Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Running Rooted 3.2.1 to ICS? Do I unroot?

OP tu3218

27th April 2012, 08:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 270

2,609 posts
I'm running completely stock, no rom anything. Just flashed updates from users here to update me to the latest HC. I received the ICS update but pretty sure it won't work since I'm rooted and running CWM recovery. What do I need to do to install ICS? thanks
29th April 2012, 02:29 AM   |  #2  
Flag Caracas
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu3218

I'm running completely stock, no rom anything. Just flashed updates from users here to update me to the latest HC. I received the ICS update but pretty sure it won't work since I'm rooted and running CWM recovery. What do I need to do to install ICS? thanks

Same question here

Sent from my A500 using XDA
29th April 2012, 03:54 AM   |  #3  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0rr

Same question here

I am in the same camp.
I'm running a rooted 3.2 stock by Timmy Dean.
I'm happy I didn't jump the gun when I Saw the update last night, because it seems I would have truly been screwed.

What I would like to know is if a rooted 3.2 can simply be unrooted. Seems this would the simplest thing to do.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
29th April 2012, 04:04 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

2,609 posts
Apparently the root doesn't matter. It will just be removed when we install the ota ICS. What worries me is recovery. Because it has to boot into a recovery to install ICS. I had CWM installed then flashed to stock by acer recovery tool in the play store. But when I manually boot into recovery, I get a exclamation point inside a triangle. What recovery are you guys running?
29th April 2012, 03:00 PM   |  #5  
Flag Caracas

15 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu3218

Apparently the root doesn't matter. It will just be removed when we install the ota ICS. What worries me is recovery. Because it has to boot into a recovery to install ICS. I had CWM installed then flashed to stock by acer recovery tool in the play store. But when I manually boot into recovery, I get a exclamation point inside a triangle. What recovery are you guys running?

I have CWM recovery by thor2002. I think we can't update via ITS unless we flash original recovery

29th April 2012, 04:22 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

2,609 posts
Quote:

I have CWM recovery by thor2002. I think we can't update via ITS unless we flash original recovery

Yeah I think so as well. I flashed stock via the Acer recovery tool but I get nothing when I boot into recovery except what I stated above. I'm not sure if that's right or not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
29th April 2012, 07:47 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 31

167 posts
I was happily running timmydean's rooted 3.2.1 based on the leaked OTA. The ICS upgrade came through and installed just fine. No loss of data and the programs I tried all worked. I was on stock 4.0.4 unrooted.

However, I'm now borked. I rebooted into recovery (Power, Vol -) to see about rooting via the backdoor I'd installed. I had thor's 1.7 Touch CWM recovery installed. I got some weird message that recovery was broken. (Don't recall the exact msg.)

After that, it hung on the "android" screen. Soft-bricked.

So I did a factory reset (Power, vol+, rock screen switch) and ended up back on 3.2.1. Now, the Settings > About > Check update results in the "Network coverage is currently poor. Please move to a location with better coverage to continue." message.

My WiFi is fine, speedtest.net reports a 20 Mbps download. All other apps function well. I'm pulling a DCHP address from my router.

I'm fairly sure this is a badly-worded error message from Acer and actually refers to server overload or some other issue on their end.

Also, installing the latest Acer Iconia Update preps the system for ICS. At one point, installing it allowed the update to proceed, but not to ICS. Uninstalling/reinstalling that update seemed to jog the system at one time.

So I tried wiping data/cache/dalvik and went back to stock 3.2. Same error message when updating. Wiped again and went back to stock 3.0.1. Same error message.

So I'm stuck and am going to give it a few days to see if Acer can sort out their upgrade path. If not, I will probably load CM9 or Thor's ICS ROM. (I do have a Nandroid, so I can get back to where I was pre-ICS.)

All in all, I'm very disappointed in Acer for borking my tablet.
________
Update: So now a day later, the "poor coverage" message was replaced by an "update available". Installed A500_7.014.03_com_gen1, after reboot, another update A500_7.014.15_com_gen1 installed. I am now on stock 3.2.1.

System update shows "Your device is up to date".

Will see what tomorrow brings, but this is certainly frustrating.
Last edited by jpinsl; 1st May 2012 at 01:12 AM. Reason: update
30th April 2012, 01:45 AM   |  #8  
Flag Shake City
Thanks Meter: 445

1,573 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne75

I am in the same camp.
I'm running a rooted 3.2 stock by Timmy Dean.
I'm happy I didn't jump the gun when I Saw the update last night, because it seems I would have truly been screwed.

What I would like to know is if a rooted 3.2 can simply be unrooted. Seems this would the simplest thing to do.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Could you guys running the backdoor and still rooted please try this:

1) Try and capture the build no. of the update
2) See if the update will download BUT do not install yet
3) Go to /cache/fota/ and find the zip -
4) copy it to yr external sd
5) post back the build no.
thanks!!!

Procedure for manual install:
1/ rename the file as : update.zip
2/ place the file on the micro sd card
3/ turn off the tablet
4/ press the down volume key and the power button at the same time untill the tablets turns on
5/ the iconia will start the upgrade process by itself.

OR just redownload the update and it install

I had trouble when i reverted to stock in the weekend
and it was a bit of a process to get the OTA's to 3.2.1.
I did manage to hold "full root" but had to revert a couple of times
by putting stock recovery back and using backdoor .
I accidentally factory reset and everything went a bit pear shaped from there...oops!!

Im still waiting for the OTA ICS - getting network coverage error -one good thing
is my partners tab is only 5 days old and still pure factory,
her tab shows same error so at least we know its not root/backdoor problem
So yeah if u gonna take the OTA best to get rid of the backdoor unless you wanna play guinea pig for us all>>>>
dunno why we aint found one of those yet

I dont think you can cause too much of a problem where a "hard reset" pwr/vol -/rotation lock/ combo wont fix...you can then root from there.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Quote:

hi 3d0rr!!

i think those of us with the backdoor should be meticulous if/when taking the OTA.
we shouldnt need to unroot and use stock recovery as the ota should get rid of that in the flash. But to ensure a stress free OTA it may pay to do it anyway.

i know you previously told me u were stock gen 1 - but is that from factory, just finished reading a very interesting post regarding the different 'gens' so i for one am sticking with factory build gen :just for the official OTA anyway:
30th April 2012, 02:58 AM   |  #9  
Flag Caracas

15 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibb_nz

hi 3d0rr!!

i think those of us with the backdoor should be meticulous if/when taking the OTA.
we shouldnt need to unroot and use stock recovery as the ota should get rid of that in the flash. But to ensure a stress free OTA it may pay to do it anyway.

i know you previously told me u were stock gen 1 - but is that from factory, just finished reading a very interesting post regarding the different 'gens' so i for one am sticking with factory build gen :just for the official OTA anyway:

Dibb_nz, I was stock gen 2. I don't wanna take OTA until be sure it's safe. Unless now I know that a hard factory reset may save my tab if something happen.

Can you tell us where did you read that post about 'gens'? I still a little confuse about that

30th April 2012, 03:01 AM   |  #10  
Flag Caracas

15 posts
Donate to Me
More
BTW, the network coverage errors seems to be an Acer's error. First I received OTA and a day after that I see that error on my tab. And a couple of hours later I have OTA again. So, don't worry, you should get OTA asap

Last edited by 3d0rr; 30th April 2012 at 03:04 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread