Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,501 Members 48,689 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone bricked from iMilka's AOSP/CM9?

Tip us?

empat
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimcus View Post
Tried CWM restore twice on ICS (missed reports that it is not recommended). Both times ended with corrupted system partition. But both times fixed this problem by flashing stock ROM with desktop Odin. Had no problems after.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
Just to report, I experienced exactly the same.

Regards!

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N79005
ROM [XXUBMI7] Omega v2.2

chill392
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimcus View Post
Tried CWM restore twice on ICS (missed reports that it is not recommended). Both times ended with corrupted system partition. But both times fixed this problem by flashing stock ROM with desktop Odin. Had no problems after.

Which kernel were you on?

dimcus
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill392 View Post
Which kernel were you on?
The first leaked one - LP1.

Galaxy Note N7000 (alba19986 XXLTA Middle Final SP1 Odex),
Galaxy Note 8 N5110 (CivZ-FLEX-BEAM-REV2.0 + SphereEngine)

afilopou
Old
Thanks Meter 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscurtu View Post
The question is if anyone tried to restore a cwm backup ? The most of the bricks were caused by doing that task..

I think you are wrong.Bricks caused when trying to format /system

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24110

DONATE TO ME
Bricks were caused by anything that tried to wipe a partition - and restoring a nandroid will first wipe a partition.

What kernel is imilka's a repack of? Maybe it's an unaffected one. I recall seeing stuff in imilka's thread saying not to use its CWM.

Without source for the leak kernels it's impossible to tell what's changed and declare one kernel "safe" and another "dangerous" - as long as some are proven dangerous they should all be considered dangerous.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jscurtu
Old
Thanks Meter 99

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by afilopou View Post
I think you are wrong.Bricks caused when trying to format /system

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
When restoring a backup , you usually format /system ; )...so basically yes that is correct, I only mentioned that it mostly happened while doing that task..

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Repo: https://bitbucket.org/jscurtu
The Following User Says Thank You to jscurtu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crawlgsx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 268

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
What kernel is imilka's a repack of? Maybe it's an unaffected one. I recall seeing stuff in imilka's thread saying not to use its CWM.

Without source for the leak kernels it's impossible to tell what's changed and declare one kernel "safe" and another "dangerous" - as long as some are proven dangerous they should all be considered dangerous.
It was multiple different kernels, up to LP5 and LP6 even.

I understand the logic and respect your words of caution with what is most certainly from someone who has a much better understanding than I, I just feel it is the way the kernel was used/modified/implemented that caused the potential problems (by the devs), not the kernel itself. Based on the logic I provided earlier in the thread. I am not saying the problem still does not exist in the kernel, I have no idea, but it is obviously something that did not come out in many rom implementations, just those 2.
Chris D.
AT&T | BB Z10
Previously - LG G3, HTC One M8 ,LG G2, Nexus 5, HTC One, BB Z10, Note II, Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 920, ATT GS3, Note N7000, Skyrocket, Infuse 4g, Inspire 4g , Atrix 4g, iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, iPhone, HTC 8525, many dumb-phones.

anonymous572
Old
Thanks Meter 427
Flashed all roms from maxicet and some repack stock ICS roms. Never got any problems. Tested over 10 ICS roms... And now using maxicet's ROM as daily.
Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100
Android 4.1.2

ROM: N7100XXDLK7 Kernel: 3.0.87-N.E.A.K.2.1x 27jul

CWM6, Root, Deodex, Zipalign, LCD destiny 240dpi, DocRambone's camera sound remover, CameraMOD v8 by jobnik, Megabassbeats v2, MultiWindow Unlimited apps & Transparent mod, Sony Bravia Engine
Removed samsung apps, touchwiz and almost all google system apps (including google play and all synchronization services)

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24110

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post
It was multiple different kernels, up to LP5 and LP6 even.

I understand the logic and respect your words of caution with what is most certainly from someone who has a much better understanding than I, I just feel it is the way the kernel was used/modified/implemented that caused the potential problems (by the devs), not the kernel itself. Based on the logic I provided earlier in the thread. I am not saying the problem still does not exist in the kernel, I have no idea, but it is obviously something that did not come out in many rom implementations, just those 2.
The thing is, this has happened over multiple devices, with multiple recovery implementations, including recovery implementations that work fine with other kernel bases. The end result is the same - fried eMMC that can't even be recovered with JTAG.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

crawlgsx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 268

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
The thing is, this has happened over multiple devices, with multiple recovery implementations, including recovery implementations that work fine with other kernel bases. The end result is the same - fried eMMC that can't even be recovered with JTAG.
Agreed, very bad.

All I am saying is that it ONLY happened on those 2 botched kernel implementations. It is obviously SOMETHING the Dev's did with the kernel that caused this, seeing how ALL the other roms/versions clearly have not caused this. Since the result was immediate with both of those and many of us have jumped/cwm'ed/etc from MANY different Leaked kernel builds and NOT had that problem.

I am not trying to put them at blame, running any rom/dev is strictly at your own responsibility and risk, just stating that I don't think it is fair to place every leaked rom build in the same category of danger. Is there a risk, certainly, as the dev's could accidentally make said same mistake (I am not even clear if "we" know what causes it?) in a future version. That said I feel pretty confident that if the "final" versions of iMilka's roms were going to cause that issue, it would've happened by now. That is why I wanted to see if anyone had ever been bricked (fried eMMC) from them, and it seems, no.
Chris D.
AT&T | BB Z10
Previously - LG G3, HTC One M8 ,LG G2, Nexus 5, HTC One, BB Z10, Note II, Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 920, ATT GS3, Note N7000, Skyrocket, Infuse 4g, Inspire 4g , Atrix 4g, iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, iPhone, HTC 8525, many dumb-phones.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe