XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] low space?

Tip us?

Kingakapadia
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] low space?

Hi, i have a samsung focus (original) and on ZUNE is says i have 100mb free space, but in the info section of the phone it says i have 800mbs. When i deploy alot of xap files and noticed ZUNE calculates that each xap uses more space then the acutal XAP size. I used the microsoft XAP deployer. Is there a way to fix this issue and make it so zune recognized the full amount of free space i have left?

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
Several things:

Zune reports the amount of space left for it to sync files into. This is typically less than the actual free space remaining on the phone, because some space is reserved.

You can turn down the amount of reserved space in the Settings -> Phone view in Zune. Reducing this reserved space will allow you to sync more content, at the risk of the phone running out of space due to you doing something like downloading a big app. It sounds like you've got about 700-ish MB reserved right now, which is probably 5% (of the 14-odd GB left of a 16GB storage chip minus the ROM image). I have it set to 3% on my phone.

XAP files are ZIP archives; the files inside are compressed. This means that the download size is pretty much always smaller than the install size. Additionally, when you run the app, additional space will be claimed by the app for storage. You can see the current storage footprint of each app using the AppSiege app (in the dev&hacking sub-forum).
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

Kingakapadia
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks, thats helped me find some files with a lot of memory used. But after removing several apps the difference between Zune and the WP7 free space is sitll just over 500mb liek before. I noticed when i deploy a larger xap, and uninstall it right after, that Zune seems to lower the memory. For example i install 100mb xap, it would use 120 mb in zune, and when i uninstall it, i would be 20mb less then when i originally started, but the WP7 info says its the same as when its started.