5,593,793 Members 44,795 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nook ST Glowlight - ready to root?

Tip us?

orbitaladmin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nook ST Glowlight - ready to root?

Walked in B&N today to upgrade to a NST to root knowing that I wouldn't be tempted by the Glowlight versions out May 7th but the B&N Nook guy said, "hey we already have them and a couple of people cancelled their pre-orders, do you want one?"

I couldn't resist and brought it home.

so far I have found no one trying to root a NST-GL yet so here are my observations (but not a review) about the new 1.1.5 firmware on it and the Glowlight hardware after a couple of hours.

the basic menu now has a Glowlight item on the basic "n" press menu which brings up the brightness slider. there is also a little lightbulb always there in the top taskbar next to the wifi icon which shows on/off. I am hoping these are only additional programs and updated menu that wouldn't be affected by root.

press and hold for 2 seconds and toggle the light on/off as reviews have said. it really seems like a hardware function as it works even with the screen locked (but not asleep). I am not ready to try Nooter on it because of this special "n" function and wonder if it would work with the current version of NookColor Tools to get to the adw launcher.

also, just letting everybody know these are in stores already if someone wants to be first to root.

David Suthers
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Just attempted to touchnooter the NST Glow. No luck. Here is what happened...
  1. Downloaded Touchnooter-2-1-31
  2. Used WinImage to create the microSD boot "disc"
  3. Powered off Nook and inserted microSD card
  4. Powered Nook on, showed Touchnooter instructions on boot (black flash, remove, reboot, etc.)
  5. Removed microSD and rebooted
  6. Came up to normal "Nook - Read Forever" initial boot screen
  7. Displayed "Nook" boot screen (the one with 5 dots)
  8. Counted through the dots a few times, sorry I didn't get the exact count
  9. Glow light comes on and stays on
  10. Screen will flash black and it will count 3 dots, then flash again and repeat

I let the unit stay on this "stuck loop" for several minutes (at least 10) and nothing changed.

I ended up doing the 8 failed boots restore and the unit is functional again, and "unrooted", so I didn't brick it. But it looks like there is a little work that needs to be done to root the NST Glow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Suthers For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chefchuck
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Thanks for the update David... I'm anxiously awaiting a new nooter
The Following User Says Thank You to chefchuck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 697
All those "Super Nooters" bash jars.
Jars are version dependent.
The Nook Glow is using 1.1.5 not 1.1.2

Try plain Noogie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Renate NST For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GabrialDestruir
Old
Thanks Meter 503
Noogie will most likely work just fine, I don't actually have a nook with Glow Light so I can't do any development toward rooting it, I can't imagine a lot has changed, so you can probably replace the correct jar files mentioned above with modified ones and it'd work. I'll see if I can get my hands on one of the new devices in the next few weeks.
Nexus 4 - Paranoid Android
Nexus 7 - Stock Rooted
Nook Glow - Stock

orbitaladmin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
thanks for charging forward on this...

SCWells72
Old
Thanks Meter 79
I'm curious about this as well. I have a rooted Nook Color that, since getting a TouchPad, I only use as an eReader for stuff from B&N and Amazon. I'm considering selling it and getting a Simple Touch Glowlight for my eReader duties but would like to be able to use Kindle Reader on it as well as the Nook app. I'll be watching this thread to see if/when folks get it rooted.

Praeluceo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default NSTG 1.1.5

I also am interested in rooting the Glowlight, my wife got one for her birthday and wants to load a couple of apps on it. I'm tempted to try Noogie, but I can't risk bricking her device. Is there a reliable path for restoring a NST if rooting via Noogie fails?

zholy
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praeluceo View Post
... but I can't risk bricking her device. Is there a reliable path for restoring a NST if rooting via Noogie fails?
If you apply Noogie and made a backup of your Nook - then you have a copy and you didn't touch or modify anything on your nook. Once having a backup, you should be fine. Read the thread related to this (backup) and WATCH out for the size of your backup image !!!
I think, that I would go or the MinimalTouch rooting method (once I place my hands on this new one )

DeanGibson
Old
(Last edited by DeanGibson; 7th December 2012 at 02:58 AM.) Reason: Changed download URL
Thanks Meter 210

DONATE TO ME
Exclamation B&N v1.1.5 uRamdisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST View Post
The Nook Glow is using 1.1.5 not 1.1.2

Try plain Noogie.
When I used Noogie to root my Nook Touches, the accompanying thread (which I will find in a few moments) said to just replace the default boot uRamdisk with one of two possibilities: one for USB ADB access, and one for WiFi access. That worked fine on my Nook Touches !!

Using the same uRamdisk for my Nook Glow disabled the GlowLight, but allowed the extraction of "factory.zip":

http://www.mailpen.com/download/bnFi...ory-v1.1.5.zip (108MB)

Hopefully it can be "patched" to provide uRamdisks for USB and WiFi access (I prefer the latter).
Please do not send me private requests; I generally ignore them.
Public requests allow others to help with or learn from the answers.

The Following User Says Thank You to DeanGibson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]