Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more
Thread Closed

Update coming soon...

28th April 2012, 05:18 AM   |  #11  
Senior Member
Flag Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 82
 
477 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnecktie

A 61 mb update to ics.... Sounds sketchy to me.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Yeah no crap dude, it's NOT the ICS update... it's just another Gingerbread maintenance release.
28th April 2012, 05:21 AM   |  #12  
elijahtan's Avatar
Senior Member
Singapore
Thanks Meter: 8
 
120 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Seriously hate the fact that ics has been delayed so heavily

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA
28th April 2012, 06:07 AM   |  #13  
orkillakilla's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tennessee
Thanks Meter: 215
 
1,465 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahtan

Seriously hate the fact that ics has been delayed so heavily

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

What do you mean delayed heavily? It was announced not too long ago, and given no eta, so how can it be delayed?

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium
28th April 2012, 04:23 PM   |  #14  
DaRkL3AD3R's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 228
 
745 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Imho, anytime a phone 1 year old or less has to wait 6+ months for a new Android OS upgrade, the OEM is failing to live up to Google and more importantly, the customers, standards.

The number of casual users who won't even recognize the fact that their phone upgraded from 2.3 to 4.0 is the number two reason these companies don't push hard to keep their phones up to date. With the number one reason being money. It's more profitable to lock out 1 year old phones from staying up to date, making that new device running the new version of Android more enticing and a possible sale from people who fall for gimmicky sales tactics.

Realistically Google wants every phone to be on ICS right now. At least, any phone that has the hardware to run it. Which in all honesty, is any mid range phone from 2010 and up. Certainly a flagship 2011 phone should be quite capable of running ICS, don't you think? So whats the only other possible explanation? See paragraph 2 and it'll be easily understood.
29th April 2012, 12:03 AM   |  #15  
dizzyman1180's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
159 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R

Imho, anytime a phone 1 year old or less has to wait 6+ months for a new Android OS upgrade, the OEM is failing to live up to Google and more importantly, the customers, standards.

The number of casual users who won't even recognize the fact that their phone upgraded from 2.3 to 4.0 is the number two reason these companies don't push hard to keep their phones up to date. With the number one reason being money. It's more profitable to lock out 1 year old phones from staying up to date, making that new device running the new version of Android more enticing and a possible sale from people who fall for gimmicky sales tactics.

Realistically Google wants every phone to be on ICS right now. At least, any phone that has the hardware to run it. Which in all honesty, is any mid range phone from 2010 and up. Certainly a flagship 2011 phone should be quite capable of running ICS, don't you think? So whats the only other possible explanation? See paragraph 2 and it'll be easily understood.

+1 money, money, money

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium
29th April 2012, 03:34 AM   |  #16  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 83
 
613 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
While is sucks that it takes so long to get an ICS update (even though I sold my Thunderbolt and got a Bionic...not that it will get official ICS any sooner), I do understand where the OEMs (and the carriers) are coming from...there's really no money in updating obsolete phones.
29th April 2012, 03:48 AM   |  #17  
tburns's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Vegas
Thanks Meter: 46
 
322 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Sorry I didn't post a link, my bad. Saw the tweet I got and was in a rush. Wish it was ICS update :S...

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA
29th April 2012, 09:36 PM   |  #18  
xs11e's Avatar
Senior Member
Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 103
 
639 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
It's really nothing to get excited about, I unrooted, flashed back to stock, installed the leaked update and found...... nothing but a few bug fixes, etc. It had no effect on my use of my T'bolt which is now re-rooted and back to running Thunderstick Bareback which works for me and may or may not work for you.
29th April 2012, 10:15 PM   |  #19  
icedventimocha's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Flag Erie
Thanks Meter: 3,062
 
2,172 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandogg

While is sucks that it takes so long to get an ICS update (even though I sold my Thunderbolt and got a Bionic...not that it will get official ICS any sooner), I do understand where the OEMs (and the carriers) are coming from...there's really no money in updating obsolete phones.



ummmmm....our phones are obsolete????? Just because phones came out after ours doesn't mean it's obsolete. In fact any other phone on Verizon right now (as far as specs, not release date) is a downgrade.
30th April 2012, 12:17 AM   |  #20  
xs11e's Avatar
Senior Member
Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 103
 
639 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
At the current rate of new phone introduction "Hopelessly Obsolete" means any phone that's been out a week!

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes