Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,344 Members 53,810 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CyanogenMod 7 for Captivate Q&A

Tip us?

korockinout13
Old
Thanks Meter 532

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalda01 View Post
It was mentioned in another post that Nexus S modems are compatible with I897.
What's the advantage of those modems over native Captivate modems ?

This is the thread about the Nexus modems:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1493225
I've been testing them out lately, with bad luck. They don't seem to work for everyone. Also, they don't have 850 band, which is important to many, but some have reported getting exceptional service. Data speeds are okay but not the best it seems. However, people say the sound quality is great, but I didn't really notice much in a side to side comparison.

So try at your own risk.

Sent from my CM9 ICS i897 Captivate
Nexus 5 16GB on T-Mobile: CM11 + TWRP || Nexus 7 2012 32GB: Stock 4.4 + Xposed + franco + TWRP
Nexus 4 (cracked & sold) | AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII i777 (sold) | AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897 (sold)

Get extra space on Copy or Dropbox with a new account!

kalda01
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by korockinout13 View Post
I've been testing them out lately, with bad luck. They don't seem to work for everyone. Also, they don't have 850 band, which is important to many, but some have reported getting exceptional service. Data speeds are okay but not the best it seems. However, people say the sound quality is great, but I didn't really notice much in a side to side comparison.

So try at your own risk.

I don't need band 850 so I think I'll try out those modems.

korockinout13
Old
Thanks Meter 532

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I don't need band 850 so I think I'll try out those modems.
Flash while unplugged. If it doesn't work, wipe cache and try again

Nexus 5 16GB on T-Mobile: CM11 + TWRP || Nexus 7 2012 32GB: Stock 4.4 + Xposed + franco + TWRP
Nexus 4 (cracked & sold) | AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII i777 (sold) | AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897 (sold)

GravityBoots
Old
(Last edited by GravityBoots; 22nd April 2012 at 04:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Here's my problem, I keep all my music on the external sd card and for some reason my captivate keeps randomly adding multiple versions of the same files everytime I pull up a directory, however there's only one version on the SD card, and it always just skips over the seemingly blank versions when I actually select a file.

Is there any file I need to wipe in order to fix this?

macr0t0r
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Well, what do we have here? Are they starting up CM7 nightlies for our Captivates again?
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?typ...e=captivatemtd

There is a CM7 nightly posted on 21Apr2012. Direct link:
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/...mtd-signed.zip

I may have to try it out!

- Jim

kalda01
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Flash while unplugged. If it doesn't work, wipe cache and try again

KF1 caused many calls to disconnect.
What modem would work well for a carrier that utilizes 1800 band in GSM and 2100 in 3G ?

korockinout13
Old
Thanks Meter 532

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
KF1 caused many calls to disconnect.
What modem would work well for a carrier that utilizes 1800 band in GSM and 2100 in 3G ?
I'm not surprised, I wouldn't expect those modems to work. Any modem should work fine. It's a matter of trial and error

Sent from my ICS Samsung Captivate

kalda01
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
I'm not surprised, I wouldn't expect those modems to work. Any modem should work fine. It's a matter of trial and error

A few of the modem I've tried cause the sound quality on the other end of the call to sound like I'm calling from a cave. Why is that happening ?
It is not clear to me if some of the modems are pre-set to utilize only certain frequencies and not ANY frequency supported by the hardware.
Is it possible that a modem was created for a specific carrier and thus only supports the frequencies used by that carrier?
Is there an app or any other way to check what GSM & 3G bands are actually being used by the modem in real time ?

korockinout13
Old
Thanks Meter 532

DONATE TO ME
Some modems just don't sound very good, I think it's just that sure of them don't really do well with the audio hardware, or different bands are being used. They probably are carrier designed, but many carriers share the same frequencies. A modem from a different carrier could even work better for you. You can monitor/change the frequencies by using service mode. It should be *#*#0011#*#* to view current status, and *#*#2263#*#* for band selection

kalda01
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Some modems just don't sound very good, I think it's just that sure of them don't really do well with the audio hardware, or different bands are being used. They probably are carrier designed, but many carriers share the same frequencies. A modem from a different carrier could even work better for you. You can monitor/change the frequencies by using service mode. It should be *#*#0011#*#* to view current status, and *#*#2263#*#* for band selection

I'm not sure the service mode is supported by CM7 or is it modem specific ?
Back in Froyo days I had a I9000 based rom where service mode did work.
Now with CM7 none of the modems seem to support service mode.

Tags
2.3.4, captivate, cyanogen, cyanogenmod, gingerbread