modifying system APK's for the atrix?

OP gitman0

28th April 2012, 10:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

43 posts
More
hey all, i'm starting to get into modding my atrix and i have some questions about modifying the system APK's. i've already deodexed /system/app and /system/framework with xUltimate. i'm using APK Manager in linux to decompile the APK's that i want to mod.

the problem comes when i compile the new APK and upload it to /system/app. the stock APK's are signed seemingly with a specific signature that the phone is looking for. APK Manager says to not sign the APK's that you intend to install to /system, but if you do choose to sign it, the certs that are used are not what the atrix is expecting. when i look for errors in logcat, its indicating that the package changed and that its trying to look for the matching cert within /data/secure.

how does one modify these system APK's, and keep the original signature intact? it looks like the manifest contains a sha1-digest signature of each file, which makes just copying/pasting the META-INF into the new APK not an option.

thanks in advance!
28th April 2012, 11:39 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 220

478 posts
Donate to Me
More
What I do is decompile to change xml's etc and then recompile without signing and then just drag the edited files from the new APK to the old one.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA
29th April 2012, 06:04 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

43 posts
More
so does that mean it doesn't really matter that the sha1 signatures of the changed files dont get updated in the manifest?

is there not an agreed-upon method to do this that doesn't seem so "hacky" ?

29th April 2012, 07:06 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 220

478 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm not sure mate. That's the way I found out how to do it and I've done translations and a few themes and framework-res systemui and settings have worked fine doing it the way I do it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread