Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,925 Members 52,497 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] What to do if you get the UPDATE Notification (OTA) while rooted.

Tip us?

MBIER
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default titanium backup

Hey just a side note if you really want titanium back up and you dont want to pay for the pro the developer has released the pro apk on here a few times and all you have to do is install it. just search titanium backup pro apk in the search field and install it works like a charm everytime!

AlchemistAndroid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I thought that samsung recently took the update off their site as far as an estimated time frame goes. Is this wrong?

mknewman
Old
Thanks Meter 55

DONATE TO ME
Just saw this:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/04/s...nlocked-galax/

So you paid attention to pundits and bought that Galaxy S II outright in the hopes that future software updates would arrive on your device first. And then reality came crashing in. It appears SIM-free is not the way Samsung wants consumers to be, as carrier-agnostic handsets in the UK will be the last to receive Ice Cream Sandwich. The move, though frustrating for many, is not as arbitrary and unfair as it might initially appear to be. Speaking to CNET UK, a company rep confirmed that this upgrade delay has everything to do with cross-carrier testing, compatibility and approval, owing to the "variety of networks" unlocked GS II's can access. Once it does get an unanimous greenlight, however, expect to see the final leg of that TouchWizzed Android 4.0 roll out commence.

rkymtndave
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default rooted with stock

I did the update after rooting to get rid of bloatware, the update took just fine. only thing I had to do was reroot the phone.

big7dave
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default exactly what was on my mind...

very helpful info as I was wondering the exact thing at OTA updates and my rooted TMO GS2. thank you!

flashfox
Old
Thanks Meter 3
rkymtndave <-- Am I misunderstanding something here, but did you manage to get an update while your SGS2 was rooted?

I ask as my SGS2 is rooted but still running the standard ROM. I had read that we will NOT be able to get the upcoming ICS "pushed" update unless we un-root. I assume that one can still get the update by "pulling it" from Samsung via KIES once the update is made available.

Just asking as I do want ICS and I wonder if I have to go through the whole initialization process (wipe, reload stock ROM, etc.) or if there is an easier way?
==============================
T-Mobile | HTC ONE 32GB (Stock ROM)
Google Nexus 7 (32GB) with stock ROM

Chochiwpg
Old
Thanks Meter 2140
Is the stock recovery from Telus T989D the same as T-Mobile T989?

Currently, I am just running the stock Telus ROM that came with my phone. However, I am rooted and I do have CWM Recovery installed as well so I can make backups or flash ROM's if I choose.

From my understanding, when the ICS update becomes available I can use ES file explorer to remove root by deleting both wssync apk's under /system/app. Then reboot.

I would also have to install the stock recovery on my phone. Where can I find the Telus stock recover or can I use T-Mobile version? Also, would I install the stock recovery with odin after I remove the wssync apk's to remove root or before?

Once the update has been downloaded and installed, what is the best way to re-root the device since it will now be on ICS? Thanks.
You Are Either Nexus Or Against Us

My Android File Host Profile
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=pr...17610006234125

SimpleAOSP Hammerhead Builds
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=16341

isisnx
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
thanks for info man

rkymtndave
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfox View Post
rkymtndave <-- Am I misunderstanding something here, but did you manage to get an update while your SGS2 was rooted?

I ask as my SGS2 is rooted but still running the standard ROM. I had read that we will NOT be able to get the upcoming ICS "pushed" update unless we un-root. I assume that one can still get the update by "pulling it" from Samsung via KIES once the update is made available.

Just asking as I do want ICS and I wonder if I have to go through the whole initialization process (wipe, reload stock ROM, etc.) or if there is an easier way?
I did the update through Kies and it does update and rebloats the phone and unroots, but a quick root and download no bloat and good as new.

frankencat
Old
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
So what is this update and is it worth the trouble?
Samsung Galaxy S II
# Stock Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
# Rooted & Tweaked
# ClockWorkMod Recovery
# Apex Launcher

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
# Stock (for now)