Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,406 Members 42,382 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Donations on XDA: Good or Bad?

Tip us?

GrimReaper24
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1089
Well they are good for the coffee pot If your helping via pm 1 hr or more or if someone wants somethin done and offers it.

Nothin wrong with em.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium
-XDA MODERATOR-
HERE TO HELP.
Drop me a thanks if you liked the help.

sgt. slaughter
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2888
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper24 View Post
Well they are good for the coffee pot If your helping via pm 1 hr or more or if someone wants somethin done and offers it.

Nothin wrong with em.

Says the guy with the Signature asking for Thanks....JKJKJK

sorry couldn't help it Reaper. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to sgt. slaughter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SteelH
Old
Thanks Meter 2897
U haz doughnationz?

GrimReaper24
Old
(Last edited by GrimReaper24; 29th April 2012 at 03:06 AM.)
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt. slaughter View Post
Says the guy with the Signature asking for Thanks....JKJKJK

sorry couldn't help it Reaper. lol
Lol I tend to help the needy .
Well we all do our best to help I am online a lot at night. During the day things get busy.
-XDA MODERATOR-
HERE TO HELP.

SoraX64
Old
Thanks Meter 637
Instead of posting a long message, which I actually had typed up, I would rather say this:

People like newtoroot and twistedumbrella deserve donations. Why?
-newt fixed data and Wi-Fi on Sense 4.0; something No other developer has done
-twisted has been working tirelessly on things like camera and USB storage for ICS ROMs. He is attempting to make something work from nothing.

Most people that develop do NOT deserve donations. Why?
-Almost every single ROM that is released is "optimized"
-Almost every single ROM that is released has "battery tweaks"
-Almost every single ROM that is released has "speed tweaks"
-Almost every single ROM that is released includes the above and is themed.

I personally believe that the line to draw is whether something is being created or not. I don't like the term "cut-and-paste" developers, but for a lot of people, I would say that it is applicable. I understand that everyone wants their shot at fame, and that's fine. Post all of the work that you want. I just think that those works won't be able to set themselves apart from the work that makes Android special. Like:

-The CyanogenMod project
-MIUI
-Sense 4.0 development on a phone that will never get Sense 4.0

Those are the works that deserve donations, in my opinion. CM has to maintain build servers for the myriad of devices they support; MIUI is a port from a foreign language ROM that provides an experience unlike no other on Android, and it is a massive undertaking; and the Sense 4.0 development has required new devices to be purchased, and new methods of making things work to be devised.

I think that if you are handed something where everything works and you decide to add your own enhancements for it, that you do not deserve money for that. HTC releases an update where everything works, and people add more features that may break those things. The people working on those aren't making any magic happening. I do not mean to offend anyone, but in my experience with most ROMs, well.. the experience hasn't been too different. Except for the first time I used CyanogenMod. Or the first time I used MIUI. Or the first time I used Sense 3.0 on my OG Evo. Or just the other day, when I was able to use Sense 4.0 on my Evo 3D. I've used Warm, Eternity, ViperROM, MeanROM, Android Revolution, CleanROM, SupraROM.. many, many ROMs. But I have never felt any sort of spark from them. I've enjoyed them, and used them plenty, but I haven't stopped and looked at my phone and said, "Wow, this is something special."

I think that it is perfectly okay to provide a donation link, no matter who you are. If you are going to require donations to "keep working", well, I think that is wrong, but that is your decision. If you need money in order to work on these phones, you should consider finding a profession in this stuff. If you are working on ROMs and you need money in order to do it, then you shouldn't be doing it. This isn't supposed to be about making a living (if you want to do that, make apps). It's about being part of a community that shares.

If you want money, that's fine. I want money. Who doesn't want money? It'd be neat to be able to make a little money on the side sharing work. But don't release something to the community EXPECTING to be paid for it. That's not what this is about.

If you want to donate, that's fine too. It's your money. Just think about where you're putting it. If you truly believe that someone deserves the money, then give it to them. Just don't expect your money to mean much in the long run.
Like gaming? Check out my site, where my friend and I livestream as we play!
Phone: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4GHz, AMD Radeon HD6870 OC'd, 12GB DDR3 RAM
Laptop: HP Envy 15 3200t; i7-3610m @ 2.3GHz, AMD Radeon 7750m, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Radiance display
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SoraX64 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GrimReaper24
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraX64 View Post
Instead of posting a long message, which I actually had typed up, I would rather say this:

-twisted has been working tirelessly on things like camera and USB storage for ICS ROMs. He is attempting to make something work from nothing.

