Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,908 Members 53,415 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What else should I buy?

Tip us?

texstar
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetoon View Post
I checked today and I should have it next week sometime. I hope.

Still thinking about that Nook color and doing a root. I would not want to run as a B&N Nook. I'd want full Android for sure. Plus, I'm a Kindle user. So, I'd prefer the Kindle reading app.
Something to play with without having to risk your Prime for sure.

georgetoon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hmmm...great suggestions up here. If I do get the extra $$$$, Nook color and then rooting it would be fun! I've looked on youtube for directions. is there anything definitive up here on XDA on how to do this?

georgetoon
Old
(Last edited by georgetoon; 26th April 2012 at 05:49 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Okay, I found this:

http://n2acards.com/how-it-works

So, for $135.00 plus another $35.00, I'd have an Android device AND a Nook.

What's the performance like? Anyone know?

bopfan
Old
(Last edited by bopfan; 27th April 2012 at 02:30 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default CM7 on a color nook

Mark: Go for a refurbed unit. you can pick em up on a ebay or overstock.com. B&N unloads the refurbs in both places. Or look for a used one on CraigsList. Don't spend more than $130 to $150. And $150 sounds high to me.

Just my opinion but I think you are just throwing away $35 for that card. If you have a medium speed microsd card laying around the house you can do it yourself. In my experience, and I have done about 15 to 20 cards for friends, your best bet is a 16 or 32 GB medium speed card from a reputable company. Hard to go wrong with Sandisk. I have had horrible experiences with Class 10 cards. They just never worked; lots and lots of crashes and forced closures. Huge improvement by using Class 4 cards. Cheaper and they work so much better.

If you Google instructions for turning you Nook into an android tablet and you will come up with a ton of (easy) instructions. Great instructions here on XDA just do a search.

If by any chance you are a Mac user send me a private message. I will send you a link to my Box for the whole kit and kaboodle for free. You can download the instructions and the required files. You can make the card and turn the Nook into a great little 7" android tablet in about 20 minutes. With a bathroom break.

I gave my Nook to my daughter when I got a 7" Galaxy. In some ways I like the Nook better than the Galaxy.

Performance is ok. With the hack I have you can kick the processor speed up a bit. It's fine for simple stuff. I even enjoyed watching movies on it. I used Handbrake to convert ripped videos into a format that worked fine on the Nook. It's a 7" screen. So it's never gonna resemble your 55" 240HZ LED but its fine to watch on a plane. I think its pretty amazing for the cost. You can access apps from the Market (damn I mean Google Play). I used Pulse on mine and it worked fine. Not much of a gamer so I can't share anything.

The version of CM7 I have allows you to dual boot from the card. If the card is not in the Nook it will operate just like a stock B&N Nook. Put the card in and you will get boot screen on startup. Its fine for reading too.

georgetoon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopfan View Post
Mark: Go for a refurbed unit. you can pick em up on a ebay or overstock.com. B&N unloads the refurbs in both places. Or look for a used one on CraigsList. Don't spend more than $130 to $150. And $150 sounds high to me.

Just my opinion but I think you are just throwing away $35 for that card. If you have a medium speed microsd card laying around the house you can do it yourself. In my experience, and I have done about 15 to 20 cards for friends, your best bet is a 16 or 32 GB medium speed card from a reputable company. Hard to go wrong with Sandisk. I have had horrible experiences with Class 10 cards. They just never worked; lots and lots of crashes and forced closures. Huge improvement by using Class 4 cards. Cheaper and they work so much better.

If you Google instructions for turning you Nook into an android tablet and you will come up with a ton of (easy) instructions. Great instructions here on XDA just do a search.

If by any chance you are a Mac user send me a private message. I will send you a link to my Box for the whole kit and kaboodle for free. You can download the instructions and the required files. You can make the card and turn the Nook into a great little 7" android tablet in about 20 minutes. With a bathroom break.

I gave my Nook to my daughter when I got a 7" Galaxy. In some ways I like the Nook better than the Galaxy.

Performance is ok. With the hack I have you can kick the processor speed up a bit. It's fine for simple stuff. I even enjoyed watching movies on it. I used Handbrake to convert ripped videos into a format that worked fine on the Nook. It's a 7" screen. So it's never gonna resemble your 55" 240HZ LED but its fine to watch on a plane. I think its pretty amazing for the cost. You can access apps from the Market (damn I mean Google Play). I used Pulse on mine and it worked fine. Not much of a gamer so I can't share anything.

The version of CM7 I have allows you to dual boot from the card. If the card is not in the Nook it will operate just like a stock B&N Nook. Put the card in and you will get boot screen on startup. Its fine for reading too.
Wow! Thank you so much for all this info.

Unfortunately, I'm not a Mac user. I'm a Linux guy. I've done my share of installs and disk wipes to get Linux on a system, so I'm familair with these processes. So, yeah, after you spelled it all out, $35.00 is a bit steep when I can do it myself.

texstar
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Not sure if this would be of any interest but newegg has asus tf101 refurbished for 274.00.

bopfan
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Wow! Thank you so much for all this info.

Unfortunately, I'm not a Mac user. I'm a Linux guy. I've done my share of installs and disk wipes to get Linux on a system, so I'm familair with these processes. So, yeah, after you spelled it all out, $35.00 is a bit steep when I can do it myself.
It's stupid simple. in the Mac I just used Terminal to enter the 'linux' instructions.

gotta be every bit as simple on a Linux box. And on-liine instructions will be super easy to find.

Again, I would recommend the original color nook - cheap, thin, light, almost pocketable - and different enuf from the Prime to make it a nice addition to your mobile needs.

georgetoon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopfan View Post
It's stupid simple. in the Mac I just used Terminal to enter the 'linux' instructions.

gotta be every bit as simple on a Linux box. And on-liine instructions will be super easy to find.

Again, I would recommend the original color nook - cheap, thin, light, almost pocketable - and different enuf from the Prime to make it a nice addition to your mobile needs.
Okay. My Prime has been repaired and shipped. I should get it by Wednesday. As soon as it's back up and running, I just may do the Nook thing.

HiroMasaki
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Okay. My Prime has been repaired and shipped. I should get it by Wednesday. As soon as it's back up and running, I just may do the Nook thing.
Please let us know how the repair goes. They had mine for an equal amount of time and, well... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1618047

mmkaplan
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Has anyone else sent in their Prime to Asus for repair that can comment on the turn-around time and the costs?

Tags
compliment, prime, tablet