Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,696 Members 37,528 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AOKP - can't add APN

Tip us?

jojo_whit3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default [Q] AOKP - can't add APN

Hi all. I recently got an Galaxy S2 (SGH-I777) and am using it on Straight Talk (with their AT&T SIM card). I've been testing out a few different ROMs to see which one I like the best. I've tried older GB ROMs like UnNamed and newer ICS ROMs like SHOStock2 and MIUI v4...and they've all worked fine so far. Last night, I wanted to try out AOKP. At the time, Build 4.21.2012 was the latest...I see there's now a Build 34 but I won't be able to try that until after work.

Anyway, I went to Settings > More... > Mobile networks > Access Point Names to add a new APN for Straight Talk service. Usually there's a couple default APNs already there, but my list was blank so I didn't have to delete anything. I then went to Menu > New APN, added the info, and finally hit Menu > Save. However, nothing was added to the list so I can't select an APN afterward. I tried multiple times but the list always stays empty. I tried reflashing the ROM but that didn't make any difference either.

AOKP is the only ROM I'm experiencing this on. I went back and flashed SHOStock2 and could add a new APN without any problems. Whenever I flash a new ROM, I always do...Reset data, Wipe cache, Wipe dalvik cache, and Format /system first.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

jcracken
Old
Thanks Meter 124

DONATE TO ME
Try flashing a new modem first--I've never had this problem with AOKP.
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-i777
Probably using my Nexus 7 right now
AT&T HTC One

HELLO YES WAT IS PHONE
The Following User Says Thank You to jcracken For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

task650
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 47274

DONATE TO ME
I change my apns everytime a flash aokp.
The Following User Says Thank You to task650 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jojo_whit3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Try flashing a new modem first--I've never had this problem with AOKP.
I'll give that a try later. Since this is AOKP, do I have to use one of the Modems For CM7&9/MIUI ROMs from here? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1336958

Quote:
This is my first time ever flashing AOKP, so I assumed I would have to anyway because I reset the data. I tried to add a new APN, but after I save it the list is blank. Since the list is always blank, I can't ever select an APN...its weird.

Do you know where the APN info is stored? I'm curious if it's just like an .xml file that I could then modify using root explorer or something.

mmtrago
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by task650 View Post
question task...i'm starting to get into apn's...why do you change it after you flash a aokp?

jojo_whit3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
I finally got this working....looks like all I had to do was reboot.

So I flashed Build 34 and had the same problem...every time I try to add an APN, nothing shows up in the list. I tried it about 5 times but nothing worked. I rebooted...I meant to go into recovery but accidentally did just a normal reboot. After it loaded up, I checked the APN settings...and sure enough all 5 APNs I added showed up as well as the default AT&T APN.

I'm not sure what happened, but all is working well now.
The Following User Says Thank You to jojo_whit3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nismax
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by task650 View Post
Which is about twice in day.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Phalanx7621
Old
Thanks Meter 2046
The fact that this thread had to be started in the first place is beyond me. I had the same problem OP had, when the rom booted up I had no data connection. No apns listed in apn list. But before posting a question about it or jumping to a conclusion, I rebooted. And of course it worked. Because this forum isnt about hand holding, although we do help each other out and have a great fun time. But in the end, we should all be trying to fix as many of our own problems as we can. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.....teach him to fish.....anyway point is we need to get our own hands dirty peeplz. Don't rely solely on these awesome devs and mods to givez u magic. Go make the magic.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Phones: Samsung Galaxy S II, Motorola Atrix[retired]