FORUMS

New Xposed for Lollipop 5.0 Update Fixes Major Bugs

Senior Recognized Developer rovo89 has patched Xposed for Lollipop 5.0 to … more

Download Sony’s new AOSP-like concept for Xperia Z3

Over in our forums, Recognized Contributor Jozinek has posted a very … more

OnePlus 2 vs Moto X Style: Which is The Better Flagship?

Two big industry names have announced their newest flagship phones within the … more

Making Your Own Xposed Modules Is Easier Than You Think

Close to the heart of XDA is the Xposed Framework by Rovo89. Most of … more

Anyone bricked from iMilka's AOSP/CM9?

1,527 posts
Thanks Meter: 291
 
By crawlgsx, Senior Member on 28th April 2012, 12:39 PM
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
28th April 2012, 06:21 PM |#11  
empat's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag São Paulo
Thanks Meter: 32
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimcus

Tried CWM restore twice on ICS (missed reports that it is not recommended). Both times ended with corrupted system partition. But both times fixed this problem by flashing stock ROM with desktop Odin. Had no problems after.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Just to report, I experienced exactly the same.

Regards!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
 
 
28th April 2012, 06:38 PM |#12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 47
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimcus

Tried CWM restore twice on ICS (missed reports that it is not recommended). Both times ended with corrupted system partition. But both times fixed this problem by flashing stock ROM with desktop Odin. Had no problems after.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Which kernel were you on?
28th April 2012, 08:32 PM |#13  
dimcus's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag St.Petersburg
Thanks Meter: 51
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill392

Which kernel were you on?

The first leaked one - LP1.
28th April 2012, 08:48 PM |#14  
afilopou's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 497
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscurtu

The question is if anyone tried to restore a cwm backup ? The most of the bricks were caused by doing that task..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

I think you are wrong.Bricks caused when trying to format /system

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
28th April 2012, 09:28 PM |#15  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,325
 
Donate to Me
More
Bricks were caused by anything that tried to wipe a partition - and restoring a nandroid will first wipe a partition.

What kernel is imilka's a repack of? Maybe it's an unaffected one. I recall seeing stuff in imilka's thread saying not to use its CWM.

Without source for the leak kernels it's impossible to tell what's changed and declare one kernel "safe" and another "dangerous" - as long as some are proven dangerous they should all be considered dangerous.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2012, 09:30 PM |#16  
jscurtu's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Saarbrücken
Thanks Meter: 99
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by afilopou

I think you are wrong.Bricks caused when trying to format /system

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

When restoring a backup , you usually format /system ; )...so basically yes that is correct, I only mentioned that it mostly happened while doing that task..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to jscurtu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2012, 09:36 PM |#17  
crawlgsx's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Maine, USA
Thanks Meter: 291
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

What kernel is imilka's a repack of? Maybe it's an unaffected one. I recall seeing stuff in imilka's thread saying not to use its CWM.

Without source for the leak kernels it's impossible to tell what's changed and declare one kernel "safe" and another "dangerous" - as long as some are proven dangerous they should all be considered dangerous.

It was multiple different kernels, up to LP5 and LP6 even.

I understand the logic and respect your words of caution with what is most certainly from someone who has a much better understanding than I, I just feel it is the way the kernel was used/modified/implemented that caused the potential problems (by the devs), not the kernel itself. Based on the logic I provided earlier in the thread. I am not saying the problem still does not exist in the kernel, I have no idea, but it is obviously something that did not come out in many rom implementations, just those 2.
28th April 2012, 09:48 PM |#18  
anonymous572's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mstislavl
Thanks Meter: 430
 
More
Flashed all roms from maxicet and some repack stock ICS roms. Never got any problems. Tested over 10 ICS roms... And now using maxicet's ROM as daily.
28th April 2012, 11:42 PM |#19  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,325
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx

It was multiple different kernels, up to LP5 and LP6 even.

I understand the logic and respect your words of caution with what is most certainly from someone who has a much better understanding than I, I just feel it is the way the kernel was used/modified/implemented that caused the potential problems (by the devs), not the kernel itself. Based on the logic I provided earlier in the thread. I am not saying the problem still does not exist in the kernel, I have no idea, but it is obviously something that did not come out in many rom implementations, just those 2.

The thing is, this has happened over multiple devices, with multiple recovery implementations, including recovery implementations that work fine with other kernel bases. The end result is the same - fried eMMC that can't even be recovered with JTAG.
29th April 2012, 03:26 AM |#20  
crawlgsx's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Maine, USA
Thanks Meter: 291
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

The thing is, this has happened over multiple devices, with multiple recovery implementations, including recovery implementations that work fine with other kernel bases. The end result is the same - fried eMMC that can't even be recovered with JTAG.

Agreed, very bad.

All I am saying is that it ONLY happened on those 2 botched kernel implementations. It is obviously SOMETHING the Dev's did with the kernel that caused this, seeing how ALL the other roms/versions clearly have not caused this. Since the result was immediate with both of those and many of us have jumped/cwm'ed/etc from MANY different Leaked kernel builds and NOT had that problem.

I am not trying to put them at blame, running any rom/dev is strictly at your own responsibility and risk, just stating that I don't think it is fair to place every leaked rom build in the same category of danger. Is there a risk, certainly, as the dev's could accidentally make said same mistake (I am not even clear if "we" know what causes it?) in a future version. That said I feel pretty confident that if the "final" versions of iMilka's roms were going to cause that issue, it would've happened by now. That is why I wanted to see if anyone had ever been bricked (fried eMMC) from them, and it seems, no.
29th April 2012, 06:47 AM |#21  
jscurtu's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Saarbrücken
Thanks Meter: 99
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx

Agreed, very bad.

All I am saying is that it ONLY happened on those 2 botched kernel implementations. It is obviously SOMETHING the Dev's did with the kernel that caused this, seeing how ALL the other roms/versions clearly have not caused this. Since the result was immediate with both of those and many of us have jumped/cwm'ed/etc from MANY different Leaked kernel builds and NOT had that problem.

I am not trying to put them at blame, running any rom/dev is strictly at your own responsibility and risk, just stating that I don't think it is fair to place every leaked rom build in the same category of danger. Is there a risk, certainly, as the dev's could accidentally make said same mistake (I am not even clear if "we" know what causes it?) in a future version. That said I feel pretty confident that if the "final" versions of iMilka's roms were going to cause that issue, it would've happened by now. That is why I wanted to see if anyone had ever been bricked (fried eMMC) from them, and it seems, no.

Its nothing the dev did, it is more the nature of a binary only kernel and probably one of the options enabled/disabled which we will never know for 100% as it is a binary kernel. No sourcecode! Just avoid the leaked kernels and that's it. Entropy had mentioned what he think it could be, but no need to blame it on a dev now.
If you flash it, its all ways your own fault ;)..
Binary kernels from a different device are always considered dirty hacks and dangerous (period) as there is simply no control over them. The dev didn't choose the kernel settings, right? But you choosed to flash..



Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Read More
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes