16th April 2012, 11:17 PM   |  #11  
Flag Mt. Juliet, TN
Thanks Meter: 1,119

1,150 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxcid

That means nothing. I flash TOT's all the time and never loose settings or apps.

As for MT developing a root process for this phone, while I appreciate all the work he has put into this phone and his skill set, what he does and what root exploiters do are two entirely different things. MT is just gracious enough to create easy to use AIO scripts for everyone to use. I do not see a new root process coming unless another exploit is found and works on this phone.

If I am incorrect about this then MT can feel free to correct me.

+1 For root all I have found is the exploit for keeping root through the update. As for writing a fresh exploit, there are a couple of guys that specialize in it. Jcase and djrbliss are 2 of the best around. The only problem I see is that zv8 has 0 access to the data partition without root, and so what other partitions are blocked. That is why the spectrum version does not work right off of the bat.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtmichaelson For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 03:45 AM   |  #12  
OP Senior Member
Flag Huntsville AL
Thanks Meter: 41

142 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxcid

That means nothing. I flash TOT's all the time and never loose settings or apps.

As for MT developing a root process for this phone, while I appreciate all the work he has put into this phone and his skill set, what he does and what root exploiters do are two entirely different things. MT is just gracious enough to create easy to use AIO scripts for everyone to use. I do not see a new root process coming unless another exploit is found and works on this phone.

If I am incorrect about this then MT can feel free to correct me.

nevermind, just had to push cwm through adb still don't know why aio zv8 failed oh well im good now, and mt thanks for debloating and debingin. lovin broken out
Last edited by HighLimit; 18th April 2012 at 10:35 AM.
19th April 2012, 06:18 PM   |  #13  
Flag Starlight, Indiana
Thanks Meter: 2

10 posts
More
Exclamation Well I THINK I have found WHY I cant OTA ZV8
OK. I have found somthing interesting. I have 2 Revos. BOTH are now in test mode for reasons I am to embarrased to go into. (dang Noob screwups)

ANYWAY I was playing around in LGNPST last night and discovered the Warranty Date (assuming Expiration) on one phone was 4/4/12 Ironicly the same day I unbricked it using the Phonebook emergency recovery. (what puts the the phone in test mode. )

BOTH phones are flagged in my Verizon account (VZW online) as NON VZW Phones. (even though they originally were)

I am starting to think that when you do an emergency recovery you flag not only test mode but the warranty date & some Verizon flag as well. So while the phone is functional ALL Verizon support goes Bye Bye (I.E. OTA updates) EVEN if you flash back to Stock. I know that none of my old Not so smart phones will update past the Warranty date, I suspect this might be somthing similar.

Can anyone VERIFY this? I can SEE the potential problem but my skills stop there. (for now.) Can anyone tell me how I might be able to dig deeper?

I'd be happy with a rooted ZV8, let alone broken out, at this time.
Last edited by scrapbox119; 19th April 2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Added line
19th April 2012, 07:04 PM   |  #14  
OP Senior Member
Flag Huntsville AL

142 posts
Donate to Me
More
I dont think anyone has figured a way around test mode yet except flashing back to zv4.

If it doesn't boot after flashing .tot:
1. Pull Battery and replace
2. push power and down until you get option to wipe
3. press power to confirm and reboot.

you will be stuck in zv4 and any flashing forward after that will put you back in test mode but at least you will be able to use your phone like normal until someone figures this out, but from what I read it appears improbable.
19th April 2012, 09:18 PM   |  #15  
Flag Starlight, Indiana
Thanks Meter: 2

10 posts
More
Yeah not looking good. Test mode I can live with it's the other issues thats killing me.

Sent from my Gingervolt'ed Revolution using the XDA app.
22nd April 2012, 08:44 AM   |  #16  
Flag FG
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
More
I would like to see this happen but i am poor lol. Well i wouldnt mind sticking around for a root for V8 i dont mind waiting its just i dont want to downgrade and loose everything on my phone. I would not mind being a beta tester either for it I would just like to root my damn phone.
23rd April 2012, 02:02 AM   |  #17  
OP Senior Member
Flag Huntsville AL

142 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch4d

I would like to see this happen but i am poor lol. Well i wouldnt mind sticking around for a root for V8 i dont mind waiting its just i dont want to downgrade and loose everything on my phone. I would not mind being a beta tester either for it I would just like to root my damn phone.

If you downgrade to Zv7 so you can root install cwm and eventually get to rooted Zv8 you will not lose anything on your phone if you do it correctly.

Just Flash the Zv7 Tot and use mt's AIO method, (stopping short of broken out)
if done correctly you will lose nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to HighLimit For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th April 2012, 01:05 AM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Google LG_Esteem_root_v2_windows

Sent from my LG-MS910 using XDA

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread