Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,312 Members 39,037 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problems with Nandroid advanced restore

Tip us?

paperskye
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Problems with Nandroid advanced restore

I actually have two questions here.

I'm trying to do an advance restore of the data from a previous backup using CWM. recovery 5.0.2.7 and having some problems.

In recovery, when I click on 'advanced restore' I am told there are no files. I then choose the regular 'restore' option and it shows the files to choose from.
I can then go back one screen and select 'advanced restore' again and it will now display the list of backups. When I select a backup and try to restore the data, I get a MD5 mismatch error. This happens when I try to do an advanced restore with any of my backups, not just a certain one. Also, I can do a normal restore without any problems.

I tried this:
http://www.geekdevs.com/2011/10/solv...-clockworkmod/

Then this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1606047

I've read several threads but most of them seem to be solved after trying one of the above methods. I also haven't seen any that describe the backup list not displaying at first.

Secondly, I found this problem because I'm running Pyr'o'Ice ICS Desensed 1.1.3 and stupidly tried to tether with wifi and my phone got stuck in a reboot loop. I want to restore the userdata via Nandroid recovery, but will that also restore the tether setting that causes that bug?
My main issue is with the Nandroid recovery, but I thought someone reading this might also know the answer to that question also.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Emmanuel U
Old
(Last edited by Emmanuel U; 28th April 2012 at 05:06 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,091
Edit: (didn't read whole post)
1. Open your sdcard on pc (usb mounted)
2. ensure there is a folder in clockworkmod/backup (ex: 2011-08-10.02.40.28)

if your sure the nandroid isn't corrupted and you want to restore it anyway, you can modify the md5sum.
1. go get a md5sum checker
2.With your phone mounted on your pc...go into the clockworkmod/backups/(yourbackups folder)
3. md5 sum all the images in there (write it down somewhere)
4. open the nandroid.md5 with a text editor
5. replace the md5s with the ones you wrote down
6. Try restoring it again
T-Mobile Galaxy S2 myTouch 4G Slide, myTouch 4G, HTC Dream

Xmc Wildchild22

Bonus Dropbox space
- 20GB of Hosting from Copy

Github

Click Me for My File Backups

Active Releases
KitKatDS | WildKernel | Tame
Deprecated Releases

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmanuel U For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KingCheetah
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Question This doesn't appear to do anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmc wildchild22 View Post

if your sure the nandroid isn't corrupted and you want to restore it anyway, you can modify the md5sum.
2.With your phone mounted on your pc...go into the clockworkmod/backups/(yourbackups folder)
I'm having exactly the same problem as the OP, and I'm not sure how this will help as all md5sum does is give the md5s listed in the nandroid.md5 file. Using this method, all one is doing is putting the exact same md5s over what is there in the nandroid.md5 file.

I really need a method to make the Nandroid Advance Restore work in order to get back my data after updating to 1.63.531.2.

Any other suggestions? --
--
KingCheetah

Emmanuel U
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,091
y do u guys need to advanced restore...just restore

Xmc Wildchild22

Bonus Dropbox space

Github

Active Releases
Deprecated Releases

KingCheetah
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
y do u guys need to advanced restore...just restore
Heh, well, in my case, I'm trying not to have to restore my phone from scratch after updating to 1.63.531.2, as well as keep the update. A straight restore will just take me back to DS Mod 1.55.531.3. Advanced Restore would allow restoration of data without overwriting the boot.img, system, etc.

So, no further methods to try to address this error?
--
KingCheetah

Emmanuel U
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,091
then take the system.img from the 1.63 update and put in replace of the nandroids one....then redo the md5 checksum for the system.img like i had showed before

Xmc Wildchild22

Bonus Dropbox space

Github

Active Releases
Deprecated Releases

The Following User Says Thank You to Emmanuel U For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

paperskye
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:

The md5s are already the same.
That also doesn't address the issue why I am told that there are no files found when I try the advanced restore option without first going to the regular restore and backing out.
The Following User Says Thank You to paperskye For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KingCheetah
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Lightbulb Investigation ongoing, but an idea to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperskye View Post
The md5s are already the same.
That also doesn't address the issue why I am told that there are no files found when I try the advanced restore option without first going to the regular restore and backing out.
This may have something to do with the way in which CWM 5.0.2.7 saves the majority of data to tar files instead of img files. This behavior of CWM is part of the discussion in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1624516

Yogi2010 made the suggestion of using the Modaco 4.0.0.9 recovery for backups that can be successfully used with Advanced Restore. I believe Modaco's AR works because it saves all data to img files.

I'm going to attempt an update to 1.63 using Modaco for backup and then AR of data afterward. If successful, we know that Modaco is the key for utilizing AR due to the file type it uses for data storage.

Why CWM 5.0.2.7 behaves as it does regarding AR remains an open question.

I'll report back to this thread with results after my update attempt --
--
KingCheetah

KingCheetah
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Thumbs up Modaco functional with Advanced Restore

I used the Modaco 4.0.0.9 recovery for my backup prior to updating to 1.63, then followed with an Advanced Restore of data afterward, which successfully restored my phone environment. So AR is functional with Modaco, but not CWM 5.0.2.7. I don't know for certain if the fact that CWM uses tar files has something to do with its inability to execute AR, but it certainly seems like this is a contributing factor.

I'm going to Google this and see if I can come up with any further info on CWM that might explain its behavior.

So far, it's Modaco FTW. Itz on my fone, reestoring my data --
--
KingCheetah

paperskye
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Did you use this to get Modaco? I noticed it says you must have s-off but in your thread you said you have s-on.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1179125

My problem is that with the data I want to restore, my phone gets stuck in a boot loop. I am thinking that I might be able to install Modaco, restore the data where I can't start up my phone and then do a Modaco backup while still in recovery. Then restore a functioning backup (so my phone boots up) and finally do an advanced restore where I only restore the data I need from the bootloop backup.

The Following User Says Thank You to paperskye For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]