Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,832 Members 50,885 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to use DD on windows?

Tip us?

wardoc22
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
dd if=./os-new.nb of=/dev/sdX9

if the phone shows up as /dev/sdb3 on ubuntu, do I do

dd if=<path to the .nb>/os-new.nb of=/dev/sdb3?

sHaHiN786
Old
Thanks Meter 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardoc22 View Post

if the phone shows up as /dev/sdb3 on ubuntu, do I do

dd if=<path to the .nb>/os-new.nb of=/dev/sdb3?
Where X is the disk detected by your linux distribution.
After that, you'll need to hard reset the phone. Hold Power button for 10 seconds to exit Qualcomm's disk mode, and press and hold POWER+VOLUMEDOWN+CAMERA until you feel the phone vibrate. After that, RELEASE power button but KEEP HOLDING volume down + camera for five or more seconds. This will trigger the hard reset.
HTC One (M8) - Gunmetal Brushed Grey

Don't forget to slap that 'thanks' button if I've been of help.

wardoc22
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sHaHiN786 View Post
After that, you'll need to hard reset the phone. Hold Power button for 10 seconds to exit Qualcomm's disk mode, and press and hold POWER+VOLUMEDOWN+CAMERA until you feel the phone vibrate. After that, RELEASE power button but KEEP HOLDING volume down + camera for five or more seconds. This will trigger the hard reset.
dd if=/home/david/os-new.nb of=/dev/sdb9

I already did dd if=/home/david/os-new.nb of=/dev/sdb3

Well, I screwed up =\

Now it gets recognized in windows as qualcomm device, but it won't show up in ubuntu.

I made a full backup of it though.. You got any ideas?

Anyways in the end, I phoned tmobile up, they said they will send me a new one. I will be retrying this when I get that new lumia

Konner920
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Refrain from use of Windows to unlock bootloader, most likely to brick your device, use Linux, if you don't have it, don't try it. You have been warned.
^ I tried it the other day, and it bricked. LOOOL. I recommend listening to this guy. I ended up having to get a replacement device, luckily came the next day. attempted again except used Wubi for ubuntu, and it worked fine. i got the interop unlocked tango for the lumia 710
Too many phones to list.

Current device: Moto G

djtonka
Old
Thanks Meter 251
Quote:
Lumia 710 does not support SW by pressing POWER button!
Nokia Lumia 710 with WindowsMania v9 ROM
Nokia Lumia 820 still untouched
Samsung GT-i8750 after Interop
Huawei Ascend W1 and bit of freedom, unlocked bootloader so far

ChrisKringel
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardoc22 View Post
dd if=/home/david/os-new.nb of=/dev/sdb9

I already did dd if=/home/david/os-new.nb of=/dev/sdb3

Well, I screwed up =\

Now it gets recognized in windows as qualcomm device, but it won't show up in ubuntu.

I made a full backup of it though.. You got any ideas?

Anyways in the end, I phoned tmobile up, they said they will send me a new one. I will be retrying this when I get that new lumia
Yeah, I guess you're pretty much screwed now. I don't get why people without a understanding of the DD command use it. Either way this procedure is still far away from being stable. You could try to reflash the third Partition if you have a backup somewhere. But if you don't you can only get a replacment device.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisKringel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wardoc22
Old
(Last edited by wardoc22; 29th April 2012 at 06:17 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKringel View Post
Yeah, I guess you're pretty much screwed now. I don't get why people without a understanding of the DD command use it. Either way this procedure is still far away from being stable. You could try to reflash the third Partition if you have a backup somewhere. But if you don't you can only get a replacment device.
Well I do have an understanding of what the command is and what every part of it means now... We learn from experience lol. I never had a huge experience with linux haha.

I will try to explain this as best as I can, to make sure I am correct, and to try to clarify the command for other people confused.

"if=./os-new.nb"

This specifies the file path of where your os-new.nb file is. So for example, the location of my .nb file is:

"/home/david/os-new.nb" so I would do "if=/home/david/os-new.nb"

of=/dev/sdX9

This specify the location of where you are copying the .nb file to.

For this, you would just have to replace the "X", and only the X, which is in terms of the letter your device turns up in linux as. This was the part I got confused on. It showed up as sdb3 on my machine, which I thought that I would have to replace the entire sdx9 with it.

To find out the letter, in terminal, type in

"df"

It will lists all your active drives. Mine shows up as the latter B, under the name windows device. So I would do

"of=/dev/sdb9"

So to put it all together, the command I would type in is:

"dd if=/home/david/os-new.nb of=/dev/sdb9"

Am I correct?

And also, if there a way to flash your lumia from within windows? Cause it still shows up as a USB drive in windows like usual but it refuses to show up in ubuntu.

wardoc22
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
And also, I gave up trying to make it show up on ubuntu and tried it on my uncle's mac.

Heres what I got.

I flashed the wrong partition, which was partition 3. So I am wondering if anyone can make an IMG file for partition 3 for me(lumia 710, unlocked qualcomm bootloader) then might be able recover it.

Worth a shot I guess as I will be getting a new lumia anyways.. And I might not have to be stuck with no phone for 10 days lol.