I personally believe that the line to draw is whether something is being created or not. I don't like the term "cut-and-paste" developers, but for a lot of people, I would say that it is applicable. I understand that everyone wants their shot at fame, and that's fine. Post all of the work that you want. I just think that those works won't be able to set themselves apart from the work that makes Android special. Like:

-The CyanogenMod project
-MIUI

Those are the works that deserve donations, in my opinion. CM has to maintain build servers for the myriad of devices they support; MIUI is a port from a foreign language ROM that provides an experience unlike no other on Android, and it is a massive undertaking; and the Sense 4.0 development has required new devices to be purchased, and new methods of making things work to be devised.

I think that if you are handed something where everything works and you decide to add your own enhancements for it, that you do not deserve money for that. HTC releases an update where everything works, and people add more features that may break those things. The people working on those aren't making any magic happening. I do not mean to offend anyone, but in my experience with most ROMs, well.. the experience hasn't been too different. Except for the first time I used CyanogenMod. Or the first time I used MIUI. Or the first time I used Sense 3.0 on my OG Evo. Or just the other day, when I was able to use Sense 4.0 on my Evo 3D. I've used Warm, Eternity, ViperROM, MeanROM, Android Revolution, CleanROM, SupraROM.. many, many ROMs. But I have never felt any sort of spark from them. I've enjoyed them, and used them plenty, but I haven't stopped and looked at my phone and said, "Wow, this is something special."

I think that it is perfectly okay to provide a donation link, no matter who you are. If you are going to require donations to "keep working", well, I think that is wrong, but that is your decision. If you need money in order to work on these phones, you should consider finding a profession in this stuff. If you are working on ROMs and you need money in order to do it, then you shouldn't be doing it. This isn't supposed to be about making a living (if you want to do that, make apps). It's about being part of a community that shares.

If you want money, that's fine. I want money. Who doesn't want money? It'd be neat to be able to make a little money on the side sharing work. But don't release something to the community EXPECTING to be paid for it. That's not what this is about.

If you want to donate, that's fine too. It's your money. Just think about where you're putting it. If you truly believe that someone deserves the money, then give it to them. Just don't expect your money to mean much in the long run.
Pretty much your sayin don't expect it but if someone wants to give ya some its cool . Which most devs and peeps don't go asking for handouts on cash

-XDA MODERATOR-
HERE TO HELP.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrimReaper24 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SoraX64
Old
Thanks Meter 637
Quote:
Pretty much your sayin don't expect it but if someone wants to give ya some its cool . Which most devs and peeps don't go asking for handouts on cash

Yeah, that sums it up. If you don't want money from the community, don't give a donate link. If you're providing a link, that's one way of asking, because you're giving them the way to transfer the money to you.

Asking and begging are two different things though.
Laptop: HP Envy 15 3200t; i7-3610m @ 2.3GHz, AMD Radeon 7750m, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Radiance display

yousefak
Old
Thanks Meter 850
Quote:

Your avatar is pretty cool, but it's kind of unsettling at 2AM in the morning in complete darkness and when I am compelled to keep looking at it for some reason...
The Following User Says Thank You to yousefak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

freeza
Old
(Last edited by freeza; 29th April 2012 at 05:02 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 9486

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraX64 View Post

-The CyanogenMod project
-MIUI

Precisely! I don't have a problem with donations as a whole. It's the way people go about trying to get them with phrases about it being "appreciated but not needed" in big letters right above a PayPal link for something like a modified apk that they got from another thread on this forum...or for a ROM that does nothing but skin the notif bar & battery icons.

SoraX64
Old
Thanks Meter 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
Precisely! I don't have a problem with donations as a whole. It's the way people go about trying to get them with phrases about it being "appreciated but not needed" in big letters right above a PayPal link for something like a modified apk that they got from another thread on this forum...or for a ROM that does nothing but skin the notif bar & battery icons.
Exactly, exactly. I agree with you completely.