $399 No Contract

Tip us?

UCFJake
Old
Thanks Meter 19
That's how I've purchased every phone I've owned since the G1. I buy it and pay it off over time, same as subsidizing but without the contract tether. Old Value Plus plan on T-Mo and freedom to switch anytime to any GSM carrier. A tiny APR is better than a contract imo. And waiting to save the money always leads to a better more expensive phone being released driving me to need to save more and more. Rather have the phone for the time I'd be 'saving' and using it for a small finance charge. In the case of the GNex Pay it over 4 months, or wait until August when the S3 will be approaching US release and rumors of the next nexus are already on the way. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

mackster248
Old
Thanks Meter 647

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Memory View Post
I'm buying a Ferrari and living in it so I can pay it off and build up my credit.
A Ferrari is completely different than a phone though, can't compare the two.
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
------------------------------
Current Phone:
T-Mobile LG G2 (D801)

meetagrawal
Old
Thanks Meter 1
There are two types of people in the world. Those who earn interest, and those who pay interest.

Paying interest on an asset which is depreciating heavily is dumb, dumb, and dumb. Not surprised though.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackster248 View Post
As long as you pay it off there's nothing wrong with that. Plus it'll build his credit.
No, that will not build his credit. Building credit is paying your balance in full every month. Credit card companies feast off people who don't pay them off.

r.snyder
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by meetagrawal View Post
There are two types of people in the world. Those who earn interest, and those who pay interest.

Paying interest on an asset which is depreciating heavily is dumb, dumb, and dumb. Not surprised though.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

No, that will not build his credit. Building credit is paying your balance in full every month. Credit card companies feast off people who don't pay them off.
Still better than paying contract plan prices for service.

theking_13
Old
Thanks Meter 1467
Quote:
Exactly! Did you grab one too man? I know you've had the G2x for a while as well.
Next pay check is going straight to it, keeping my 32 GB Class 10 Samsung thought just in case my next phone has an SD slot (hopefully). What about you? This is too good to pass up, its like $550 minimum for CDMA users.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA
Current
HTC One X

White Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

History
HTC G1>Motorola Cliq>HTC Mytouch Slide 3G>Blackberry 8900>LG G-Slate>Samsung Vibrant>LG G2x>Samsung Galaxy Nexus>AT&T HTC One X>AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3>Motorola Xoom>HTC G2>HTC Sensation>Meizu MX>T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3>Motorola Atrix HD>Asus TF101>iPhone 4S>iPhone 5>HTC One S>Samsung Galaxy S2

*If I helped you, hit the Thanks button! *

mackster248
Old
Thanks Meter 647

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by theking_13 View Post
Next pay check is going straight to it, keeping my 32 GB Class 10 Samsung thought just in case my next phone has an SD slot (hopefully). What about you? This is too good to pass up, its like $550 minimum for CDMA users.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA
Ahh, I see. I know I have a 16GB and a 32GB as well that I'll just save. But mine came in today. Already flashed AOKP onto it, it's a damn good phone... The GPU may be outdated but the phone is fast as hell. I thought ICS was kinda fast on the G2x, but it's not even close to this. You'll enjoy it for sure!
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
------------------------------
Current Phone:
T-Mobile LG G2 (D801)

I.R.Chevy
Old
(Last edited by I.R.Chevy; 28th April 2012 at 03:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 193
Everybody cool is jumping ship leaving me with my ****ty g2x all alone....
Gratz on the new phones tho I gotta stop buying new guns and dish out the cash for a new phone soon lol

Edit: There are still lots of cool people in the g2x forum no beef no beef lol

Pin it to Win it.

Pin it to Win it.

kdog1202
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Ill buy one ur g2xs haha

Sent from my LG-E739 using xda premium

moeahmad1995
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Chevy View Post
Gratz on the new phones tho I gotta stop buying new guns and dish out the cash for a new phone soon lol

Pin it to Win it.
Don't worry, I'll stay with you. Off topic but how many guns you got? You can always give them to me if you are in trouble :sly:

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Core Memory
Old
Thanks Meter 730
Quote:
A Ferrari is completely different than a phone though, can't compare the two.
The financial principle is the same, just different things.

There are differences between the people purchasing the cell phone and the Ferrari on credit. Credit enables leveraging net income to live at a much higher level lifestyle than they would if they had to pay cash for everything as long as the monthly payments are sustainable and paid. The ability to use credit to purchase is related to the person's credit worthiness/rating at a particular level of borrowing. A person who can buy a Ferrari on credit can buy any phone for cash but a person who has to or can buy a phone on credit can't necessarily qualify to buy a Ferrari on credit.

There is also a value difference between the two. Both immediately decline in value but of the two, the Ferrari will retain value much better than a cell phone and, if it is maintained in excellent condition, it may even increase in value when it becomes vintage/classic which, if it still owned by the original purchaser, pay back its cost but the cell phone will never be worth more than it originally cost and probably be worth nothing as a cell phone at some point (it may be worth something as scrap).

There's also a status value difference between the cell phone and Ferrari. A lot more people envy the Ferrari owner than the number of people who envy the owner of a particular cell phone. On a date, the Ferrari will impress more than a cell phone and, as a friend of mine who owns a Corvette said, when his date sees his car it usually "seals the deal". If a cell phone "seals the deal" with a "date" that is usually on a different basis. Also, all over the world, huge crowds of people will pay to see Ferraris racing around a track but how many people will pay to watch people using cell phones?

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Chevy View Post

Pin it to Win it.
Your investment in guns can pay off. A gun can get you a new cell phone.