Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,559 Members 52,579 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Donations on XDA: Good or Bad?

Tip us?

GrimReaper24
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefak View Post
Your avatar is pretty cool, but it's kind of unsettling at 2AM in the morning in complete darkness and when I am compelled to keep looking at it for some reason...
Don't fear the reaper lol. Also a great song .

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium
-XDA MODERATOR-
HERE TO HELP.
Drop me a thanks if you liked the help.

GrimReaper24
Old
(Last edited by GrimReaper24; 29th April 2012 at 06:15 AM.)
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
Precisely! I don't have a problem with donations as a whole. It's the way people go about trying to get them with phrases about it being "appreciated but not needed" in big letters right above a PayPal link for something like a modified apk that they got from another thread on this forum...or for a ROM that does nothing but skin the notif bar & battery icons.
Lol ya I have seen links like that and they are over kill . What rom are you takin about ? I only seen a few of em but in other sections . Nothin wrong with pimpin somethin and tweaking it

Tho to me a true dev is one that whips stuff up from scratch like ground on up.
-XDA MODERATOR-
HERE TO HELP.

SoraX64
Old
Thanks Meter 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper24 View Post
Don't fear the reaper lol. Also a great song .

I think I prefer Follow the Reaper.

(Skip to around 1:50 for the actual song :P)
Like gaming? Check out my site, where my friend and I livestream as we play!
Phone: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4GHz, AMD Radeon HD6870 OC'd, 12GB DDR3 RAM
Laptop: HP Envy 15 3200t; i7-3610m @ 2.3GHz, AMD Radeon 7750m, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Radiance display
The Following User Says Thank You to SoraX64 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

freeza
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 9486

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper24 View Post
Lol ya I have seen links like that and they are over kill . What rom are you takin about ? I only seen a few of em but in other sections .

I don't have any ROMs in particular in mind, but I have seen a quite a bit during my time here on XDA.

GrimReaper24
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
I don't have any ROMs in particular in mind, but I have seen a quite a bit during my time here on XDA.
I don't have any problems with the donate link xda provides. I just think it does go over kill with a insane Sig in bold red sayin pay me lol.
Anyway hope you guys have a good weekend .
-XDA MODERATOR-
HERE TO HELP.

Atomix86
Old
Thanks Meter 261
I do not donate because as you said, most devs are not developers at all, simply modifiers and tweakers of software created by the companies selling the phones. A true developer (eg someone who can write fresh code such as a camera driver for ICS or similar) would be a much more viable candidate to receive a donation, however this won't happen as seemingly no dev is able to actually code, instead waiting for official software. Until "developing" becomes more than copy-paste with a couple tweaks, I do not believe donations should be requested.

Sent via carrier pigeon
Daily Driver
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Shiny ROM Android 4.4.4 KTU84P

Other Phones
BlackBerry Bold 9650, HTC Wildfire S

GrimReaper24
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomix86 View Post
I do not donate because as you said, most devs are not developers at all, simply modifiers and tweakers of software created by the companies selling the phones. A true developer (eg someone who can write fresh code such as a camera driver for ICS or similar) would be a much more viable candidate to receive a donation, however this won't happen as seemingly no dev is able to actually code, instead waiting for official software. Until "developing" becomes more than copy-paste with a couple tweaks, I do not believe donations should be requested.

Sent via carrier pigeon
Ya . I don't see a problem tho if someone wants to buy a person a beer or coffee tho for a bunch of help or a project on the side like a personal request . If they want to and that is on there own free will. Never ask or request.

-XDA MODERATOR-
HERE TO HELP.

ssojyeti2
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 2636

DONATE TO ME
I think much worse than asking for money to continue deving (which I don't agree with don't get me wrong...) is taking someone else's work and selling it (basically plagerism<----not sure how to spell that.) Back in the nook color days, this dev Racks would create SD card images for other people to be able to dual-boot their nooks. It was awesome, and the nooks were finally fun to use. This guy deserved a donation. But this company nook2android came along and started taking his images, writing them to the SD cards, and selling them for 60 to 80 bucks apiece. The business was booming for them and they even had their own website. That is horrible and in my opinion they could have got sued for that, because all they did is steal Racks's work and profit on it.

jamesclinton
Old
Thanks Meter 1581
Default Do agree

I do agree with OP, if i were to be a developer i think i'll be more happier seeing people use what i created but if people wish to donate then fine.

I do respect developers who always try to make something for the community e.g madmaxx82 for 4ext .... i think people like this will always get donation even if they donīt ask.

DONīT 4GET TO CLICK THANKS BUTTON

sgt. slaughter
Old
(Last edited by sgt. slaughter; 29th April 2012 at 05:55 PM.)
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2888
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesclinton View Post
I do agree with OP, if i were to be a developer i think i'll be more happier seeing people use what i created but if people wish to donate then fine.

I do respect developers who always try to make something for the community e.g madmaxx82 for 4ext .... i think people like this will always get donation even if they donīt ask.
hey man how about a little signature control there....thats a little too far bud for that virtuous image...ish shouldn't be near that big. And also since we are on the topic of things, that big giant "DON't 4GET TO CLICK THANKS BUTTON".....you might as well be asking for donations. lol

shouldn't have to ask for the things. lol

The Following User Says Thank You to sgt. slaughter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]