Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,145 Members 45,478 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Screenshot Shortcut?

Tip us?

mjpacheco
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfMoon View Post
Samsung added it in the Galaxy Tab (which surprised me when I found out). On the Galaxy tab if you hold the back button and press the power button you get a screenshot, no root needed.
Correct, it was a Samsung add-on, not in the base OS.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a great thing for google to just throw in there and obviously it is very doable, and I do not know why it is not just part of the OS already.

kenhunt
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpacheco View Post
So when has screen shots ever been built into the OS? Don't know what the big surprise is. Yes it would be nice, but eventually a root and simple software solution will present itself.
Google has added it native in 2.3.3 so it wouldn't surprise me if it comes in a honeycomb update.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt (That means this post never happened right?)

slshults
Old
Thanks Meter 14
The inability to take screenshots without root or the sdk is a known issue to Android users.

The ability was added in Gingerbread. (I'm not allowed to post links yet but go to phandroid.com and search for a post by Kevin Krause on March 1st, 2011 at 7:35 am for details.) Samsung is the only dev to make use of the option so far (afaik) and only on gingerbread devices.

If you want an app that takes screenshots without root or the SDK, the option is there for you to develop such an app if you don't want to wait for someone else to do it.

Oh, and be sure to post a link to your apk for us when you're done. Thanks.

td1320
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpacheco View Post
So when has screen shots ever been built into the OS? Don't know what the big surprise is. Yes it would be nice, but eventually a root and simple software solution will present itself.
The Galaxy Tab has screen capture right out the box. Hold the back button and press the power button and it takes a screen capture and even puts it in the folder named screen capture. Just sayin.

parityodd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
That is one thing Apple did get right on the iPhone and iPad: press and hold the "Home" button at center bottom, then press and release the "power" button on top.

This made it really easy to create documentation at work... Android could have used a combination of one of the volume buttons and the power button. which would come in handy when either creating documentation on how to do something or for instructing users to send a screen shot of an error they are seeing...

my $0.02

nforsans
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Asus eee pad TF has had the screenshot function enabled out of the box. Is that an Asus add-on? I thought it was part of HC...
Phone history: WM HTC Blue Angel > HTC Wizard > HTC TyTN > HTC Diamond > Android HTC Hero > HTC Desire > HTC Desire S - Cyanogenmod 7 rom

Tablet: Xoom wifi 3.2 stock rom

Arun01
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I use screenshot er & it places an icon at the bottom of the screen.Simply tap & voila!

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

nforsans
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun01 View Post
I use screenshot er & it places an icon at the bottom of the screen.Simply tap & voila!

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App
Are you rooted Arun?

And why isn't it available on the XOOM like on the asus TF?
Phone history: WM HTC Blue Angel > HTC Wizard > HTC TyTN > HTC Diamond > Android HTC Hero > HTC Desire > HTC Desire S - Cyanogenmod 7 rom

Tablet: Xoom wifi 3.2 stock rom

nawedakhter
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBalz View Post
Anyone know if there is a shortcut to taking screenshots?

Without having to root and use drocap or shootme. (that's assuming they even work when rooted, which there's been one or two saying it doesn't.)
I did it by holding the power button and then pressing the home button [HTC Explorer]

roman87626
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Xoom Wifi ICS
Screenshot / Power and Vol Down